Author Topic: Foildrive motor  (Read 41187 times)

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Foildrive motor
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2021, 08:40:04 AM »
Pono,

That looks serious! How much weight do you estimate it will it add, when all's said and done? Any thoughts about going with a folding prop for smoother "touch and go's".
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2021, 09:47:46 AM »
The drive weighs 4 pounds. Controller and battery is an open question. If I just want to go for the lightest weight and assume I'm going to do just a few boosts I could keep it all down to maybe 3-5 more pounds, otherwise 10-15 pounds more. For a folding prop to be worthwhile I'd need to delete the shroud. So no. I can duplicate some of the effects in software by setting an idle RPM.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2021, 10:00:43 AM »
Hi Jonathon, yeah, that would almost certainly have enough to boost you up. it's a lot more than you'd get with a paddle. And yes, that's probably enough battery for your application. The 4125 is 400 watts, by my estimation, that's about 4 to 6X what you might possibly generate with a paddle. With a 261 wh battery and intermittent use you'd get a couple of hours out of it.

My version is absolute overkill, I'm just using something I already have. I think the guy who built these, Jake Barnhill, is in Australia. You might want to get in touch with him. In his video he hits 46km/h using this drive. Like I said--absolute overkill, I'll probably never use more than a finger brush on the throttle. https://foil.zone/t/complete-geared-motors/11512
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2021, 09:15:07 PM »
Hi Jonathon, yeah, that would almost certainly have enough to boost you up. it's a lot more than you'd get with a paddle. And yes, that's probably enough battery for your application. The 4125 is 400 watts, by my estimation, that's about 4 to 6X what you might possibly generate with a paddle. With a 261 wh battery and intermittent use you'd get a couple of hours out of it.

My version is absolute overkill, I'm just using something I already have. I think the guy who built these, Jake Barnhill, is in Australia. You might want to get in touch with him. In his video he hits 46km/h using this drive. Like I said--absolute overkill, I'll probably never use more than a finger brush on the throttle. https://foil.zone/t/complete-geared-motors/11512

Ponò Im dyin' to see you blast off with that thing man-step in it eh

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2021, 03:40:11 PM »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2021, 09:48:23 AM »
I probably should have posted this here: https://www.ponostyle.com/boosted-foil/

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2021, 10:59:52 AM »
At the risk of sustaining a fairly pointless contention, 750 watts is one horsepower--33,000 pound feet per minute, 550 pound feet per second. Saying you can generate 1500 watts is saying you could pedal a device that lifts 1100 pounds one foot every second, 66,000 pounds one foot in a minute, outpulling two fit draft horses. You can probably understand why I have a tough time with that.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 11:06:03 AM by PonoBill »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2021, 11:17:24 AM »
My website generally makes me look like a fairly smart guy who does complex projects and executes them with a reasonable level of skill. Fortunately there are some posts that pull that right back to earth, with ridiculous projects that go nowhere. As my wife says "whenever I start thinking you're really smart I remind myself that you rode your motorcycle home from a vasectomy". I should never have told her about that. But here's a foil-related total failure:

https://www.ponostyle.com/geezer-foil/

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2021, 03:24:14 PM »
I probably should have posted this here: https://www.ponostyle.com/boosted-foil/

Pono, Mark R is eventually going to stop making you boards if you keep chopping the hell out of them 😆

But truthfully I'll bet he gets off on this stuff as much as you do. Love the build. I think these things could keep us all foiling for years to come, age be damned.

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2021, 04:58:28 PM »
Damn! Is that Falcon Heavy rocket on loan from Elon? Looks like it’ll have you skipping on the water like a rock.😳

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2021, 06:33:52 PM »

Pono, Mark R is eventually going to stop making you boards if you keep chopping the hell out of them 😆

But truthfully I'll bet he gets off on this stuff as much as you do. Love the build. I think these things could keep us all foiling for years to come, age be damned.

Yeah, Mark loves this shit. He's an infinitely better craftsman than I am, but he's willing to modify a brand new Ocean rodeo wind just for the hell of it. He's on his second bladder-inflated molded handle that can't weigh more than 400 grams. I'm pretty sure he's going to break on and turn his 1500 buck wing into an Allula tablecloth.

On the other hand, he's very resistant to building light stuff for me. That board was a production one--early days.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2021, 06:36:13 PM »
Damn! Is that Falcon Heavy rocket on loan from Elon? Looks like it’ll have you skipping on the water like a rock.😳

Yeah, it's about 4000 watts with gear reduction so it's efficient. Roughly equivalent to a 6hp motor. No I don't need that much, it's what I had. I'm sure it's going to be a handful.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2021, 08:11:41 AM »
At the risk of sustaining a fairly pointless contention, 750 watts is one horsepower--33,000 pound feet per minute, 550 pound feet per second. Saying you can generate 1500 watts is saying you could pedal a device that lifts 1100 pounds one foot every second, 66,000 pounds one foot in a minute, outpulling two fit draft horses. You can probably understand why I have a tough time with that.

The girls in track sprinting are near 1500 watts.  The guys are at about 2200.  You may be surprised at how long they can hold that output.  Here's a hint - not as long as a draft horse.     
Support your local shaper

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2021, 08:16:51 AM »
Support your local shaper

juandesooka

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2021, 02:18:44 PM »
Looking forward to the video on the water!

Setting in the box looks pretty skookum. Been thinking on options for this. Any concerns with strength for the mast box build?  The normal build has the HD foam extended to deck, which connects to the glassing, making an I-beam.  So does your plywood box have enough strength to do the same, more or less, spread the mast load to edge wood, which then transfer to deck glass?  The worst case scenario is the mast punches the battery box vertically out of the deck. Which would suck!  I tend to worry and over-think, so that may be the case here.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal