Author Topic: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula  (Read 74930 times)

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2021, 04:55:56 PM »
Dude.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2021, 09:58:21 AM »
I saw a photo of Marks wing with the carbon boom. His wing is different than mine. Older model?

Notice how my center strut has 6 attachment points for the handles. Marks wing only has 4 attachment points. Mine has the option to setup tight handles, or loose handles. Mark has no options. I can understand why he absolutely had to make his own boom if his wing came with loose handles.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2021, 05:31:07 AM »
Cool screen grab from a video. The US flag on the side of the building is the size of an NBA basketball court.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2021, 04:51:42 PM »
Closer look at the handles

https://youtu.be/HemokHEPjkw

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2021, 05:52:20 PM »
I saw a photo of Marks wing with the carbon boom. His wing is different than mine. Older model?

Notice how my center strut has 6 attachment points for the handles. Marks wing only has 4 attachment points. Mine has the option to setup tight handles, or loose handles. Mark has no options. I can understand why he absolutely had to make his own boom if his wing came with loose handles.

Pretty solid upgrade moving the handle attachment points wider.

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2021, 06:28:16 PM »
Cool screen grab from a video. The US flag on the side of the building is the size of an NBA basketball court.

Very cool photo Dwight.

You obviously like the OR, are you going to fill us in.

The flag is actually more than double the size of an NBA basketball court.   209 feet tall by 110 feet wide.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2021, 06:40:33 PM »

The flag is actually more than double the size of an NBA basketball court.   209 feet tall by 110 feet wide.

Jacky and I debated what they told us on the tour bus. I said football field. She swears they said NBA court. Sounds like the tour guides are making it up as the go. ;-)

We took the tour when than ran a special deal for locals.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2021, 11:07:42 AM »

So is this near Cape Canaveral? 

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2021, 12:39:37 PM »

So is this near Cape Canaveral?

Yes. I live 5 miles from the cape employee gate and Blue Origin factory.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2021, 07:57:49 AM »
If you haven't taken off the middle handle and repositioned the front and back handle (to the newly vacated spots), stop what you are doing and take care of that immediately - I did this today and the wing woke up and realized its full potential...

Stock out of the bag, my 5.0 was great when there were whitecaps.  I could not pump the wing because the handles were pretty loosey goosey.  I had used it for a handful of sessions and started looking forward to when OR was going to release the boom that could be retrofitted to the Glide.

After thinking about how I loved the Ensis V2 handles, and looking at the handles on the Glide, I undid the center handle and took the slack out of the front and rear handle by using those connection points - this is a totally different wing now - huge range, awesome "power" (forward drive, not grunty lift), and can pump super easy now.

Thanks for the tip! I'll try that as soon as I get mine 8)

That was exactly my experience on the 4M. Very responsive when pumping, just as good as boom based wings I tried but without the extra load.
First try on 15knots day, easily up on a 1600 foil (a thin profile mid aspect) with my 190+ and 25LB rig.

This wing rides very different than my F-one Strike/Swing, Not better across the board but certainly better in certain areas. Much more stable both luffing and when waiting for gusts.
Much more responsive when pumping. It's about a pound heavier than my 3.5M Swing but feels just as light when handling. The 3.5M feels like a toy kite in comparison.

When it comes to upwind riding this wing is also very different the the Strike. With the Strike I'm able to point upwind much sooner and have better ability in light conditions
but with the Glide, as soon as I build a little speed, I'm able to hold a much better line without continuously edging.

Will see how it goes once have more time on the wing but I'm stoked. I tried few other highly regarded wings and I couldn't wait to end the session and go back to my F-one.
Not the case with the Glide. One of the big differences for me with the Glide is the front hand pressure where with the F-one is back hand. Just 2 Cents of a not highly skilled winger.

One thing I can say for sure is that after reconfiguring the handles I'm no longer looking forward to the carbon handles.

in progress...

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2021, 04:35:52 PM »
How differentiated are the Glide-A vs the Glide-HL Ocean Rodeo models?  Does the Glide HL cut it or do you have to go full Allula for the benefits?

I am specifically looking at 4.0 meters to start.  I am massively leaning towards a boom WING but am getting swayed by the light weight and surfability observed by these OR wings.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2021, 05:25:52 PM »
  Does the Glide HL cut it or do you have to go full Allula for the benefits?

We were prepared to buy HL in smaller sizes and A in bigger. Mainly because the internet opinions had stated Aluula was so stiff, some said, everyone might not like it. Better to go softer construction in smaller sizes, they said.

We did not take that advice AFTER riding the OR A wing 5m and 6m. My wife and I are continually amazed by these two sizes. We both swear these wings have a surreal ride. Buttery smooth to a level that is shocking (even for my 116 lb wife) They make gusty offshore wind, feel dead steady. My best guess is, the rigid airframe NOT distorting is why, and maybe a brilliant wing design. Dacron wings distort in every gust, possibly making the ride feel more gusty.

We have yet to experience high wind. Our sessions so far maxed out at gusts to 19-20 on the wind. We have maybe 6 sessions on the 5 and 6. We have been avoiding rigging smaller to test stability at the limits. Rock stable in the harness. You can ride no hands, like a windsurf sail.

We decided to go full Aluula and bought the 4 and 3 also. Leap of faith solely based on how superior the design of OR 5 and 6 is.

You’ll notice the OR team rider in this video also changed his handles to the wide and tight setting.

https://youtu.be/zKUPlZS-ZKQ

« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 05:29:10 PM by Dwight (DW) »

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2021, 05:40:23 PM »
How differentiated are the Glide-A vs the Glide-HL Ocean Rodeo models?  Does the Glide HL cut it or do you have to go full Allula for the benefits?

I am specifically looking at 4.0 meters to start.  I am massively leaning towards a boom WING but am getting swayed by the light weight and surfability observed by these OR wings.

I can't speak about the HL as I got the Glide-A 4M. This wing is 3.5lbs. But feels like nothing. All my friends with Armstrong, Duotone, Cabrinha were super impressed how light this wing feels.
As far as responsiveness, for me, it felt as responsive as the DuoTone Echo but felt much better in operating. I recently added the SlingShot Phantasm PTM 926 to my quiver. This foil requires aggressive short quick wing pumps to get it up, especially with my board and its long tail. The OR got me up easily on a 17knots day. They do have carbon handles attachment compatible with this wing coming up shortly, just in case you'll feel the need. Hope that helps.
in progress...

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2021, 07:38:46 PM »
Wait till you try next years models...wow.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 08:02:28 PM by Vancouver_foiler »

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2021, 11:13:46 PM »
Wait till you try next years models...wow.
Someone on the Australian site has said they have tried a Glide with a full Aluula based canopy? Can you confirm or deny?!?

I was very excited when I first heard about these wings and I'm still very excited about these wings, despite not buying this season - they just took too long to land in the UK so got the Slicks instead. If a full Aluula canopy is on the way, I expect to be much poorer for it, and will wait as long as it takes!
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal