Author Topic: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula  (Read 74889 times)

wingdingjoe

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
« Reply #165 on: May 30, 2022, 09:50:00 AM »
Nobody has any idea what the suggested retail of the boom or carbon Handles will be once they are finally on the market?

I've got about 30-40 full sessions on the Aseries 6mt now... Coming from the first edition 6m Swing and then many months on the Flysurf Mojo 6.2...have to say I love the valves, the reduced strut AND LE diameter, the snappy rigidity of this wing.

Back in the 90s was an avid windsurfer so was really keen to use a more rigid setup. On my 8th long downwind I had it pumped up super tight and was happily riding overpowered but not suffering at all. Then I spotted a ferry going at about the perfect angle to be able to surf its wake and got a bit carried away... Attempted a tack on its wave and ended up falling directly on the canopy with my 90 kilos.. Ripped it right down the middle about 1 meter long tear.
Was about 14 km from our planned destination and thought for SURE I was going to have to beg a party catamaran for a rescue.. But was suprised tu be able to gently pump the wing (and vigorously pump the board) up onto plane and actually carefully ride all the way to the end of the run... RIPSTOP can be pretty amazing stuff sometimes! I have no idea if that would have been possible with a less rigid canopy!

Of course, I had fallen a few times similarly on my older dacron wings and NEVER ripped them so the rigidity is kinda a double edge sword in that context.

Luckily our Kite Doctor did a bang up job sewing her up and I've been going hard ever since (although I DO pump it up a bit less most days than I used too.. Now that I realize that it doesn't HAVE to be rock Hard to have great performance .

I've kinda grown to love the CREAKINESS of the wing when really powered.. No flappy flappy.. More like the sounds of the latest America's Cup AC75s when they power up!

I like the idea of the carbon handles and LEAVING them on when I pack it up.. BUT... the ability to drop into a big swell face and be able to ride semi powered with just one hand in the middle of the BOOM has me thinking of going that route instead.. Even though it means more assembly each day and dragging another piece along on every adventure.

Would be incredible if we could pick this accessory up for less than 150 bucks! (dreaming)

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 30, 2022, 12:14:13 PM »
The angle shown indicates same size. Leading edge of one is forward of the other.

Like I said, we’re all kooks trying to do this.

Last post on this and I'll move on. The leading edges were lined up, and the Air frame was the same outline. However, the Duotone Unit had a slight longer cord, probably about 1/2 meter total-not the meter i oroginally suggested. It's hard to see with the pics posted. I have a series of shots that illustrate this but lll save you all the time.
Dwayne-tonnes of respect, I'm not looking f a beef.

I personally look fwd to having the handles/boom. I'm not a huge fan of the handles as they are right now. Talking to Richard M, he said he uses one on the front and a strap on the rear handle for the best drifting. Having tried them in their conception phase I know they are a major upgrade.

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #167 on: May 30, 2022, 01:29:01 PM »
Who wants to go halvesies on a handle set? I’d probably be happy with just a front rigid  ;D
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

wingdingjoe

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #168 on: May 30, 2022, 03:23:11 PM »
If I knew what they were gonna cost.. I might be interested ;D

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 31, 2022, 08:09:36 AM »
I like the idea of the carbon handles and LEAVING them on when I pack it up.. BUT... the ability to drop into a big swell face and be able to ride semi powered with just one hand in the middle of the BOOM has me thinking of going that route instead.. Even though it means more assembly each day and dragging another piece along on every adventure.

Would be incredible if we could pick this accessory up for less than 150 bucks! (dreaming)

Make one. Super easy. You just need to find an old paddle shaft to cut the piece from. I removed a slightly less than half-section (left a little inward curve to tighten the fit and strengthen the edges) for about two inches on each end. Added a strip of stick-on velcro a little longer than the half-sectioned area and then used a double-sided velcro strap to hold it in place. The stick-on velcro holds the straps in place while you wind them. It's taking me longer to type the description than it did to make the part, and I'm a fast typist. The half sections slip onto the ends of the handles and the velcro gets wrapped tightly to hold it in place. Mine feels as rigid as a one-piece boom. Cost was $0 since I had all the stuff, but if you have a shaft the rest is maybe a few bucks.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

peterwSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #170 on: June 20, 2022, 03:53:05 AM »
Has anyone heard of any issues with the fix where the middle handle gets removed and the handles are mounted further apart?  The pull from the handles would be more sideways, and also if you think back to physics class and statics, suspending a weight from two ropes and different angles, the pull is also going to be quite a bit greater if the handle is pulled tight at a shallow angle.

But hopefully someone has been riding a wing like this every day testing it for long enough by now that if this is a problem maybe someone has found this problem already (?)

Also PonoBill - I'm having trouble visualizing your description. 

Thx,
Peter

StellaBlu

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #171 on: June 20, 2022, 05:16:48 AM »
No issues whatsoever. The difference in mounting point is very minor and shouldn’t have a big impact on stress. At this point I think most people are using that handle setup and I have heard zero report of issues under heavy usage.

juandesooka

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #172 on: June 20, 2022, 10:31:43 AM »
x2, been using it with wider strap set up for past year, no issues.
Also had a chance to try the carbon handles last week again, first thought was I don't like them due to potential grip fatigue.  But wow, the extra control is really nice, with positive connection.  I am working on tacks and I can see how that would help a lot, in controlling the wing through the upwind turn.  I only used a first gen boom wing once, had the same feeling, I liked the control aspects (though other cons to balance the pros).

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #173 on: June 20, 2022, 02:50:29 PM »
I also used the wide setup from the beginning for few months with no issues. Once I added the PVC pipes
to stiffen the handles I went back to the 3 handle setup as I could achieve the same power delivery as the
wide setup but have the bonus of using the middle handle. Flying one handed is a boon.

If OR gets it right with the carbon handles, The Glide A wing puts the Unit V2 D/Lab in the dust in every way that
matters (to me).
in progress...

peterwSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #174 on: June 21, 2022, 03:33:15 AM »
How did you stiffen the handles with PVC?  I did a quick google search and came up empty handed....

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #175 on: June 21, 2022, 06:30:27 AM »
How did you stiffen the handles with PVC?  I did a quick google search and came up empty handed....

See this thread: https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,37942.0.html
in progress...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 21, 2022, 08:54:28 AM »

Also PonoBill - I'm having trouble visualizing your description. 

Thx,
Peter

Pictures might help some: https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,38069.msg436496/topicseen.html#new
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

StellaBlu

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #177 on: June 22, 2022, 02:54:35 PM »
Kind of crazy how much OR has jacked up the prices on these.  Retail for a 2021/22 5m A-Series was $1800 - the most costly wing on the market at the time.  The 2022/23 5m is now $2250 on the OR website ($2100 on MacKite)!!!

Anybody aware of the 2022/23 updates?  That price increase is kind of wild for a wing that was already very costly.

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 22, 2022, 08:53:32 PM »
Kind of crazy how much OR has jacked up the prices on these.  Retail for a 2021/22 5m A-Series was $1800 - the most costly wing on the market at the time.  The 2022/23 5m is now $2250 on the OR website ($2100 on MacKite)!!!

Anybody aware of the 2022/23 updates?  That price increase is kind of wild for a wing that was already very costly.

Sadly, from what I've heard they are all going to go up. The price of Oil being one of the contributing factors.

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 22, 2022, 09:04:10 PM »
Nobody has any idea what the suggested retail of the boom or carbon Handles will be once they are finally on the market?

I think they might be around $250.
I've tried a Proto set of Carbon Handles and going back to the foam floppers was a real step back.

I've got about 30-40 full sessions on the Aseries 6mt now... Coming from the first edition 6m Swing and then many months on the Flysurf Mojo 6.2...have to say I love the valves, the reduced strut AND LE diameter, the snappy rigidity of this wing.

Back in the 90s was an avid windsurfer so was really keen to use a more rigid setup. On my 8th long downwind I had it pumped up super tight and was happily riding overpowered but not suffering at all. Then I spotted a ferry going at about the perfect angle to be able to surf its wake and got a bit carried away... Attempted a tack on its wave and ended up falling directly on the canopy with my 90 kilos.. Ripped it right down the middle about 1 meter long tear.
Was about 14 km from our planned destination and thought for SURE I was going to have to beg a party catamaran for a rescue.. But was suprised tu be able to gently pump the wing (and vigorously pump the board) up onto plane and actually carefully ride all the way to the end of the run... RIPSTOP can be pretty amazing stuff sometimes! I have no idea if that would have been possible with a less rigid canopy!

Of course, I had fallen a few times similarly on my older dacron wings and NEVER ripped them so the rigidity is kinda a double edge sword in that context.

Luckily our Kite Doctor did a bang up job sewing her up and I've been going hard ever since (although I DO pump it up a bit less most days than I used too.. Now that I realize that it doesn't HAVE to be rock Hard to have great performance .

I've kinda grown to love the CREAKINESS of the wing when really powered.. No flappy flappy.. More like the sounds of the latest America's Cup AC75s when they power up!

I think they might be around $250.
I've tried a Proto set of Carbon Handles and going back to the foam floppers was a real step back.
I hear we should see them soon, but delays seem to be the standard these days with everything.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 09:10:14 PM by Vancouver_foiler »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal