Author Topic: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula  (Read 74885 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
« Reply #135 on: January 28, 2022, 08:52:00 AM »
I love the 6M CWC, but holy crap does it ever bag out quickly. Mine still works fine, the torque and thrust to enable me to get on foil at low wind speeds are probably even better. But going upwind, the harness is nearly a requirement and it's a bit of work to keep things pointed where I plan to go. But unlike the old 6M Swing, the Strike CWC still works. I suspect the extra struts are helping keep some semblance of shape. The canopy looks to be bagged worse than my 6M swing ever was (probably because I use it at every opportunity, even at the outside edge of its maximum range), but once my Swing was bagged it was fairly useless.

Unless the canopy or at least a panel of the trailing edge is Allula I don't see the OR 7M as fixing the longevity issue. It will be interesting to see what they do.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #136 on: February 04, 2022, 10:15:44 AM »
I made the handles in the style of ORs carbon handle. With the Aluula strut inflated to 12 psi the handle is rigid like it’s bolted in place.

That's my point, I don't see the utility in a carbon handle vs. a good fabric one, and theirs seems very good, so good that I kept the ones Mark was going to toss. I don't know what I'll use them for, but they're nicely made. Before I made a fake boom I made carbon handles. I didn't like them. The boom adds a lot more to the equation than just rigidity.

A source tell me Ocean Rodeo will be releasing a carbon handle bar along with or shortly after the carbon handles supposedly around April.
in progress...

Wingfoil2001

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 04, 2022, 11:24:13 AM »
A mate has the 5 mtr Glide Hybrid, it’s his only wing so about 5 months of fairly hard use. The dacron looks just fine on the canopy and leading edge. But the Aluula, it has bulges in places, white lines appearing, almost as if the gold coating is splitting.
Looks like too much pressure in the strut but his pump won’t do 12 psi.
He’s not happy and will be asking for warranty. Longevity of Aluula may be an issue.
OR replaced his wing, result

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #139 on: February 05, 2022, 02:44:26 AM »
That looks awesome... Love the paneling of the canopy and that seam on the leading edge that starts on the opposite side of the canopy (I guess to add stiffness) which then twists to the inside of the leading edge (for less stiffness at the tips?)
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

Velasco

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #140 on: February 05, 2022, 06:03:10 PM »
I'm guessing that wing is going to be well above $2000 USD.

Oh well - my kids better figure out that scholarship thing...

And I better start liking peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 06, 2022, 11:17:16 AM »
And there we go. That looks outrageously good. Given the resistance of that thin X mylar to stretching, that's a wing that should last for years. I'm still not comfortable with my 5.2M Reedin, though I'm getting closer. Cheating my fake boom beyond the front handle and holding it ahead of the handle and in the middle of the boom fixes the arm pressure balance issue, and I can one-hand it in the harness, with the harness forward of the usual position.

Looking at my poor, totally bagged out 6M f-one CWC (I'm still using it, but upwind riding is a struggle) I think strong and light is probably worth the money. I abused my 6M, using it in wind that was probably OK for a 4.2, but the 6M makes it easy for me to lever myself up to standing when my knee is misbehaving.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 06, 2022, 05:35:37 PM »
Bill, I agree. After seeing a buddy scream upwind in a single reach yesterday on a Reedin and just checking the build and material I cant see buying $1,000 wings that bag out.

I might try a CWC while they dial all this in but a durable canopy seems like a no brainer. Are we at the "GoFoil Iwa" stage of wing wings? What's next?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #143 on: February 15, 2022, 01:53:27 PM »
OR needs to release the carbon handles because the Duotone handles are amazing. Rode the 3.5m Unit today.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CaAwh6rPxa4/?utm_medium=share_sheet

volcano dweller

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #144 on: February 15, 2022, 06:20:40 PM »
So any initial thoughts on how it compares the OR A-wing besides the handles? Thank you.

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #145 on: February 26, 2022, 12:40:41 PM »
Just had my initial session on the 5M (thanks DW)!  Here are a few rambling thoughts for those interested.

Wind was side-onshore 10-16 with 20mph gusts with chest high disorganized Chesapeake bay bumps riding a Armie 925/50F/195+1 combo (no harness). Comparing to my 5M BRM, the OR is a cool lb. lighter.  I inflated the LE to 7 because the wind seemed a bit strong on the beach (probably would have rigged my 4M brm). 

Few thoughts. Increased dihedral shape compared to the BRM meant less tip catches, however the wing seems to really want to lock into its position (very stable). This was an issue for me at first during transitions, and will take some technique refinement, especially on tacks. The BRMs are easier to move around from the LE handle and overhead so they almost feel lighter. The OR has a locked in feel, almost like two invisible hands are keeping it in place for you. That’s where my technique will need to adapt to overcome that locked in feel when transitioning.  I never had to think about this with the BRMs, so this is something new for me.  I only nailed a couple tacks and a couple I got pulled backwards due to the wing not crossing over. Technique Issue and also challenging sea state conditions with first time fuse/tail wing combo.

Very pleased that I could easily go from underhand to overhand grip with my 3M mittens while cruising crossed up (without concern for a rapid lifting moment) As a ambi-stance challenged winger, the OR felt amazing riding toeside. Initially I was getting to much rear arm fatigue, but I quickly realized sliding my front hand back on the handle balanced things out nicely.

Riding downwind on swell lines was amazing. Definitely shines here. I could even leverage the wing with my forearm while holding the LE handle during speed peaks where AW was slightly negative to hold the wing up before swinging a cutback back into the wind.  No doubt the 5M BRM would have been harder to manage on the swells.

Pumping on to foil was tricky, but I was getting it dialed by the end of the 12 mile session. Could get up toeside and heelside quite easily.

The wing likes apparent wind and therefore forward speed. Transitioning gybes with a 50 fuse meant tight radius turns and a rapid change in direction so the wing seemed to almost lose all drive for a second until I manually put it in position and gave it a couple rapid short strokes.  In other words, there was less ‘lift’ out of the gybes than I was used too. Could have been holes in the wind, so take that with a grain of salt.

After the first session, I’m on the fence about selling the BRM. I’ll hold off that decision until I have a light wind showdown back to back. This wing will for sure be my SE thermal oceanfront DW wing where wind is up/down for the 80 street run in VB.   

I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

winddoctor

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #146 on: March 05, 2022, 07:56:17 AM »
Regarding the reluctance of the OR wing to change tack, I found steering the wing more actively by either placing a hand briefly on the leading edge and giving it a little push over to the new tack (toeside-heelside) worked well or by actively pushing the backhand away while steering up wind in a heel side tack really helps. The "floppy/narrow" setting on the soft handles accentuates the vague input and reactivity too much IMHO. Set up wider and with more tension the handling gets better. I haven't tried the carbon handles on the OR but to me it seems like they'd be ideal and would make such a big difference in handling.
6'5" 200 pounds. Armstrong HA1125, HA925, HA725, HS1850, HS1250 Foils. Armstrong 5'11" FG, Quatro WingDrifter 72L, KT 3m, 4m, 5m Armstrong V2 A-Wing 2.5

juandesooka

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #147 on: March 05, 2022, 01:09:24 PM »
Regarding the reluctance of the OR wing to change tack, I found steering the wing more actively by either placing a hand briefly on the leading edge and giving it a little push over to the new tack (toeside-heelside) worked well or by actively pushing the backhand away while steering up wind in a heel side tack really helps. The "floppy/narrow" setting on the soft handles accentuates the vague input and reactivity too much IMHO. Set up wider and with more tension the handling gets better. I haven't tried the carbon handles on the OR but to me it seems like they'd be ideal and would make such a big difference in handling.

I got motivated to try my first tacks last weekend....got knocked off at the turn, so these are good tips thanks.  I got to demo the carbon handles one session, and the extra wing control is remarkable, I am pretty sure the difference will be huge for tacks.  I am not sure I want the carbon handles, due to hand fatigue, but aspects of them would be pretty great.

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #148 on: March 05, 2022, 05:11:27 PM »
I may only want carbon on the rear handle. Anyone want to go halvasies when they finally hit the market?
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #149 on: March 07, 2022, 11:22:03 AM »
Back to Back sessions the last two days with the 5M.   Winds were out of the south at 15-35 in the major gusts, but the cold water was decoupling the wind quite a bit.  I'm blown away by how well this wing holds up in gusty conditions.  If I had had my 5M BRM out in those conditions, it would have been a flapping mess and probably pulled me right off the board.  The OR was not flapping at all and super stable.  I had to go with it due to the shallow tide, so I could just instantly get on foil without dragging in between the thigh high bumps.  At one point towards the end of my last session the wind really picked up and I was basically moving forward at 5 mph with a 725 front foil and the wing straight overhead.  Pretty wild. 
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal