Author Topic: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula  (Read 74964 times)

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
« Reply #90 on: January 08, 2022, 11:16:56 PM »
What is Draft Stabilty?

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: January 09, 2022, 12:01:31 AM »
I borrowed a 5M from MR.  Problem was I couldn't pump it up with my Duotone pump.  So I harvested a fitting off a Board Rider (BR) and it worked on the ORodeo.  Here's the two fittings side by side attached to the Duo pump.  In 1st pic the OR is on the right and doesn't insert itself deep enough into the Duo pump interface.  The reason is a fraction sized 'step' on the inside of the pump interface. (2nd pic)  The third pic shows the shaft length on the threads.  Pitch on threads seems the same and it screwed in well but shaft length on OR fitting (on right) is longer than the BR fitting.  The wing inflated with no noticeable leaks (or hisses) but for intense use I wonder if that thread shaft length matters??  I pumped the strut up to about 8 PSI.  It says 12 PSI but I wanted to make sure about the fittings before I did.  The LE I also inflated to about 8 (the duotone pump only has numbers to 7)  Flew it in my yard and light was my first impression.  We're in a light to no wind pattern right now but just trying to get it ready when wind returns.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 12:15:39 AM by headmount »

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: January 09, 2022, 04:04:35 AM »

Nonsense ;D, this is also clear in the video, the Strike looks perfectly well locked in.

Strike has horrendous daft stability. Better than last year, but still crap in a harness. Not close to being best in class for draft movement. Even worse with the CWC. I had to place the rear harness line connection in the middle of the rear handle, not at the provided pigtail. Harness lines expose crap stability instantly. The harness doesn’t line. Your noodle arms do lie.

If that's what you need to believe to justify that investment, carry on. The incessant froth over the next new thing deserves a reality check once in a while. Watch the video again...

I would not dismiss Aluula because of that vid, it is more of a tactical lesson than speed test.
Even if the Aluula wings were not faster at all  just the weight saving would be a huge plus for me.

And if DWF says it has more draft stability i would believe it,he has tried a ton of gear.

My Takoons show no better upwind angles on GPS than my Starboard/Airush, but i can easily sail them one-handed ,this i find impossible on the Airush because the draft is all over the place.A draft stable wing is less tiring and lets me focus more on finessing the foil.

Wether weight & draft stability are worth the price increase is personal choice, but i believe Aluula will be the standard for top of the line wings in the future.

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 09, 2022, 09:38:05 AM »

I would not dismiss Aluula because of that vid, it is more of a tactical lesson than speed test.
Even if the Aluula wings were not faster at all  just the weight saving would be a huge plus for me.
Absolutely agree with this, mainly for a huge wing like a 6M.

And if DWF says it has more draft stability i would believe it,he has tried a ton of gear.
All opinions are biased (including mine). I can't offer an opinion, just video showing that a dacron wing can compete with and even beat the newest technology. The draft stability of these old fashioned wings is not an issue for these guys (or for me).

My Takoons show no better upwind angles on GPS than my Starboard/Airush, but i can easily sail them one-handed ,this i find impossible on the Airush because the draft is all over the place.A draft stable wing is less tiring and lets me focus more on finessing the foil.
Sure, design is at least as important as materials.

Wether weight & draft stability are worth the price increase is personal choice, but i believe Aluula will be the standard for top of the line wings in the future.
It looks like great stuff, I'm not going to be a beta tester though.

Froth on ;D

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #94 on: January 09, 2022, 12:17:46 PM »
I actually owned a Strike.

spindrift

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: January 09, 2022, 03:10:10 PM »
What is the best pump for accurate and higher PSI?
Life Rewards Movement

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: January 09, 2022, 04:18:46 PM »
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 04:21:31 PM by Fishman »
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: January 09, 2022, 04:54:02 PM »
I own both the Fone Strike and the OR Glide A. I really love the Strike, such a great design that works everywhere.
I tried a bunch of other leading brands wings and could not find anything that felt nearly as good as the Fone

That said, the Ocean Rodeo is special. Very stable and balanced wing. The material makes a Big difference. It's shocking how light it feels.
The stiffens of the wing opened up a whole new set of conditions I could ride with a 4M.

The Fone though, after 6 months of heavy usage, does not hold form as well as it used to. Even when pumping 2-3 psi over recommended.

If the Ocean Rodeo Allula will hold form twice as much as the Fone it will be well worth the price (especially since I paid 30% off list price).
in progress...

JohnnyTsunami

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 09, 2022, 05:56:40 PM »
You unscrew most gauges and replace it with a good digital one with a little hardware froms Lows.
0-15 PSI is spot on.
https://www.amazon.com/Pressure-Connector-Protector-Uharbour-Resolution/dp/B07CXM3ZGT/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?crid=26QDWU266U3MS&keywords=digital+15+psi+pressure&qid=1641773796&sprefix=digital+15psi+pressure+%2Caps%2C164&sr=8-4

1/8” NPT 1.5” face center bottom mount will replace a duotone gauge with no modification. Use a little Teflon tape and keep the rubber gasket. Mcmaster has them certified. Only issue is the you can’t cut the plug or it will drop glycerin so you burp it with a screw driver otherwise keep it facing up in storage. Pretty nice knowing your psi witching a couple % . I have one one each pump and a spare in my kit.

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: January 09, 2022, 08:35:25 PM »
You unscrew most gauges and replace it with a good digital one with a little hardware froms Lows.
0-15 PSI is spot on.
https://www.amazon.com/Pressure-Connector-Protector-Uharbour-Resolution/dp/B07CXM3ZGT/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?crid=26QDWU266U3MS&keywords=digital+15+psi+pressure&qid=1641773796&sprefix=digital+15psi+pressure+%2Caps%2C164&sr=8-4

1/8” NPT 1.5” face center bottom mount will replace a duotone gauge with no modification. Use a little Teflon tape and keep the rubber gasket. Mcmaster has them certified. Only issue is the you can’t cut the plug or it will drop glycerin so you burp it with a screw driver otherwise keep it facing up in storage. Pretty nice knowing your psi witching a couple % . I have one one each pump and a spare in my kit.
I found the glycerin filled to be very temperature sensitive, off by as much as 30% as the temp dropped. The digital were far more accurate regardless of temperature. I use them both parallel from 40f to 95f.
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

juandesooka

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #100 on: January 09, 2022, 09:11:19 PM »
I now have a 4/6 a-series, as I decided the low end is where it will have the most impact. I have been really stoked on them so far, no real detriments. I haven't use them too frequently yet, as we're in off season for wind.  A novelty highlight was using the 6m in super light wind with ice skates on a frozen pond. 

Light, powerful wings, nicely balanced. I moved the handles to the tighter position as recommended, I'd say it improved the responsive feel.

Looking for cons for a balanced report: they are powerful wings, so the high end of what would be a normal size range becomes difficult to manage. EG my ozone 4m I could use into the 40s, but in mid 30s I am really struggling to hold the OR down.  Same for 6m into 20s, compared to my ozone.  Which I'd say is a good problem to have.  The mackite review suggested letting a couple psi out if maxed.

i was worried about handles, but i don't find them floppy at all, quite happy with them.  One negative though, in cold weather we have to wear gloves, and I am finding I get hand fatigue quite quickly. Harness is mandatory for me to take the heat off.  I am thinking I may jerry rig a webbing strap like the ozone that hangs below the main handles, use it as a rest for hands when lit. (similar my blown out ozone handles)

Headmount: I had a duotone unit, the OR pump nozzle wouldn't fit, I needed a specific duotone adapter. In reverse, I expect the duotone doesn't fit right on OR, both for diameter and also for depth, because of that internal gizmo to turn the valve inside.  I think the OR pump nozzle is the generic size for pumps, air mattresses, sups, etc, probably easiest to find the standard pump hose.

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 09, 2022, 09:53:54 PM »
We keep just reading amazing reviews on this product...with the only gripes being (by some) the floppy handles and wishing that OR would hurry up wiht the carbon handle upgrades. Anyone have any inside info about when those handles might go into production?

Has ANYONE had any quality control issues yet? unexpected delams or stitching problems or valve problems with the ORs? Im so close to pulling the trigger on a 6meter....but also Morbidly curious as to the release of other brands Alula offerings...anyone have an idea on when hte DLab doutone might be hitting the market? Other brands?

I read with keen interested the posts that DWIGHT has made about the Tip washout geometry of the OR and it will be very interesting to see if the competitors do something similar or just keep their geometry the same but with stiffer material. Im having such a blast rediscovering our entire coastline with WINGING after 20 years of kiting it that i can ALMOST justify just burning through my lifes savings on all the new and great gear...just hard to believe there arent ANY pet peeves or negative comments about the GLIDE wings yet..jeje...

OR has just about the best warantee service around so don't worry about factory delam's or anything like that.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #102 on: January 10, 2022, 04:49:55 AM »

WMFG

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #103 on: January 10, 2022, 05:04:58 AM »
..with the only gripes being (by some) the floppy handles…..

Has ANYONE had any quality control issues yet?

I think the handles are the best I’ve ever used, so those anti reviews baffled me, but I think I figured out why.

A local guy who owns a 6m A wing just bought a 5m hybrid and the stuffing inside the handles was complete different and he hated the handles on the hybrid. I suggested he check the shop to see if other hybrids had the bad handles.

I’m guessing OR has been doing updates during the current model year. Reason for thinking this, is not just this instance, but seeing a photo of Mark Rappahorst’s Aluula wing and noting his had completely different handle mounting locations. His 5m was missing the wide-tight handle setting option.

I had my center strut (internal) bladder pop from not seating at the front completely. This is a typical (random) center strut issue throughout the industry. The OR does have the little string holding the front of the bladder in place. So nothing more OR can do to help there. I’m going to partially inflate, strut and leading edge, before going to high pressure to help ensure all bladders seat properly. With one pump wings, you kind of get this, with both chambers inflating together. The OR has dual inflation points.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 05:06:46 AM by Dwight (DW) »

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 10, 2022, 10:08:21 PM »
..with the only gripes being (by some) the floppy handles…..

Or has changed the handles. They also have modified some things to prevent the unseating of the bladder.

Talking to Ross Harrington he told me to pump the strut first as well.

Has ANYONE had any quality control issues yet?

I think the handles are the best I’ve ever used, so those anti reviews baffled me, but I think I figured out why.

A local guy who owns a 6m A wing just bought a 5m hybrid and the stuffing inside the handles was complete different and he hated the handles on the hybrid. I suggested he check the shop to see if other hybrids had the bad handles.

I’m guessing OR has been doing updates during the current model year. Reason for thinking this, is not just this instance, but seeing a photo of Mark Rappahorst’s Aluula wing and noting his had completely different handle mounting locations. His 5m was missing the wide-tight handle setting option.

I had my center strut (internal) bladder pop from not seating at the front completely. This is a typical (random) center strut issue throughout the industry. The OR does have the little string holding the front of the bladder in place. So nothing more OR can do to help there. I’m going to partially inflate, strut and leading edge, before going to high pressure to help ensure all bladders seat properly. With one pump wings, you kind of get this, with both chambers inflating together. The OR has dual inflation points.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal