Author Topic: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula  (Read 74910 times)

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2021, 10:23:41 PM »
Is that a cut up power cord for a harness line on your 2k wing?

juandesooka

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2021, 10:27:37 AM »
Troll....you KNOW it is!   ;D

Works pretty well actually, better than rope (too limp, gets stuck in hook), not as good as the proper plastic covered line you made for me and I've yet to attach.   :P
The main negative for the power cord solution....when pumping it swings back and forth violently, and it hurts if you get whipped in the face by it. The other negative, it looks bad.

Back to the thread: my half-a**ed power cord loop is not up to the quality standard this wing deserves, and I pledge to do better.  8)

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2021, 08:57:50 PM »
Troll....you KNOW it is!   ;D

Works pretty well actually, better than rope (too limp, gets stuck in hook), not as good as the proper plastic covered line you made for me and I've yet to attach.   :P
The main negative for the power cord solution....when pumping it swings back and forth violently, and it hurts if you get whipped in the face by it. The other negative, it looks bad.

Back to the thread: my half-a**ed power cord loop is not up to the quality standard this wing deserves, and I pledge to do better.  8)

I had to. lol.

peterwSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2021, 05:17:05 PM »
Does anyone have anything they can add about the HL series wings?  I get that paying the extra $$ for the full Aluula will give you a better wing, but can anyone break this down a bit more?  I understand that the HL series will be not as light, but still lighter than most or almost all others.  I assume(?) that the dacron leading edge is a larger diameter but is still not as stiff as the A-series.  Is that mostly an issue for heavier riders perhaps?  Maybe the low end is not quite as good with the bigger LE tube?

Maybe the simpler question might be that if the full Aluula wings are better than the vast majority of the wings, how does the HL series compare to the other popular models out there?  Is it just in among the crowd, or does it still stand out among the others?

Thx,
Peter

Velasco

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2021, 10:26:49 PM »
If you haven't taken off the middle handle and repositioned the front and back handle (to the newly vacated spots), stop what you are doing and take care of that immediately - I did this today and the wing woke up and realized its full potential...

Stock out of the bag, my 5.0 was great when there were whitecaps.  I could not pump the wing because the handles were pretty loosey goosey.  I had used it for a handful of sessions and started looking forward to when OR was going to release the boom that could be retrofitted to the Glide.

After thinking about how I loved the Ensis V2 handles, and looking at the handles on the Glide, I undid the center handle and took the slack out of the front and rear handle by using those connection points - this is a totally different wing now - huge range, awesome "power" (forward drive, not grunty lift), and can pump super easy now.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2021, 10:56:33 PM »
Mark Raaphorst fabricated a rigid, super light boom that slips into the handle pockets. A lovely piece of work. I guess I need to get one of these.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2021, 06:59:57 AM »
Mark Raaphorst fabricated a rigid, super light boom that slips into the handle pockets. A lovely piece of work. I guess I need to get one of these.

My understanding is that OR is going to come out with their Carbon boom add-on in a month or two... Maybe Mark will give you his once it's released
in progress...

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2021, 07:01:17 AM »
If you haven't taken off the middle handle and repositioned the front and back handle (to the newly vacated spots), stop what you are doing and take care of that immediately - I did this today and the wing woke up and realized its full potential...

Stock out of the bag, my 5.0 was great when there were whitecaps.  I could not pump the wing because the handles were pretty loosey goosey.  I had used it for a handful of sessions and started looking forward to when OR was going to release the boom that could be retrofitted to the Glide.

After thinking about how I loved the Ensis V2 handles, and looking at the handles on the Glide, I undid the center handle and took the slack out of the front and rear handle by using those connection points - this is a totally different wing now - huge range, awesome "power" (forward drive, not grunty lift), and can pump super easy now.

Thanks for the tip! I'll try that as soon as I get mine 8)
in progress...

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2021, 05:03:59 PM »
Does anyone have anything they can add about the HL series wings?  I get that paying the extra $$ for the full Aluula will give you a better wing, but can anyone break this down a bit more?  I understand that the HL series will be not as light, but still lighter than most or almost all others.  I assume(?) that the dacron leading edge is a larger diameter but is still not as stiff as the A-series.  Is that mostly an issue for heavier riders perhaps?  Maybe the low end is not quite as good with the bigger LE tube?

Maybe the simpler question might be that if the full Aluula wings are better than the vast majority of the wings, how does the HL series compare to the other popular models out there?  Is it just in among the crowd, or does it still stand out among the others?

Thx,
Peter

Peter,

The  Hybrid Glide is still best in class, or close to. The wing Is still very light, handling fantastic and the high pressure strut/boom is a beauty.

peterwSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2021, 03:21:29 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I actually bought a 4m a couple days after I asked the question above and got one good day on it before it got sub-zero and too cold here.  I have only ridden a few other wings but I was quite impressed and happy with the purchase.  I might have to try the tightening of the handles tip, although I was able to undo the middle handle at one end and slide on a regular windsurfing harness line on the middle handle, and then fine-tune its position for nice balance, so that was kind of nice too!

Peter

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2021, 04:06:35 AM »
The carbon handle option from the manual.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2021, 11:27:02 AM »
That's clever, but intrinsically wobblier than what mark did. His has long, fingers that fit under the strap from the opposite direction. and are curved to fit the strut. He made the ends detachable, which is probably a mistake. A fixed end can be fitted while the strut is deflated. I think this base design of a strap that any kind of handle can fit under is the direction wings will go in the future. It's a simple thing to do, extremely light, and far more flexible in terms of what the end configuration is--mini booms, full boom, handles, or whatever. It's more or less what Admin has been insisting would be best for the last three years. Though I think he was imagining something more like a threaded strut. This is better.

With the inherently rigid Allula fabric pumped to a higher tension than dacron can be, it's ideal. If I wasn't feeling like I'm leaking money right now I buy one today.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 11:28:50 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2021, 06:49:48 PM »
It is clever. Probably lighter solution as well.
Should extend the low end of this wing.

4M A Series on its way. Would be very interesting to test the range of this one
in progress...

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2021, 03:45:37 PM »
I was one of those guys who said “no way am I buying a wing that expensive”

Well then I tried one.

They are special. Very special.

Looking beyond the obvious, the Aluula, my amateur wing designer mind is saying hum, look at this…

Wing tips twist UP. Called washout in the hang glider world. By contrast, BRM tips twist DOWN.

The leading edge arcs upward. Other wings lay flat when tipped to one side. Interesting.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CW30kwoFVye/?utm_medium=copy_link
I WAS going to make carbon handles, now I’m not. I think these handles might be better than rigid carbon. These handles are direct and responsive, while being the most comfortable on the hands…ever!  Without the wrist torquing you get with a hard boom.

https://youtu.be/Trzf6OaCdTY
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 04:37:06 PM by Dwight (DW) »

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2021, 04:52:46 PM »
I was one of those guys who said “no way am I buying a wing that expensive”

Well then I tried one.

They are special. Very special.

Looking beyond the obvious, the Aluula, my amateur wing designer mind is saying hum, look at this…

Wing tips twist UP. Called washout in the hang glider world. By contrast, BRM tips twist DOWN.

The leading edge arcs upward. Other wings lay flat when tipped to one side. Interesting.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CW30kwoFVye/?utm_medium=copy_link
I WAS going to make carbon handles, now I’m not. I think these handles might be better than rigid carbon. These handles are direct and responsive, while being the most comfortable on the hands…ever!  Without the wrist torquing you get with a hard boom.

https://youtu.be/Trzf6OaCdTY

Ross Harington was a Hangglider pilot for many years. He was one of the only people that were trusted to design and repair gear. That was 30 years ago, so he has prob learned a few things since then most likely.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal