Author Topic: Foildrive motor  (Read 9209 times)

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Foildrive motor
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2021, 08:40:04 AM »
Pono,

That looks serious! How much weight do you estimate it will it add, when all's said and done? Any thoughts about going with a folding prop for smoother "touch and go's".
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2021, 09:47:46 AM »
The drive weighs 4 pounds. Controller and battery is an open question. If I just want to go for the lightest weight and assume I'm going to do just a few boosts I could keep it all down to maybe 3-5 more pounds, otherwise 10-15 pounds more. For a folding prop to be worthwhile I'd need to delete the shroud. So no. I can duplicate some of the effects in software by setting an idle RPM.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2021, 10:00:43 AM »
Hi Jonathon, yeah, that would almost certainly have enough to boost you up. it's a lot more than you'd get with a paddle. And yes, that's probably enough battery for your application. The 4125 is 400 watts, by my estimation, that's about 4 to 6X what you might possibly generate with a paddle. With a 261 wh battery and intermittent use you'd get a couple of hours out of it.

My version is absolute overkill, I'm just using something I already have. I think the guy who built these, Jake Barnhill, is in Australia. You might want to get in touch with him. In his video he hits 46km/h using this drive. Like I said--absolute overkill, I'll probably never use more than a finger brush on the throttle. https://foil.zone/t/complete-geared-motors/11512
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2021, 09:15:07 PM »
Hi Jonathon, yeah, that would almost certainly have enough to boost you up. it's a lot more than you'd get with a paddle. And yes, that's probably enough battery for your application. The 4125 is 400 watts, by my estimation, that's about 4 to 6X what you might possibly generate with a paddle. With a 261 wh battery and intermittent use you'd get a couple of hours out of it.

My version is absolute overkill, I'm just using something I already have. I think the guy who built these, Jake Barnhill, is in Australia. You might want to get in touch with him. In his video he hits 46km/h using this drive. Like I said--absolute overkill, I'll probably never use more than a finger brush on the throttle. https://foil.zone/t/complete-geared-motors/11512

Ponò Im dyin' to see you blast off with that thing man-step in it eh

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal