Author Topic: Next wing after Maliko 200 - Progression  (Read 12332 times)

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Next wing after Maliko 200 - Progression
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2021, 07:45:29 PM »
for surfing i always use the 6.5 pedestal...for wing the 9.5 because theres less pumping and turning 😁

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2021, 04:40:24 AM »
Thanks everyone - will probably get both eventually, but for now I grabbed the 9.5" based on shop recommendation. I have a friend with the 6.5", so I may get used to it then switch it up.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2021, 04:05:43 PM »
Got the GL210 with a 9.5" pedestal and a friend had a 14.5" flip tip tail. So......two questions:

1. I'm going from M200 with the standard tail.Should I try the GL210 with the standard tail first just to not change too many variables? Is the 14.5" flip tip big enough?

2. Is the orientation of the flip tip tail right? I know it's one way with the 6.5" pedestal and the opposite with the 9". I took it out today, in very small surf and it felt like I was fighting the tail, or plowing in the water.

It may just be something to get used to, or a lack of any sort of power/wave. By tiny, I mean really tiny, ankle-ish, fighting to not hit the bottom on take off type of deal.

7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2021, 08:59:25 PM »
Appst, I think the tail is right but I only have the short pedestal 14 flip.

One thing that I would recommend is to go back to whatever tail you are used to. The HA wing is so much different than the M200 that you will want some consistency. I would also say that the GL210 has less lift than the M200 and that you might benefit from a fat ass Maliko blue tail.

I have been running my GL210 with my Maliko Blue Chopped tail only.

I bought the 14 flip / Short pedestal and felt like I did not have anything to stomp against when trying to get to wing. Its like my back foot pushed down into the water more and I was not able to engage the foil. I know that as I progress the 14 flip will be awesome but I am just sharing my experience with the GL210.

-red

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2021, 10:08:07 PM »
The tail orientation looks right and it should have enough lift however I used the 14.5 pretty exclusively with the 6.5 and can catch the same waves with the GL180 as I did on my M200.

A few other thoughts:
1) As red_tx said, trying the 210 with the original Maliko tail first isn't a bad idea... that tail is I think 22" wide so stepping down to 14.5" will take getting used to
2) High aspect wings are a step down in initial lift from the Maliko 200 but once you are up and flying it has so much more glide
3) I have a friend that had a Flying V and we noticed the board has some tail rocker and a plate shim kit (https://foilmount.com/products/trim-shim-stackable-hydrofoil-shimming-system) helped a great deal especially in small waves
4) Shimming the 14.5" tail (angling down) can also give you more lift but it also will make the 210 turn faster so there is a tradeoff there (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsX89fH0e3Q)

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2021, 04:08:17 AM »
Thanks everyone, I should have known better than to change two variables at once, especially on a margional day. I'll go back to the Maliko tail, get some sessions in, and go from there. Maybe chop it down as well.

I will say as the session progressed (again, very, very marginal) I was able to get up on foil with a lot of pumping and it felt quick, just the initial lift felt like I was towing an anchor.

I'm going to look into that trim shim as well, has anyone else used this? I thought about going down to a smaller board/Flying-V, but for now, I'm only changing the single variable of M200 to GL 210 for now.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2021, 10:40:30 AM »
I will disagree. I have exactly the same setup and 210 was exactly my next wing. Yes it didn’t have the same lift as maliko on my first 10 waves or so. But I quickly realized that I might have been too front foot heavy. I’d say stick to it - ideally I would recommend to be on 17.5 flip tail (huge difference). Never needed any shims on my JL with Gofoils.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2021, 01:31:54 PM »
I will disagree. I have exactly the same setup and 210 was exactly my next wing. Yes it didn’t have the same lift as maliko on my first 10 waves or so. But I quickly realized that I might have been too front foot heavy. I’d say stick to it - ideally I would recommend to be on 17.5 flip tail (huge difference). Never needed any shims on my JL with Gofoils.

I could get the 17.5" flip tail, actually borrowing the 14.5" so I could switch it out. Going to switch back to Maliko tail for now. I felt too back foot heavy, but again, super margional waves, talking barely whitewater breaking in an inlet, knee high at best.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

pafoil

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2021, 09:41:23 PM »
Hi,
I have been riding the gl240 and NL160. Both for winging and sup. I only use the 6.5" tail with a shopped flat tail to 15".
After testing this setup, I sold the longer tail. Cutting the tail improved my turns and reduced damage on wings and legs. I don't really understand why the companies keep using these sharp tails, when the different in speed is just 1 or 2 knots.
My only advice, is check warranty conditions when buying big wings; the mast tends to brittle when overload.

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2021, 04:20:46 AM »
Looking forward to getting my hands on this and the PNL185.

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2021, 08:00:17 AM »
Hi,
I have been riding the gl240 and NL160. Both for winging and sup. I only use the 6.5" tail with a shopped flat tail to 15".
After testing this setup, I sold the longer tail. Cutting the tail improved my turns and reduced damage on wings and legs. I don't really understand why the companies keep using these sharp tails, when the different in speed is just 1 or 2 knots.
My only advice, is check warranty conditions when buying big wings; the mast tends to brittle when overload.

PA, how much do you weigh?

-thanks red

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2021, 08:03:45 AM »
Looking forward to getting my hands on this and the PNL185.

Surfside, where can I buy the PNL180?

I do not see it anywhere?
Thanks
-red

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2021, 08:56:46 AM »
red, our local dealer is checking and I'll get back to you.

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2021, 11:57:25 AM »
red, sent you a PM

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2021, 12:03:59 PM »
I'm done with tails that aren't two bolts.  Very surprised to see GF come out with a new one-piece tail.  I want to be able to vary the fuse length and shim them for various feels.  I would have thought they would come out with a modern fuselage with an integrated plate mount and a two bolt tail system by now.  Get with the program!

I'd be interested in PNL185 as well - but I can't find any information about it anywhere.  How about some specs, price, availability.  Come on GoFoil - do better!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal