Author Topic: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula  (Read 74886 times)

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
« Reply #120 on: January 14, 2022, 07:39:09 PM »
Hey Ocean Rodeo, if you’re out there, don’t listen to this guy. He doesn’t get it. The leash is LIGHT by design. Heavy leashes add to wing weight. Your leash is just like the F-one leash, light, light, light.

Your windows are small and light too. They work. He missed this point about weight. The skinniest center strut in the industry allows the window above the strut to be the most effective window at this location in the industry. Everyone else’s fat center struts block the window view. Bonus points for reinforcing the window with Aluula!

Your handles in the wide setting, are the most comfortable in the industry. The combination of plastic and foam stuffing is awesome on the hands. The handles get super tight and rigid in the harness.

The wing control from the nose handle is better than other wings I’ve owned. The handle is SIZED right, comfortable, WIDE and FLAT and offers better hand control, than the industry typical round handle. Bonus points for using super thin, LIGHT neoprene for scuff protection. Lighter neoprene than I’ve seen used by other brands. You got soooo many little details right.

Lazy review in my opinion.

But he did say all of those were small potatoes. Those are accessories which we all have several different opinions on. No biggie there.

The meat and potatoes that I think all of us in general look at, it sounds like he is right in line with everything you have said about these wings. He said it was a solid performer in all aspects with really good construction and great wing and great all around performer.  And loving the super lightness of it.

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 20, 2022, 09:25:08 PM »
Was out w the OR owner today and had a chance to try the carbon handles. Major upgrade. It takes the wing and puts it firmly at the top of the heap. Tried some other stuff too but should prob check what I can share about.
Either way, the future is bright indeed.

wingdingjoe

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: January 21, 2022, 10:41:18 AM »
Juicy gossip INDEED! Thanx for sharing! Any idea on possible dates for release of those handles to us mortals?

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 23, 2022, 11:52:20 AM »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #124 on: January 24, 2022, 07:25:37 AM »
I built a carbon handle for my OR.

It reinforced our (includes wife) opinion the current soft handles are the best handles in the industry. Trying the carbon handle brought back memories of our boomer days. Where it is uncomfortable on the wrist, and awkward, letting your fingers twirl about a handle during transitions. The soft handle wins in this regard. Then as for pumping, these OR soft handles are actually rigid near the ends, where we place our hands for pumping. We like the current handles best, installed wide and tight. 

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: January 24, 2022, 07:57:26 AM »
Wrist angle is something to keep an eye on,for comfort and health.
I was used to an up-palm front hand grip from windsurfing ,and i used it for winging until i started getting chronic pain in my wrists after sessions.
The angles are different and it was causing me some sort of tendinitis.Now i grab palms down,as light grip as possible and trying to keep wrists straight all the time.
I had carbon tube all ready to DIY a boom but maybe not a good idea for me.Still getting some trigger finger on long cold days though.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #126 on: January 24, 2022, 08:37:51 AM »
Here is a video I did a month ago. I decided not to built the carbon handle at that time. Turns out I was right back then. I should have listened to myself. Oh well, at least the doubt is gone for us.

https://youtu.be/HemokHEPjkw

juandesooka

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #127 on: January 24, 2022, 09:27:04 AM »
I have mixed feelings, I see both pros/cons.  My wing riding has been 99% soft handles, I tried buddy's duotone once and was pretty impressed how the boom made a positive connection, felt good for micro adjustments, gybes really easy.  It didn't convince me to switch, but I can see the appeal.

I was lucky to get in on the same demo session as Van_foiler. My first impression with the carbon handles was they were harder to hold -- I have been having issues lately with grip fatigue with cold hands, so even the OR soft handles can be a problem (vs the bagged out ozone straps I was used to).  But then in use, the carbon handles gave me the same positive connection feel as I had previously with a boom.  With the super stiff aluula strut, the entire assembly felt very solid.  Honestly, it was kind of WOW, in how tightly it came together.  Most noticeable for me was hand switches and in flying off the front handle where you luff but not quite switch to the front handle for full luffed swell riding.  You can fly the wing quite easily with one hand, 90% depowered.

When they are available, I will likely pursue them.  Though I also still plan on trying out my webbing backup strap idea, to ease hand fatigue on the cold days.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #128 on: January 24, 2022, 11:12:56 AM »
I can see an application for the carbon handles in really light days. I've identified two instances in which the responsiveness of the rigid handle have advantage over the original handle.

- Standing on the board while waiting for a gust - Rigid handle was less tiring on shoulders trying to handle the wing
- Pumping - The extra stiffness reduces the number of misfires trying to get up on the foil, again, conserving energy

Once flying, I'll take the softer handles every time, however, in light wind the extra load on the wrist with the stiff handles was not a big concern.

Testing my Fone 6M Strike against a Cabrinha X2 5M with a foil that requires a little more speed to get up (SlingShot PTM 926) on really light wind day, the Cabrinha won every time.
Doing the same with a foil that pumps up really well (Axis 1010) meant less wing pumps.

If I am to project it to my Ocean Rodeo with carbon handles it means best of both worlds. The OR as is already about the same as the Cabrinha in that regard but being much lighter
and flying so much better means many more successful light wing session and I could probably get away with a 5M OR instead of my 6M Strike. The difference in weight alone will make
Light wind session much more enjoyable.
in progress...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 25, 2022, 11:32:46 AM »
I have never seen the advantage of handles--soft or hard--other than packing the wing. Booms are a pain in the ass for the tiny fraction of wingers that are transporting on a bicycle or some other limited means of transport, but most folks carry their stuff in a vehicle--so what does a handle solve?

DW, if you made a boom rather than a handle, especially one that made the connection between the boom and the strut rigid, you'd probably find a lot more comfort and utility. Your design doesn't make sense to me, you duplicated the limitations of soft handles in a hard handle, and the connection via a short flip that does little to brace the handle is a beautiful fabrication, but poor utility. If the handle was boom length, reaching from the first connector to the last, and the connections reversed back towards the center they would be held in place axially by the tensioned straps. Put the handle on while the wing is deflated and when it's inflated the connection is axially tight. If the connectors carried parallel to the strut for some distance, especially if they were long enough to reach past the inboard handle connector loops both front and back, you could make them fit the curve of the strut and offer radial rigidity. This part could be made substantially less than a pound--Mark's design is similar though it doesn't quite reach the inboard loops, which is a flaw I'm my opinion, but it's nearly as light as the original handles. I weighed the original handles from Mark Raaphorst's wing and they are about ten ounces. Adding perhaps six ounces for the ability to grab the boom anywhere along its length and one hand it would be worthwhile for me, never mind added control and ergonomic benefits

My drawing looks more like a towel rack than a boom, but you probably get the idea anyway.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #130 on: January 25, 2022, 01:57:59 PM »
I made the handles in the style of ORs carbon handle. With the Aluula strut inflated to 12 psi the handle is rigid like it’s bolted in place.

randomfoiler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #131 on: January 27, 2022, 07:23:00 AM »
Was out w the OR owner today and had a chance to try the carbon handles. Major upgrade. It takes the wing and puts it firmly at the top of the heap. Tried some other stuff too but should prob check what I can share about.
Either way, the future is bright indeed.

Does the bright future include a 7m coming out any time soon. They have removed it from their site.
Does anybody know something? Don't understand why there isn't more information available... 

SUPladomi

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #132 on: January 27, 2022, 05:28:47 PM »
A very reliable source told me there will be a 7M. Supply chain is the issue. There was a lot of inquiry so they removed the info from the site since they don't have the product yet.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 27, 2022, 09:31:48 PM »
I made the handles in the style of ORs carbon handle. With the Aluula strut inflated to 12 psi the handle is rigid like it’s bolted in place.

That's my point, I don't see the utility in a carbon handle vs. a good fabric one, and theirs seems very good, so good that I kept the ones Mark was going to toss. I don't know what I'll use them for, but they're nicely made. Before I made a fake boom I made carbon handles. I didn't like them. The boom adds a lot more to the equation than just rigidity.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

randomfoiler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #134 on: January 28, 2022, 05:02:29 AM »
A very reliable source told me there will be a 7M. Supply chain is the issue. There was a lot of inquiry so they removed the info from the site since they don't have the product yet.

That is great. I won't need it before April but was starting to look closer at the 7m CWC ...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal