Author Topic: Foildrive motor  (Read 14244 times)

PonoBill

  • Cortez Bank Status
  • *****
  • Posts: 25066
    • View Profile
Re: Foildrive motor
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2021, 04:23:59 PM »
It's entirely possible that the battery box will fail. My guess is that it's sufficiently stout and well mounted to survive, but it's just a guess. The racks are bedded in divinycell that extended from the deck to the bottom, with what looked like a single patch of carbon on the top. My box is two layers of carbon on the bottom and sides (bagged) then 1/4" ply, then an aluminum plate on the inside, then two layers of fiberglass (mostly to isolate the aluminum from the carbon which would electrochemically corrode it quickly, then a layer of carbon across the bottom and up the sides. the box is glued in with expanding two-part foam, then connects to the deck with two wide strips of carbon. I think it's about as strong as I could make it without fabricating an integrated hatch cover. I elected to use a prefabbed ABS deck cover which doesn't add much to the structural integrity. I give it an 80 percent chance of working which means a 20 percent chance of blowing out. An impact vest and helmet is a requirement, not just for the potential sudden disassembly, but for the difficulty of throttling down five horsepower.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUPJorge

  • Sunset Status
  • ****
  • Posts: 463
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Foildrive motor
« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2021, 08:09:49 AM »
Maybe change the location of the battery box on V.2?
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

juandesooka

  • Rincon Status
  • ***
  • Posts: 103
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Foildrive motor
« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2021, 05:36:09 PM »
I give it an 80 percent chance of working which means a 20 percent chance of blowing out.

Yikes! With a non floating SS set up and that big heavy motor, make sure you tie on a strong tether, in case of failure.  Sure would be painful to see that sink into the deeps.

PonoBill

  • Cortez Bank Status
  • *****
  • Posts: 25066
    • View Profile
Re: Foildrive motor
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2021, 10:55:57 AM »
Yeah, it's tethered, both by a thin cable to a little hole I drilled in the mast and by the wiring. If the board breaks in half the tracks will still probably have most of the tail and all of the PVC block. But still...
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

  • Cortez Bank Status
  • *****
  • Posts: 25066
    • View Profile
Re: Foildrive motor
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2021, 10:55:10 PM »
Alex Aguera took his foildrive out in more or less flat water a couple of days ago and was getting it up and foiling like it was an eFoil. the construction on those things is better than I expected. they're using outrunner motors so they have better torque at low RPM. Folding prop is nicely done too. the battery is seriously dinky, but adequate for the intended use.

In other news, this thing came in the mail today. 400 bucks. I don't actually have a board that I want to carve up to accommodate this though I think I still have an old Jimmy Lewis board I lent to Boyum that might be OK to sink a finbox into. The torque is surprisingly good, I stuck it in the pool and held it. Pulled pretty good, I think it will be enough to act as a cheap Foil Drive and help me get up in unbroken waves.

We'll see.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

  • Cortez Bank Status
  • *****
  • Posts: 4680
    • View Profile
Re: Foildrive motor
« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2021, 09:38:54 PM »
Oh, I gotta watch this one...

Vancouver_foiler

  • Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
  • ***
  • Posts: 141
    • View Profile
Re: Foildrive motor
« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2021, 10:43:39 PM »
Alex Aguera took his foildrive out in more or less flat water a couple of days ago and was getting it up and foiling like it was an eFoil. the construction on those things is better than I expected. they're using outrunner motors so they have better torque at low RPM. Folding prop is nicely done too. the battery is seriously dinky, but adequate for the intended use.

In other news, this thing came in the mail today. 400 bucks. I don't actually have a board that I want to carve up to accommodate this though I think I still have an old Jimmy Lewis board I lent to Boyum that might be OK to sink a finbox into. The torque is surprisingly good, I stuck it in the pool and held it. Pulled pretty good, I think it will be enough to act as a cheap Foil Drive and help me get up in unbroken waves.

We'll see.

Where'd you get the fin motor dealeo? I want one, or two maybe. Like an A-10 lol.

PonoBill

  • Cortez Bank Status
  • *****
  • Posts: 25066
    • View Profile
Re: Foildrive motor
« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2021, 12:15:55 AM »
I wound up putting it into my new Flying Dutchman SUP foil board. It's just a fin box, and it turned out to be the only board I could actually fit the box into without interfering with my mast tracks. It's a new board, and a beautiful piece of work, so I did a very careful job. Not my usual hack.

I tried it today in the harbor. The battery box was too much in the way for me to stand with my crappy knee. I need to extend the cable so I can mount the battery in the front. I'm pretty pleased with the power though, At full throttle, it started to get very light on the water. I think with either a paddle assist or a couple of pumps I could pop up. I want this for downwinding, and I think it will work well once I get a few bugs worked out.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 12:18:30 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

 


SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal