Author Topic: Punta de Mita Delightful  (Read 6195 times)

oldfartsuperdad

• Malibu Status
  • Its All About the Journey - Duh
    • View Profile
    • Email
Punta de Mita Delightful
« on: May 19, 2021, 02:07:23 PM »
Just returned from a 12 day Punta de Mita surf trip.  Cant rave enough about this place for paddle surfing.  Several breaks within a couple miles.  Easy boat hire to access.  Generally not too crowded and friendly vibe at all times.  Cheap beer and delicious food.  Alaska flies the board as a normal bag!  Got lucky with a medium filling in swell from the south that lit up La Lancha and the Cove at times.  Little wind produced shoulder to head glassy conditions.  Right in front of my hotel (Meson de Mita) - drop the board in and paddle over to Anclote for awesome evening rides and easy on the eyes scenery floating around.  Everything was outdoors - including all restaurants and felt safe with low covid rates and a nice little clinic to take the test for return to the States.  Fully vaxed anyway but easy to mask up at times to fit in with the polite local folks.  Felt soooo good to get out of town for a bit and surf-eat-drink-sleep-repeat.....
SIC Bullet V2 14
Custom L41 S3 8.4  145 L
Sunova Creek 9.4 148ltr

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Punta de Mita Delightful
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 02:27:55 PM »
That's the way Mex should be. Awesome  8)
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

supthecreek

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 06:25:01 PM »
Sounds awesome OFSD!
You seem like the perfect traveler.... roll with the flow and enjoy the vibe  :)

The Green and blue looks good in Mex waters!

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2022, 11:41:20 AM »
Looking at a trip staying in same general area in Punta de Mita - how's mid-August? I've been mostly foiling the last 2 years, but I can jump back on my surf SUP for some waves.

I'm guessing it is somewhat dependent on any tropical activity to the south, but typical south swells coming in - what's the typical size/conditions?
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

StellaBlu

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2022, 12:07:38 PM »
Also, anybody know how the wind is in Dec/Jan?  Looks like it might be before the windy season but I can't get very good intel.  Going to be there this winter and figuring out whether to shlep the wing gear.

PabstSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2022, 12:18:28 PM »
I've been there a few times and it's a great spot once the South swells start filling in from Mid-March through November. 

APPST - August is usually pretty reliable, but it's going to be HOT... and you're not going to get a lot of refreshment from the water temps.  I've been surfing across the Sea of Cortez in Baja more recently but PdM is a great spot for surf and also pretty easy to rent decent SUP boards. 

Rick also has been on a great SUP retreat there in the past with Iain Cairns and Sean Poynter - I'm sure there is a thread here somewhere. 

Baja was similar - mellow vibe in the water, everything outdoors and generally very safe Covid-wise. 
Hobie Raw 8'11
Sunova Flow 8'4"
Sunova Speeed 8'10
SIC Bullet 14' ASS

supthecreek

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2022, 05:21:51 PM »
Nice Pabst, cool pic!
Looks like you caught a great swell  :)

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal