Author Topic: Inflatable vs Hardboard: performance  (Read 4604 times)

singingdog

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Inflatable vs Hardboard: performance
« on: May 27, 2021, 04:42:37 AM »
I paddle a BIC Tracer WS, really like it. I am a 5x/week fitness paddler, not a racer. I do enjoy going out in a variety of conditions but live inland, so that means "calm" to most of you. I do like touring and adventure paddling where I feel like my BIC has to be treated with kid gloves: anyplace I am going to paddle is very rocky with challenging landings. I have been considering selling the BIC and going to an inflatable for the durability in those conditions. What am I giving up in terms of performance? I have spent some time on a RED 12 6 Race. I find it still has a "flexy" feel. I also find it feels like it's sitting "on" the water as opposed to "in" the water (if that makes sense). Any input is appreciated.

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Inflatable vs Hardboard: performance
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2021, 08:56:52 AM »
I don't know what your board is made of, but from my personal experience BIC boards were most durable board I have to deal with. Plastic hard shell is indestructible in my book comparing PU, carbon or inflatable. Performance is better on rigid boards in my opinion. My infallibles have naturally more pronounced  flex that my rigid boards but this is expected and it don't bother me much.  Sitting ON vs sitting IN water - bothers me more, esp on a windy day :)
Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003, Sunova Soul

LoudounSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2021, 03:20:07 PM »
IMO, everyone's first SUP should be an inflatable. They are just so forgiving to drops, bumps, and other 'accidents'. Sure, they may be slower than a comparable hard board but their versatility really provides an extra layer of forgiveness for newbies. I'm on a 'performance iSUP" and sure, it was still way slower than my 14x22 NSP Ninja, but the journey was far more enjoyable. I also launch and dock off a rock so rubbing against vinyl is no problem compared to the awful stretches that an carbon or epoxy board would sustain.
SUP in Nordic Virginia
2018 SIC X 14'0 TWC
2019 SIC RS Air Glide 14x28

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2021, 01:52:59 PM »
I do many days a week for fitness snd fun, at 260 thr Starboard Airline and (borrowed) Starboard Dual Chamber Touring have both been a lot of fun. I am starting to stay above 5mph on the Airline too. It's slower the my unlimited but so easy to deal with. Its super durable against rocks etc. I find it about as stiff as my 2015 Red Elite at 25 psi and way more stable so way more fun.

LoudounSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2021, 04:37:24 AM »
I do many days a week for fitness snd fun, at 260 thr Starboard Airline and (borrowed) Starboard Dual Chamber Touring have both been a lot of fun. I am starting to stay above 5mph on the Airline too. It's slower the my unlimited but so easy to deal with. Its super durable against rocks etc. I find it about as stiff as my 2015 Red Elite at 25 psi and way more stable so way more fun.

That's really moving. The Airline, racing Shark iSUP, and 2020 or newer RS Air Glide with hard pointy bow all appear to have true displacement bows for flatwater speed. My 2019 RS Air Glide is basically an iSUP raft and is always planing. Still, my best 2-mile avg. speed is 5.03 MPH and 4-mile avg. speed is 4.78 MPH.
SUP in Nordic Virginia
2018 SIC X 14'0 TWC
2019 SIC RS Air Glide 14x28

singingdog

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2021, 04:57:27 AM »
My BIC is a 24 lb carbon/glass board: 14x26. My worry about moving to an inflatable is the loss in preformance, especially in open water cross chop.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2021, 05:32:42 PM »
My BIC is a 24 lb carbon/glass board: 14x26. My worry about moving to an inflatable is the loss in preformance, especially in open water cross chop.

In certain conditions you'll see loss in performance for sure. cross-wind/cross-chop are not good friend with inflatables based on my experience.
One could push really good speeds on inflatable in flat water but when it comes to open water and challenging conditions, I'll always reach for my hard board.

I think oceanAddict was spot-on in his description of sitting on the water for the inflatable VS in the water for the hard board. That's why you see the big difference in performance
in cross-wind/cross-chop conditions.

That said, the peace of mind and ease of transporting/storage space makes a really good argument for the inflatable if your conditions are not too challenging.

Here is a video I made few years back when I just started paddling. You can skip through and see how the board is affected by the various conditions.
Inflatable boards have improved much since but are still lacking. The second video show a board model 2 years after the first one and you can notice the difference in stiffness.
No matter how stiff these boards are, you're still sitting on the water and I still think the experience on inflatable is not on par with the hard board

https://youtu.be/iMrZH1zZROY

https://youtu.be/g4JYDFrMOto
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 05:37:55 PM by burchas »
in progress...

singingdog

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2021, 04:39:49 AM »

In certain conditions you'll see loss in performance for sure. cross-wind/cross-chop are not good friend with inflatables based on my experience.
One could push really good speeds on inflatable in flat water but when it comes to open water and challenging conditions, I'll always reach for my hard board.

I think oceanAddict was spot-on in his description of sitting on the water for the inflatable VS in the water for the hard board. That's why you see the big difference in performance
in cross-wind/cross-chop conditions.

That said, the peace of mind and ease of transporting/storage space makes a really good argument for the inflatable if your conditions are not too challenging.

Here is a video I made few years back when I just started paddling. You can skip through and see how the board is affected by the various conditions.
Inflatable boards have improved much since but are still lacking. The second video show a board model 2 years after the first one and you can notice the difference in stiffness.
No matter how stiff these boards are, you're still sitting on the water and I still think the experience on inflatable is not on par with the hard board

https://youtu.be/iMrZH1zZROY

https://youtu.be/g4JYDFrMOto
Thanks. I appreciate the thoughtful response.

* Recent Posts

post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 15, 2024, 01:37:51 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal