Author Topic: Toasted where the sun don't shine  (Read 3165 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Toasted where the sun don't shine
« on: May 22, 2021, 09:58:49 PM »
I managed to get a sunburn today--3 days left on Maui and I get a burn!!! I forgot my rashguard, didn't want to wear a neoprene shirt (hot) or my spring suit (hotter) so I just did a long, long session with my impact vest on. Exacerbating the problem is that this exposes some areas of me that not only haven't been exposed to much sun, but they also have no hair and never tan--a little reminder of one of my stupid accidents, sliding along highway 30 at 85mph in my jeans and a flannel shirt. My safety gear was bungee-ed to the rack on my motorcycle and managed to work its way free and tangle in the chain. I wound up in the emergency room in Tillamook getting road tar scrubbed out of huge abrasions with plastic brushes. I can't recommend the process.

Anyway, those spots don't tan. Fortunately, only one area was exposed, which is good for everyone at the harbor since two major ones are my butt cheeks.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Toasted where the sun don't shine
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2021, 08:31:45 AM »
I'm licking my wounds right now and it's all that frick'n South wind that did it. I had a great surf session last week, then the Wind just blew the swell out. So I went mountain biking and gravity got the best of me. I flew of the jump like I've done a hundred times, but this time I landed face first. X-rays showed no breaks, but my whole body was in a car crash. Road rash head to shins. Two sprained wrists, fluid in my right arm, my kidney's hurt, lot of torn intercostals, but the bike is ok! Currently OUT OF COMMISSION. Now the wind dies and we have surf, but all I can do is watch:( I never get hurt like this surfing......
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2021, 09:10:24 AM »
Damn, that sounds nasty. It takes so long to heal from that kind of hit. Take it easy and get better. I know firsthand that pushing it so you can go play again can cause big setbacks.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2021, 04:50:05 PM »
Dang TD, that's a bummer to hear, hope you heal quickly...and as relatively painlessly as possible.

After rediscovering skateboarding after 55, then thinking that using one of those Big Kahuna land "sup" sticks would improve my sup surfing, and finding that even fancy skateboard wheels don't roll over the barely visible pebbles in the Trail 3 parking lot that had me rolling ass over tea kettle along the asphalt, and the road rash seemed to take forever to heal...the reality hit me that I'm now too old to fall on anything except water, my couch or bed.

So my skateboarding is just slowly around my street if/when I take my annual "hmm, I wonder if I can still pump this thing" trip, and my "mountain biking" any longer, is simply riding like I do in the street (cautiously), but on a dirt walking path or "groomed" fire road instead.

Get well my friend, and back in the water sooner than later. 🙏🏽🤙🏽
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 08:25:27 PM »
Sun is hot, dirt is hard. Y’all get well.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2021, 02:47:21 PM »
damn td---take it easy---i limit my biking to safe commuting at my fair age--mtb i lump in with skating pools---no mas (see roberto duran at hands of sugar ray)
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal