Author Topic: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula  (Read 74917 times)

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
« Reply #105 on: January 11, 2022, 01:26:37 AM »
The material makes a Big difference. It's shocking how light it feels.

Interestingly, The 5M strike weighs .17Kg less than the 5M OR glide, at least according to weights I could find around the interwebs :o

And what is actually 'wearing out' on a wing over time? The generally consensus has always been the canopy material, not the dacron. :-\

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #106 on: January 11, 2022, 03:42:57 AM »
Look at the very best one year old Dacron wings.

The canopy is still tight and wrinkle free in the forward 1/3 and a blown out distorted mess in the back 2/3. The reason is the Dacron leading edge bends, allowing rearward portion on the canopy to flap and self destruct when flown in it’s upper range.

If the leading edge does not bend, it will keep the entire canopy tight longer. It should not self destruct as quickly.

There is an old saying in kiting. Don’t leave your kite on the beach all day flapping it self to death.

Aluula is not for everyone, Haters gonna hate. I see it on the beach. People don’t want to try Aluula. They’d secretly prefer it to fail.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 04:07:56 AM by Dwight (DW) »

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #107 on: January 11, 2022, 04:07:54 AM »
The material makes a Big difference. It's shocking how light it feels.

Interestingly, The 5M strike weighs .17Kg less than the 5M OR glide, at least according to weights I could find around the interwebs :o

And what is actually 'wearing out' on a wing over time? The generally consensus has always been the canopy material, not the dacron. :-\

For reference, my 3.5M Swing weigh a cool pound less than my 4M OR (2.5 vs 3.5) but the difference between the 2 wings is night & day.

Pumping with the Swing feels like pulling on rubber band in comparison to the OR. it flaps around so much it feels heavier than the super stable OR.

The 3.5 Swing doesn’t see action unless it’s 30+ wind. The OR 4M comes out around 15.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 04:15:48 AM by burchas »
in progress...

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 11, 2022, 07:06:03 AM »
People don’t want to try Aluula. They’d secretly prefer it to fail.

It's already succeeded, just needs to become more mainstream and come in at a less over inflated price point. For the current cost difference it should show an obvious performance advantage and the aforementioned video is not showing that (Fact, not opinion). It should have won all those races, carried itself up to the beach, then go get everyone cappuccinos (with extra froth ;D )

Burchas, how did you get 30% off?

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #109 on: January 11, 2022, 10:07:54 AM »
Sorry, but that video is not a good measurement of alluula's/OR performance.  Poor racing and washed out wind by OR Rider for the rest of the race (Fact). He was in the lead until the wide/late turn.  Plus Tito is insanely talented and could take the Slingshot V1 wing and beat almost anyone on the highest dollar wing. 
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #110 on: January 11, 2022, 11:24:59 AM »
People don’t want to try Aluula. They’d secretly prefer it to fail.
It should have won all those races, carried itself up to the beach, then go get everyone cappuccinos (with extra froth ;D ) Burchas, how did you get 30% off?

I had to forgo the cappuccino w/ extra froth option ;D
in progress...

Wingfoil2001

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 11, 2022, 11:37:48 AM »
A mate has the 5 mtr Glide Hybrid, it’s his only wing so about 5 months of fairly hard use. The dacron looks just fine on the canopy and leading edge. But the Aluula, it has bulges in places, white lines appearing, almost as if the gold coating is splitting.
Looks like too much pressure in the strut but his pump won’t do 12 psi.
He’s not happy and will be asking for warranty. Longevity of Aluula may be an issue.

JohnnyTsunami

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 11, 2022, 01:53:52 PM »
This material has been out in kites for a few years. Perhaps anyone knows a kiter who has used an Aluula one for a while?

I used to roll my dingy racing sail on a 4" diameter thin PCV tube which left absolutely zero creases, I wouldn't be opposed to doing this to a wing if it is as good as advertised, since they just live in my pickup shell full time anyway.

Just ordered two Aluula duotone wings so I'm invested.

juandesooka

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #113 on: January 11, 2022, 04:56:43 PM »
This material has been out in kites for a few years. Perhaps anyone knows a kiter who has used an Aluula one for a while?

I used to roll my dingy racing sail on a 4" diameter thin PCV tube which left absolutely zero creases, I wouldn't be opposed to doing this to a wing if it is as good as advertised, since they just live in my pickup shell full time anyway.

Just ordered two Aluula duotone wings so I'm invested.

A lot of the local riders (south Vancouver Island) use the aluula kites, I've never heard any issues, they all seem to love them.
I will be very interested to hear your feedback on the duotones when they arrive.  I am pretty confident aluula will be the future for all wings, lighter and stronger, what's not to like.  Similar to kiting, the new canopy materials were brand specific for a year or two, then industry wide quickly after.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #114 on: January 11, 2022, 05:47:29 PM »
Ocean Rodeo ships folded. It took two sessions to figure out rolling it was probably bad. I now fold mine like it came from the factory. Less stress on the stiff material. Don’t treat it like crap and just wad it up.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #115 on: January 14, 2022, 05:41:06 AM »
Hey Ocean Rodeo, if you’re out there, don’t listen to this guy. He doesn’t get it. The leash is LIGHT by design. Heavy leashes add to wing weight. Your leash is just like the F-one leash, light, light, light.

Your windows are small and light too. They work. He missed this point about weight. The skinniest center strut in the industry allows the window above the strut to be the most effective window at this location in the industry. Everyone else’s fat center struts block the window view. Bonus points for reinforcing the window with Aluula!

Your handles in the wide setting, are the most comfortable in the industry. The combination of plastic and foam stuffing is awesome on the hands. The handles get super tight and rigid in the harness.

The wing control from the nose handle is better than other wings I’ve owned. The handle is SIZED right, comfortable, WIDE and FLAT and offers better hand control, than the industry typical round handle. Bonus points for using super thin, LIGHT neoprene for scuff protection. Lighter neoprene than I’ve seen used by other brands. You got soooo many little details right.

Lazy review in my opinion.
https://youtu.be/-_fJzYyCrJA
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 06:07:36 AM by Dwight (DW) »

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #116 on: January 14, 2022, 01:47:25 PM »
Hey Ocean Rodeo, if you’re out there, don’t listen to this guy. He doesn’t get it. The leash is LIGHT by design. Heavy leashes add to wing weight. Your leash is just like the F-one leash, light, light, light...

I'd agree it's light. Much lighter than my Fone leashes in fact, however, the OR leash does feel cheap and not in the same class as the Fone. I did replace my OR leash with an Fone leash
because of that. I will forward my opinion to my contact at OR and hope they come out with a better leash.
in progress...

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #117 on: January 14, 2022, 03:40:46 PM »
1/8” amsteel leash has breaking strength of 2400 lbs. So heavier rope might make people feel good, but adds nothing but weight.

juandesooka

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #118 on: January 14, 2022, 04:35:17 PM »
I am not a fan of the leash cuff, as I don't use wrist connection and it makes it harder to tie off to things.  Buddy replaced it with a swivel and locking carabiner...that's what I am going to do too.

I am also struggling with holding the handles when it gets really cold, get grip fatigue due to gloves.  I had no problems with my bagged out ozone handles, pretty much just stretched out nylon webbing. You don't grip, more just hang off them. So I am thinking I'll try installing some nylon webbing below the OR handles, use those as a backup if hands get too tired to hold on.  Or hopefully not any more cold snaps this winter!  :P

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 14, 2022, 06:43:07 PM »
Putting an eye splice into both ends of 1/8" dyneema 12 strand cord is the best option if you use a waist harness.  Not that hard to do and not very expensive.  The sailing world has lots of options for lightweight swivel shackles and if you want one a snap-shackle has a quick release as a bonus.  I personally think this is the way

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal