Author Topic: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula  (Read 74903 times)

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
« Reply #75 on: December 28, 2021, 12:41:59 PM »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #76 on: December 28, 2021, 01:23:37 PM »

Which inflation pump do you use for the A-glide?  12 lbs is alot of PSI

WMFG. It goes to 14 psi.

https://wmfg.co/products/wmfg-kiteboard-pump-4-0t-1
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 01:25:49 PM by Dwight (DW) »

wingdingjoe

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2022, 09:15:06 AM »
We keep just reading amazing reviews on this product...with the only gripes being (by some) the floppy handles and wishing that OR would hurry up wiht the carbon handle upgrades. Anyone have any inside info about when those handles might go into production?

Has ANYONE had any quality control issues yet? unexpected delams or stitching problems or valve problems with the ORs? Im so close to pulling the trigger on a 6meter....but also Morbidly curious as to the release of other brands Alula offerings...anyone have an idea on when hte DLab doutone might be hitting the market? Other brands?

I read with keen interested the posts that DWIGHT has made about the Tip washout geometry of the OR and it will be very interesting to see if the competitors do something similar or just keep their geometry the same but with stiffer material. Im having such a blast rediscovering our entire coastline with WINGING after 20 years of kiting it that i can ALMOST justify just burning through my lifes savings on all the new and great gear...just hard to believe there arent ANY pet peeves or negative comments about the GLIDE wings yet..jeje...

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2022, 12:40:50 PM »
Im in a similar position, looking at replacing my 5M-6M wing range with an OR or maybe the Duotone D-Lab, which is rumored to be out in March stateside.  The LE on my 5M BRM is gigantic.  A slimmer faster OR looks amazing. 

I'm concerned I wouldn't like the D-Lab hard handles.  One more potential ding machine for my board's rails (especially doing stinkbug starts in hectic conditions.  The LE looks pretty large here as well, so maybe not taking into account Allula's performance characteristics from design standpoint, simply an alternative construction. 

Nuzzo recently posted on Insta about finally figuring out the 'tight' handle position, which 'made it much easier to ride in gusty conditions', so his complaint about touchy gusty performance seems to be nullified.  He did mention he wished there was a firmer LE handle for more control when DW riding, so maybe that could be a minor gripe. 

I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2022, 05:37:33 PM »
bad news guys, the only negative is cost.

Swapped on the water today with a bud riding a Dacron wing. OMG, what a nightmare riding Dacron. Aluula forever.

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2022, 06:37:19 PM »

Swapped on the water today with a bud riding a Dacron wing. OMG, what a nightmare riding Dacron. Aluula forever.

So dramatic  ;D ;D ;D
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2022, 07:13:50 PM »
I was this close to joining Nuzzo on a downwinder to test the OR and X Wing, but both my kids got ill the night i was about to jet pre-dawn. It’s hard to pull the trigger on Aluula without demoing lol.
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2022, 07:14:48 PM »
Watch from 1:58:00 for 30 seconds or so
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN1MiCnLkKY

Mathis Ghio, the top OR racer getting smoked by dacron ;D

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2022, 01:26:20 AM »
Watch from 1:58:00 for 30 seconds or so
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN1MiCnLkKY

Mathis Ghio, the top OR racer getting smoked by dacron ;D

Truly smoked :)
But i do not know if the wing mattered much, once Titouan gets upwind and in front at the buoy Mathis was riding in his dirty air.

I think foil size and design have a much bigger say in speed and upwind performance than wings.

I would like to see  GPS tracks of someone going upwind, same day, same gear but swapping a Dacron vs Aluula wing of same size.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2022, 04:07:48 AM »

I would like to see  GPS tracks of someone going upwind, same day, same gear but swapping a Dacron vs Aluula wing of same size.

Here is the deal. Learned while swapping wings with my buddy on Dacron. It’s draft stability. Sure you can go wind on Dacron and compete with Aluula, but wholly shit what a cluster fuck fighting the shift draft stability all the way upwind. Meanwhile on the Aluula, I’m cruising no hands smoking a cigarette (not really). But you get the point.

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2022, 08:28:21 AM »

Truly smoked :)
But i do not know if the wing mattered much, once Titouan gets upwind and in front at the buoy Mathis was riding in his dirty air.

I think foil size and design have a much bigger say in speed and upwind performance than wings.

Sure, clear tactical error by Mathis going too wide at the buoy and Titouan capitalizing, brilliant move. These guys are both on very similar size 'kite' foils in the 5-600 cm2 range.

It’s draft stability. Sure you can go wind on Dacron and compete with Aluula, but wholly shit what a cluster fuck fighting the shift draft stability all the way upwind.

Nonsense ;D, this is also clear in the video, the Strike looks perfectly well locked in. A properly designed wing doesn't need to be stiff as an I beam for draft stability. Now the weight issue IS a big deal in large sizes. If I had to live in a place where I needed a 6M regularly (just shoot me ;) ), I'd certainly buy a 6M Glide.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2022, 02:27:27 PM »

Nonsense ;D, this is also clear in the video, the Strike looks perfectly well locked in.

Strike has horrendous daft stability. Better than last year, but still crap in a harness. Not close to being best in class for draft movement. Even worse with the CWC. I had to place the rear harness line connection in the middle of the rear handle, not at the provided pigtail. Harness lines expose crap stability instantly. The harness doesn’t line. Your noodle arms do lie.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 02:35:32 PM by Dwight (DW) »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2022, 02:42:34 PM »
I think the improved draft stability is why the Strike goes upwind better than the swing, but yeah, it moves around a bit and it's a lot more noticeable in a harness. I don't have to do anything in the way of adjustment to my harness lines, I just fiddle to trim a bit more in the larger sizes. I don't sheet to power up, I raise the tail of the wing a tiny bit and the lower wingtip moves inward. I haven't tried the larger CWC sizes enough to say much, but the 6M CWC remains my favorite wing, to the degree that I use it when I shouldn't. I don't see a big difference in draft stability between the 5 and the 6M.

My harness lines are on my fake boom and I have them a bit closer together than the wing attachment doohickeys enable. That should make things worse in the draft department, but if it is I don't notice it. I can lean back and one-hand the wing for as long as I choose to.

I'm looking forward to eventually getting alluula wings, but I'm not going to do it until I feel my strikes need replacement. Even then it will probably only be larger sizes.

PS, my spell checker keeps trying to change alluula to arugula so if you see that in a post you'll know it's the f&**&g spell check.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

wingdingjoe

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2022, 07:04:44 PM »
omg Pono!.. You've hit on the perfect solution.. ARUGULA leading edge for when I get the munchies during the second hour of my sesh... It's brilliant man I luv it

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 08, 2022, 08:24:21 PM »

Nonsense ;D, this is also clear in the video, the Strike looks perfectly well locked in.

Strike has horrendous daft stability. Better than last year, but still crap in a harness. Not close to being best in class for draft movement. Even worse with the CWC. I had to place the rear harness line connection in the middle of the rear handle, not at the provided pigtail. Harness lines expose crap stability instantly. The harness doesn’t line. Your noodle arms do lie.

If that's what you need to believe to justify that investment, carry on. The incessant froth over the next new thing deserves a reality check once in a while. Watch the video again...

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal