Author Topic: Foildrive motor  (Read 41225 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Foildrive motor
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2021, 04:23:59 PM »
It's entirely possible that the battery box will fail. My guess is that it's sufficiently stout and well mounted to survive, but it's just a guess. The racks are bedded in divinycell that extended from the deck to the bottom, with what looked like a single patch of carbon on the top. My box is two layers of carbon on the bottom and sides (bagged) then 1/4" ply, then an aluminum plate on the inside, then two layers of fiberglass (mostly to isolate the aluminum from the carbon which would electrochemically corrode it quickly, then a layer of carbon across the bottom and up the sides. the box is glued in with expanding two-part foam, then connects to the deck with two wide strips of carbon. I think it's about as strong as I could make it without fabricating an integrated hatch cover. I elected to use a prefabbed ABS deck cover which doesn't add much to the structural integrity. I give it an 80 percent chance of working which means a 20 percent chance of blowing out. An impact vest and helmet is a requirement, not just for the potential sudden disassembly, but for the difficulty of throttling down five horsepower.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2021, 08:09:49 AM »
Maybe change the location of the battery box on V.2?
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

juandesooka

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2021, 05:36:09 PM »
I give it an 80 percent chance of working which means a 20 percent chance of blowing out.

Yikes! With a non floating SS set up and that big heavy motor, make sure you tie on a strong tether, in case of failure.  Sure would be painful to see that sink into the deeps.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2021, 10:55:57 AM »
Yeah, it's tethered, both by a thin cable to a little hole I drilled in the mast and by the wiring. If the board breaks in half the tracks will still probably have most of the tail and all of the PVC block. But still...
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2021, 10:55:10 PM »
Alex Aguera took his foildrive out in more or less flat water a couple of days ago and was getting it up and foiling like it was an eFoil. the construction on those things is better than I expected. they're using outrunner motors so they have better torque at low RPM. Folding prop is nicely done too. the battery is seriously dinky, but adequate for the intended use.

In other news, this thing came in the mail today. 400 bucks. I don't actually have a board that I want to carve up to accommodate this though I think I still have an old Jimmy Lewis board I lent to Boyum that might be OK to sink a finbox into. The torque is surprisingly good, I stuck it in the pool and held it. Pulled pretty good, I think it will be enough to act as a cheap Foil Drive and help me get up in unbroken waves.

We'll see.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2021, 09:38:54 PM »
Oh, I gotta watch this one...

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2021, 10:43:39 PM »
Alex Aguera took his foildrive out in more or less flat water a couple of days ago and was getting it up and foiling like it was an eFoil. the construction on those things is better than I expected. they're using outrunner motors so they have better torque at low RPM. Folding prop is nicely done too. the battery is seriously dinky, but adequate for the intended use.

In other news, this thing came in the mail today. 400 bucks. I don't actually have a board that I want to carve up to accommodate this though I think I still have an old Jimmy Lewis board I lent to Boyum that might be OK to sink a finbox into. The torque is surprisingly good, I stuck it in the pool and held it. Pulled pretty good, I think it will be enough to act as a cheap Foil Drive and help me get up in unbroken waves.

We'll see.

Where'd you get the fin motor dealeo? I want one, or two maybe. Like an A-10 lol.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2021, 12:15:55 AM »
I wound up putting it into my new Flying Dutchman SUP foil board. It's just a fin box, and it turned out to be the only board I could actually fit the box into without interfering with my mast tracks. It's a new board, and a beautiful piece of work, so I did a very careful job. Not my usual hack.

I tried it today in the harbor. The battery box was too much in the way for me to stand with my crappy knee. I need to extend the cable so I can mount the battery in the front. I'm pretty pleased with the power though, At full throttle, it started to get very light on the water. I think with either a paddle assist or a couple of pumps I could pop up. I want this for downwinding, and I think it will work well once I get a few bugs worked out.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 12:18:30 AM by PonoBill »

SUPdad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2022, 12:42:49 PM »
Does anyone know specifically what motor the Foil Drive system uses?  I guess I'm looking for the equivalent Chinese part number. ;D  Also, wanting to know the diameter of the folding prop.  I found a nice cad model of a folding prop recently and want to attempt to machine one.  That will be a big time investment so want to get close to the correct size before I start.  Thanks!

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2022, 01:00:12 PM »
Lots of talk about it on an efoil builders forum. Here’s one such thread.

https://foil.zone/t/foil-drive-assist-diy/12927

juandesooka

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2022, 02:09:07 PM »
Does anyone know specifically what motor the Foil Drive system uses?  I guess I'm looking for the equivalent Chinese part number. ;D  Also, wanting to know the diameter of the folding prop.  I found a nice cad model of a folding prop recently and want to attempt to machine one.  That will be a big time investment so want to get close to the correct size before I start.  Thanks!

Hdip's thread has the info you need for DIY.  Sent you an email with some more info.
Most people are 3d printing the folding props, which seems strong enough (though in the 2 prototypes my buddy made, he's had no issues and I've busted 3 prop blades).  The Lift folding prop is metal, a work of art, and $$$.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 02:14:43 PM by juandesooka »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2022, 07:19:51 PM »
I didn't bring any of my eFoil stuff from Hood River so the powered fin thingy was my weak attempt at Foildriving (I think I'm going to call it a foil boost for lack of a better term). So that didn't work so now I'm all in on making one here in Maui.

The foil drive motor is an N6374 Sensorless waterproof motor. they are about 120 bucks plus freight. I went for a somewhat more powerful, more expensive 65121 Motor since my plan now is to build a lightweight board that can do both boosting and efoiling, depending on where I stick the motor. I'll be 3d printing the parts, prototyping them on the cheap little printer I have here in my shop, and making the finished product in polycarbonate with the Prusa printer that I'm anxiously waiting for arrival. There's no way I could print polycarb with my weenie little toy, even with a lot of hacking.

I scored a rejected hollow foilboard from Mark Raaphorst. He doesn't make these anymore but he had this one in the shop. It has a few places where the stringers popped loose internally, but I was going to cut a big hole in it anyway, so it was fine for me.

I set a hatch into it, now I'm waiting for all the other bits. Getting a decent battery pack could be a hassle. A lot of the usual sources don't have anything. I've got lots of LiFePO4 cells at my shop in hood river, along with nice BMS' and a spot welder, but not here. That block of EPS on the deck is to reinforce the front edge of the hatch opening. I've wrapped it in carbon and stuffed it inside. It made the front edge as firm as the already reinforced sides and rear edge.

It's a little small for me, about 103 liters and 29" wide. In my experience efoils can be a bit smaller than conventional foil boards since you can get up to a standing position while the board is moving along briskly. We'll see.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 07:29:41 PM by PonoBill »

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2022, 11:24:01 AM »
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

juandesooka

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2022, 02:02:42 PM »
I didn't bring any of my eFoil stuff from Hood River so the powered fin thingy was my weak attempt at Foildriving (I think I'm going to call it a foil boost for lack of a better term). So that didn't work so now I'm all in on making one here in Maui.

The foil drive motor is an N6374 Sensorless waterproof motor. they are about 120 bucks plus freight. I went for a somewhat more powerful, more expensive 65121 Motor since my plan now is to build a lightweight board that can do both boosting and efoiling, depending on where I stick the motor. I'll be 3d printing the parts, prototyping them on the cheap little printer I have here in my shop, and making the finished product in polycarbonate with the Prusa printer that I'm anxiously waiting for arrival. There's no way I could print polycarb with my weenie little toy, even with a lot of hacking.

I scored a rejected hollow foilboard from Mark Raaphorst. He doesn't make these anymore but he had this one in the shop. It has a few places where the stringers popped loose internally, but I was going to cut a big hole in it anyway, so it was fine for me.

I set a hatch into it, now I'm waiting for all the other bits. Getting a decent battery pack could be a hassle. A lot of the usual sources don't have anything. I've got lots of LiFePO4 cells at my shop in hood river, along with nice BMS' and a spot welder, but not here. That block of EPS on the deck is to reinforce the front edge of the hatch opening. I've wrapped it in carbon and stuffed it inside. It made the front edge as firm as the already reinforced sides and rear edge.

It's a little small for me, about 103 liters and 29" wide. In my experience efoils can be a bit smaller than conventional foil boards since you can get up to a standing position while the board is moving along briskly. We'll see.

Rad. Stoked to see the mad inventions you'll come up with.  We are still progressing on the DIY foildrives.  My buddy is on his windfoil board, only 5' and 100L, he can just barely stand on it unpowered. But as you say, the forward momentum steadies you, you can even start on your knees and do a quick popup once slowly motoring.  So your board is probably optimal, or may even end up bigger than you want. 

Are you going to work out cooling for your ESC for efoil mode? The new FD has the ESC mounted to have the bottom outside the compartment, so the heat dissipates.  It doesn't appear to use water cooling.   

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2022, 10:38:29 AM »
I'll probably do the same thing I did with my box in Hood River--make the inside base of the hatch box out of aluminum, insulated from the carbon fiber with a layer of fiberglass. Then bolt the aluminum controller box to the aluminum plate. I don't plan to use it much as an eFoil, but if I do I'll add some water cooling. The short bursts of use as a foildrive shouldn't overwhelm the heat transfer capabilities of the plate. Especially since its in contact with the carbon of the hull. The fiberglass will slow the heat transfer but not preclude it. As with everything else in these experiments, we'll see how that goes. I've ordered some temperature test strips but it probably makes more sense for me to build a wireless sensor set to monitor temperature, battery voltage, current, and whatever else suits my fancy.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal