Author Topic: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula  (Read 74894 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2021, 09:24:50 PM »
While the prices might seem silly, I think a two or three-wing quiver is not just feasible, but likely. If the wings cost 2X what standard wings cost but you only need two or three, then the quiver cost is about the same. I know I don't really need a 2.8. 3.5. 4.2.5.0. 6.0 7.0 quiver--but that's what I have. If I could cover the same span of wind and swell with 3.0, 5.0, 7.0 I'd be a happy camper.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2021, 09:41:56 PM »
Bill you'll be happy. it sounds like a f'in kite add, but that 5m felt like a 4m in its handling but was as powerful as the 6m wasp. We did a bunch of head to head tests vs WASP, vs Takuma wing ride III vs hybrid series. I would prob do a 3.5, 5m allula quiver and be set at 190 pds.

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2021, 04:38:48 AM »
Time will tell.  When winging first came on, we thought we would only need a couple of sizes due to their wind ranges.  But the reality is that there seems to be an optimal range for each wing and now most of the obsessed have full quivers.  I hope it is truly different for these wings.

Supfool

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2021, 10:18:11 AM »
Hey Vancouver foiler, are you being bias?  I know OR is a big deal up that way, just want to make sure you don’t work or ride for them....

Nice user name Supfoo.  I can tell you as a Vancouver kiter/wingfoiler that ORs actually aren't all that popular up here. I see way more Naish and Duotone, North and Airush kites typically.  Head across to Vancouver Island and it's a different story.

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2021, 08:03:46 AM »
Bill you'll be happy. it sounds like a f'in kite add, but that 5m felt like a 4m in its handling but was as powerful as the 6m wasp. We did a bunch of head to head tests vs WASP, vs Takuma wing ride III vs hybrid series. I would prob do a 3.5, 5m allula quiver and be set at 190 pds.

Great to have some feedback, finally! Thanks! Been impatiently waiting for these to arrive in the UK...

What was the difference between the full Aluula A Series and HL/hybrid like? I'm currently on a waiting list for an HL/hybrid 5m (went for Slicks for 4 and 3m as I was boom curious). I was up for getting an A Series, but it was the Dacron canopy that made me pause. I expect to throw some cash at a three wing A Series quiver in future though...
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2021, 08:31:33 AM »

Great to have some feedback, finally! Thanks! Been impatiently waiting for these to arrive in the UK...

What was the difference between the full Aluula A Series and HL/hybrid like? I'm currently on a waiting list for an HL/hybrid 5m (went for Slicks for 4 and 3m as I was boom curious). I was up for getting an A Series, but it was the Dacron canopy that made me pause. I expect to throw some cash at a three wing A Series quiver in future though...

I'm not an expert or an OR spokeman so you may want to ask them, but the A series is full Allula airframe from what I saw. The HL is Allula boom and Dacron LE.
Seems like a lot of ppl are waiting for full Allula canopy. If that's the case I suspect you'll be waiting a very long time.

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2021, 02:06:48 PM »

I'm not an expert or an OR spokeman so you may want to ask them, but the A series is full Allula airframe from what I saw. The HL is Allula boom and Dacron LE.
Seems like a lot of ppl are waiting for full Allula canopy. If that's the case I suspect you'll be waiting a very long time.

Sorry, I should have been clearer with my question. It was the difference in performance between the two - thought you got to ride both?
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2021, 02:31:48 PM »

Sorry, I should have been clearer with my question. It was the difference in performance between the two - thought you got to ride both?

As i said above, the full Allula airframe was superior in everyway.

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2021, 03:19:10 PM »
As i said above, the full Allula airframe was superior in everyway.

Ok, thanks!

Found your other thread, which fleshes out that assessment a bit...
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

crSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2021, 05:40:29 AM »
I can't wait, just looking at the leading edge tells me what I need to know.

I read this comment the other day and got me thinking, would you be so kind to elaborate what you look in a leading edge and why? (here or in a new post)

thanks for your contributions, I have been reading some of your adventures and they are.... at least entertaining  ;D

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2021, 09:04:27 AM »
I can't wait, just looking at the leading edge tells me what I need to know.

I read this comment the other day and got me thinking, would you be so kind to elaborate what you look in a leading edge and why? (here or in a new post)

thanks for your contributions, I have been reading some of your adventures and they are.... at least entertaining  ;D

The allula leading edges are small diameter, taking advantage of the higher pressure capabilities of the fabric. A small diameter leading edge with typical wing pressure would be floppy. Large diameter leading edges backwind easily and are inefficient aerodynamically.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 09:07:42 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Velasco

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2021, 02:16:28 AM »
Any new feedback on the A-series Glide?

juandesooka

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2021, 08:33:52 AM »
Any new feedback on the A-series Glide?

I got a 5m about a month ago. Used it 3-4 times, only in light wind so far, and I am extremely stoked.  The rigid frame provides excellent power transfer pumping, which extends its low end -- it has replaced my 6m for light wind.  The wing's lightness is really noticable when luffed wave riding.  I had doubts about the style of handles, but was pleasantly surprised....they just seem to work, both for hand pivoting in gybes and to make the grab for luffing.  I am hyper critical about gear, in weighing pros/cons, but can't think of anything negative (other than price of course). 

This mackite review goes over it ... he's pretty frothed out on it.  His conclusion is that this sets the new standard and is the future of wings.  I tend to agree ... 5 years from now I suspect there will be a divide between the high end performance gear made with aluula (across all brands, not just OR), and less expensive entry level gear for beginners and hacking around.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_fWL4mzxDE

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2021, 07:31:24 PM »
Wow, looking at that powered up shape in the middle photo is making me crazy. Beautiful wing. the shape wouldn't be any cleaner if it were made out of fiberglass.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2021, 08:34:51 PM »
Stoked! Looks like this wing is found a good match in the rider 8) But man, those shots are right out of the catalog...
in progress...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal