Author Topic: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula  (Read 74887 times)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2021, 04:00:17 AM »
I know for a fact, new canopy materials are being tested by another brand. These materials are from the same family of materials as the newest leading edge materials, Hookipa, Aluula, etc.

Was told the best wings will have no polyester based material (Dacron/Tejin/X-ply) by late 2022 or 2023.

This is what we can buy today, so I’ll worry about that when we can buy them. Old guys don’t have time to wait.

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2021, 07:43:05 AM »
This is what we can buy today, so I’ll worry about that when we can buy them. Old guys don’t have time to wait.

No need to rationalize a purchase once you hit a certain age -- no point worrying about the future.  I'm living my future in real time!

Good thing this sport is maturing at warp speed (IMO, it took windsurfing 20 years to progress to where winging is after 3 years).

DW -- I have to admit you've found a way to stay on the bleeding edge.  If I want to know what's happening equipment wise in this sport I just check out your videos and posts.   :)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2021, 09:26:14 AM »
I have the same basic philosophy about gear and age, but it battles with a fundamental frugality learned when I was poor.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2021, 10:20:09 AM »
I have the same basic philosophy about gear and age, but it battles with a fundamental frugality learned when I was poor.

For many, who have some financial resources during their "mature" years, it took years of frugality to get there.  Old habits die hard -- I keep reminding myself that I can't take it with me and my beneficiaries will probably spent it without a second thought about where it came from.  I'm at the point where that old 60's song now makes sense -- "Da da da da da da live for today for tomorrow may never come".

juandesooka

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2021, 10:26:34 AM »

Ding ding. Same for me! In becoming a lifelong surfer, one of the deciding factors in early 20s was cheaper gear and not buying lift tickets.  And now here I am chasing foils and wings LOL.  Now in early 50s, I am getting the advanced mid life crisis feeling about just how many years are left for this level of activity.  So spend the $ now. Though listen to Jim Bones Progression Project podcast....74 and doing 6 hour sessions!  There's still some time. But he's buying whatever gear he needs!

Back to thread subject: I have moved my 3m HL / 5m A-series to the 4/6 A-series quiver that I feel I "need".  Now ready to rumble.  Though I already have regrets about giving up the 3m....when the wind's high 30s or 40s, that small wing is gold. I will see how the upper end of 4m is like, and may end up reinvesting.  Former ozone winger, loved that wasp, I used my 4m to mid 40s but I know a part of that high end performance was how bagged out it got, the extra flex in handles and leading edge helping soften those gusts.  :P   I foresee the 4m aluula ripping my arms off in 40kt.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2021, 11:04:35 AM »
Yeah, Jim is a force of nature. Interesting aside--Jim and the Artist Ari Vandershoot were the first owners of Ponohouse. Some day I'll get the full story from Jim. He's one hell of a waterman, always fun to talk with, and he's amazingly agile, getting up on his prone board so fast and smooth. That's simply impossible for me. We're more or less the same age--74. They give short rides on this merry-go-round.

But yes, Juan, I'm certain my heirs will blow through any inheritance with a tiny fraction of the attention I give to preserving the bucks--then again I don't want to spend my last decade flipping burgers or greeting at Walmart.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 11:08:11 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2021, 11:10:58 AM »
First one of you geezers to buy a Mike's Lab wins. Actually suprised it hasn't happened already....

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2021, 12:57:53 PM »
If I thought it would work for me, yeah, sure. I don't see anything there for fat geezers.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2021, 01:01:37 PM »
First one of you geezers to buy a Mike's Lab wins. Actually suprised it hasn't happened already....

I’ve heard about two people who tested the Mikes Lab 1100 back to back against the ART-999 and both thought the 999 was better. Mike has the better mast though.

spindrift

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2021, 04:34:32 PM »
Wait till you try next years models...wow.

Not fair to offer the gift and then not open the box. :-X
Life Rewards Movement

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2021, 04:53:20 PM »

I’ve heard about two people who tested the Mikes Lab 1100 back to back against the ART-999 and both thought the 999 was better.

Were they fat geezers by any chance? Just so I know how many years I have on this foil before I need to switch to an ART ;D
in progress...

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2021, 04:56:23 AM »
My wife has noticed one feature of the A-Glide that is particular to her. She has mentioned it several times after a session. Harness hook-in is way easier. The power is so smooth and steady, she never has an oh-shit, almost did a wheelie moment, trying to hook-in. Being 116 lbs, this issue probably doesn’t apply to many others.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #72 on: December 27, 2021, 05:47:51 PM »
The carbon handle on the OR. The contest going on now.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #73 on: December 28, 2021, 05:12:51 AM »

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: December 28, 2021, 09:16:19 AM »
My wife has noticed one feature of the A-Glide that is particular to her. She has mentioned it several times after a session. Harness hook-in is way easier. The power is so smooth and steady, she never has an oh-shit, almost did a wheelie moment, trying to hook-in. Being 116 lbs, this issue probably doesn’t apply to many others.

Which inflation pump do you use for the A-glide?  12 lbs is alot of PSI

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal