Author Topic: Sore Feet  (Read 6338 times)

justsomeguy

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Sore Feet
« on: May 26, 2021, 06:08:18 AM »
This has probably been discussed before, but I couldn't find anything when I searched ... After about an hour of paddling on the raceboard, my toes/feet start getting sore/numb. I try to move my toes and shuffle my feet periodically, but still after an hour I'm feeling it.

Thinking about trying to find a thin piece of hi-density foam to provide more cushion & comfort. NSI seems to have a pretty good selection.

Has anybody tried this, and can say what worked for them ?
Fanatic Allwave LTD 9'4"x33"x173L
NSP Carolina 14'x25.75"x299L
+ a few prone surfboards nobody here cares about :)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Sore Feet
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 10:17:28 AM »
Your sore feet may just be a temporary issue.  If this is a board that you have not had a lot of time paddling recently, you might find that as you get more acclimated (or re-acquainted), the involved muscles that are creating the soreness will naturally fire less frequently and the soreness will stop naturally. 

From my own experience in early season paddling, this is usually goes away after a few good paddles. 

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 12:21:45 PM »
It might be something your feet need to adjust to or it might be the pad.

Deck pads can vary a lot in comfort. I've had one or two boards with aggressive tread patterns that were always painful after an hour or two of paddling. It was so bad that I actually considered sanding down the pad or replacing it. I eventually sold them and moved on. It was definitely the pad because I had other boards that I could paddle for 4 or 5 hours with no pain at all.

Softer, thinner deck pads such as what Sunova uses seem to provide the most comfort, at least for my feet.

Thick pads with raised tread patterns that create pressure points seem to be the painful ones.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 12:40:08 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2021, 01:02:18 PM »
I see soreness and numbness as two distinct things.

The cure for numbness is to move your feet, wiggle your toes etc., to promote circulation. Not easy to do (and maintain) in practice.

Then you might have the factor of cold water sloshing around your feet, which is yet another contributing factor to solve for. In Seattle it’s not an issue for three glorious months a year : )

RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

LoudounSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2021, 03:19:15 AM »
This has probably been discussed before, but I couldn't find anything when I searched ... After about an hour of paddling on the raceboard, my toes/feet start getting sore/numb. I try to move my toes and shuffle my feet periodically, but still after an hour I'm feeling it.

Thinking about trying to find a thin piece of hi-density foam to provide more cushion & comfort. NSI seems to have a pretty good selection.

Has anybody tried this, and can say what worked for them ?

I have an odd question for justsomeguy...by chance, do your have a Morton's toe (when the 2nd toe is longer than the first toe)?
SUP in Nordic Virginia
2018 SIC X 14'0 TWC
2019 SIC RS Air Glide 14x28

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2021, 06:28:40 PM »
I don't have the "Morton's toe" but I get the sore foot pads (but not the heel - causse I'm leaning forward all the time - bad form?)  and i'm trying to learn to move more :D I find I hang my feet off the edges of the Starboard Airline side bolsters - maybe I can put a bumpy mat under my feet, shift the load back and forth somehow.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal