Author Topic: What foil? Go foil GL/NL quiver or change everything and buy brand.....  (Read 8211 times)

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: What foil? Go foil GL/NL quiver or change everything and buy brand.....
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2021, 08:05:59 PM »
I second what PonoBill said above.

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: What foil? Go foil GL/NL quiver or change everything and buy brand.....
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2021, 09:15:26 PM »
Naish kites-ASD surfboards fortaleza brasil,Kalama supfoil.AXIS foils

FedorBOS

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Beasho - I'm curious if you have thoughts on the NL 220, if you have ridden it. Any reason to go GL 210 over NL 220? Thanks

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
My personal progression:
M160 -> IWA/M200 -> GL210/180 -> NL220/190

Each step in the progression was a huge revelation.  So, yes, the NL is quite a step up from the GL.

All that said - I am now 100% on Takuma 980/1210.    The 1210 should be similar to the NL160 and the 980 similar to the NL130.

These are dramatically smaller foils and I am riding them in all conditions - I am 200# dry and probably #210 with wetsuit/paddle.  Over the last few months, when the conditions have been really small I got temped to go back to the bigger foils because I keep thinking that they will have more lift to carry me on weak waves.  Nope, every single time I went in and swapped back to the 1210 and had way more fun.

What you will eventually realize is that the ONLY benefit of a bigger area foil is that they get flying at a lower speed.  While that can be nice for a novice catching waves, the problem is that as soon as you bring them up to a wave surfing speed - the smaller foils have plenty of lift and dramatically less drag.  The smaller foils are so much more efficient at speed that you can actually ride swell with much less energy than is even possible on the bigger foils.  So, what I've found is that the bigger foils literally have NO UPSIDE once you have a certain threshold of skill.

I'm keeping mine around because I'm relearning to foil wrong foot forward and learning to wing.  I don't know enough about winging to know if big foils have a place there.

Jeroensurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Due Covid lots of stuff was unavailable and ended up with buying an Moses/SAB quiver with the 1100+950 wing. Used it 8 sessions in 12 days and i,n super happy with it.

FedorBOS

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Thanks Jondrums. That is really helpful. I guess what I'm asking is knowing what your now know, would you have skipped the GLs and gone right to the NLs (if they were available)?

Obviously M200 to HA wing is a big change, but is there any reason not to go max performance HA out of the gate?  Thanks

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Yes. I know a guy who bought an nl. Hated it, thought his gl’s were better. Sold the nl. Got better. Bought the nl back from his friend and loves it now.

juandesooka

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
"Yes. I know a guy who bought an nl. Hated it, thought his gl’s were better. Sold the nl. Got better. Bought the nl back from his friend and loves it now."

I bought Jon's GLs, hated them. Bought the NLs. Got used to the HA ride. Now I like the GLs too.  Haha, more wings!

Actually not really, I never hated the GLs, they glided super nice right off the bat. I just found the turning a bit more challenging. The NLs are better all-rounders. I am still using the GLs wings sometimes, in particular the GL240 big boy in light wind....man o man that thing jumps up in almost nothing.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
If you're willing to mess around with tails - both size, fuse length, and shimming - you can get the NL220 to ride as stable as the M200.    It does take just a tiny little more juice to get out of the water - but it has way better glide, so once you're up you're up.

So sure - go straight to the NL and push through the first half dozen sessions and I think you'll be happy.

my suggestion would be the 18N or 18W tail on a long pedestal with a credit card shim under the back screw to give a bit more lift.  Set up that way it will feel more or less familiar coming from the M200, but you'll notice the reduced drag as soon as the board comes out of the water.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal