Author Topic: Wing Harness (NSI)  (Read 14671 times)

NSIteam

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Wing Harness (NSI)
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2021, 10:30:37 AM »
This was incredible for going upwind!! Both strong and weak side!! Even toeside once. Total game changer for me and my bad surgically repaired shoulders. Serious. I could drive home and sleep with no pain!

I didn’t unhook a few times and was launched while still attached. I didn’t pull a Pono (still chuckling picturing that fall lol) and still got it to release fairly easy.

Again, I have zero wind experience and this was my first ever harness and could attach on the first attempts. I’m on a Gong inflatable so don’t need to worry about beating up my gear... that said, the plastic buckle will not do major damage. 10/10 for my rating. It worked so well that I even went back to the NSI (Hood River) site and left a review. For real. 😁

Glad it worked out well for you! We might be offering a deeper hook sometime in the Summer. Thanks all for the feedback on the reinforcement, all harnesses being made now have much better reinforcement at the attachment points - a bonus to being made in the USA is that we can make these changes quickly! Got a new hook setup coming out soon btw...

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2021, 09:24:24 PM »
If you upgrade the buckles please let me know!! Other than the buckle, I love this set up. 😁

NSIteam

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2021, 10:32:40 AM »
Got a fix for the buckle setup actually! Free to anyone who has purchased a harness from us. We've seen 1 failure at this point and it was in very cold water.

No sewing and retains the adjustability of left or right hip with the excess strap going out to the side. PM me your name/address and I will get those out  :D

The best we can do for any attachment point failures at the moment is to include additional webbing slide loops, very sorry for that oversight. If anyone is in need please let me know through PM.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2021, 02:12:21 PM »
That's pretty cool. The most common failure is from age and UV, one side of the buckle snaps off and then it won't stay closed, or worse, suddenly opens. I'm using a stainless steel reversing loop and a double-sided velcro connection.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2021, 02:19:06 PM »
That's pretty cool. The most common failure is from age and UV, one side of the buckle snaps off and then it won't stay closed, or worse, suddenly opens. I'm using a stainless steel reversing loop and a double-sided velcro connection.

Same here,metal loop and Velcro.
I was using a diver belt buckle but on falls with some speed the wáter can get under the buckle lever and excess strap and force It open.

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2021, 02:50:16 PM »
Here's a waist harness with an assortment of add on goodies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soIxBI3xVSY

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2021, 08:44:39 PM »

Yeah, I bought the belt from Blue Planet with a reel leash. It looks good though the belt is flimsy single-layer webbing and it has a plastic loop. Certainly strong enough but thin web belts are floppy and stretch more. I'm going to double up the webbing and replace the loop with stainless before I use it, and I'll add some loops for placing the wing leash above the hook, and probably add the new NSI spreader or just their 2" hook.

I incorporate the entire assembly into my impact vest (I did a really shitty job of sewing on belt loops) which gives a lot of benefits--holds everything just where I want it, keeps the vest from riding up when I hit the water at high speed. Keeps my boardshorts up (everyone appreciates this), and the central wing leash allows me to use a short leash. I don't think I'm going to be doing behind-the-back tacks with that setup, but I can't do them anyway, so it's a bit moot.

Attaching the wing leash to the belt is a bit pointless in the Gorge, but In Maui, or anywhere with serious surf, having two leashes attached to different body parts can put you in a situation not unlike a roman slave executed by being tied to two chariots.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2021, 06:39:06 AM »
If you upgrade the buckles please let me know!! Other than the buckle, I love this set up. 😁
NSI team this great news as the attachment points hands down needed reinforcement bigtime,exception being the 1 integrated in belt!unfortunately I missed the new revised model as I am in NE Brasil now with my jury rigged minimalist harness currently have back up velcro strap threaded on plastic buckle and use 3/16 spectra loops on belt for added attachment points the V1 hook gotta say works very well with duotone harness lines thoroughly tested many hours.This good news can’t wait to get a revised V2 if you will version when back in the states,until then keep in winging with my modified V1 which seems after these improvements will be pretty close to a good as it gets for a winging harness right on NSI
Naish kites-ASD surfboards fortaleza brasil,Kalama supfoil.AXIS foils

NSIteam

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2021, 02:42:11 PM »

That is a bit more of a waist leash than a harness. The feedback we are seeing is hooking in is ok on lighter days but quickly gets uncomfortable in anything beyond light and for more than 30 mins or so. We have a similar setup that we only recommend hooking with on lighter/shorter sessions which has a neoprene cover with doubled up webbing for a little additional padding and anti-twist. https://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=533&idcategory=375

After being asked for the spreader bar as a hook only option for 2" webbing we are offering it now in case anyone was wondering.

Hey PonoBill, we do get some decent surf here, 40+mph winds over water cook up some swell. Adding to the sketchyness is the addition of debris floating in the churny water. One of our guys went out in 40-50mph winds last week. Not double overhead or anything but intense nonetheless!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2021, 08:33:19 PM »

That is a bit more of a waist leash than a harness. The feedback we are seeing is hooking in is ok on lighter days but quickly gets uncomfortable in anything beyond light and for more than 30 mins or so. We have a similar setup that we only recommend hooking with on lighter/shorter sessions which has a neoprene cover with doubled up webbing for a little additional padding and anti-twist. https://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=533&idcategory=375

After being asked for the spreader bar as a hook only option for 2" webbing we are offering it now in case anyone was wondering.

Hey PonoBill, we do get some decent surf here, 40+mph winds over water cook up some swell. Adding to the sketchyness is the addition of debris floating in the churny water. One of our guys went out in 40-50mph winds last week. Not double overhead or anything but intense nonetheless!

Umm, I probably should have mentioned I live on State St. The house on the right side if you're headed downtown that has the outrageously great looking garden--and no, that doesn't have anything to do with me, I just live there.  I can walk to your shop. I almost came by today to pick up a hook, but I was busy working on my race car trailer. My shop is the old Gino's marble cutting place on Guignard--the one with the GMC motor home with all the PV panels on the roof.

I live in Hood River half the year, and Maui the other half. I've been haunting the Gorge since the 80's, so yeah, I know.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 08:37:57 PM by PonoBill »

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2021, 11:09:26 AM »
I am going to replace my metal hook with an NSI-style Delrin hook (buy from NSI or fabricate my own if theirs wont fit my 2", I think, seat belt webbing belt). I like that the single point of attachment folds over when climbing onto board (per a friend's experience) unlike my hook whose 2 attachment points make it stick straight and firmly out (which is what a self respecting kite or windsurf hook should generally do). Also, Robert from Blue Planet said better to have the retractable leash mounted directly to webbing). Notice my safety line on plastic buckle because I lost a hook and belt when the buckle opened (I don't tie wing to this belt so it wasn't a huge loss).

I replaced my metal hook (shown) with a NSI-style hook which I routed out of 1/2" acetal plastic (Delrin ®), not shown. I believe NSI has the hook with 2" slot now (their original hook did not accommodate 2"). I love my new hook. So much better than the metal hook, primarily because it folds over when climbing on board and sticks out when riding (both of these are perfect attributes fit for purpose).
5'6 Quatro Wingdrifter Pro 105L; Cabrinha Mantis 3.1m, 4m, 5m and 6m; Axis 1000 (1150, 1020); Project Cedrus 91 cm carbon mast (68 cm fuse, 440/5000 rear); 9'6" CRUZ Surf foil SUP (152L); Chinook Thrust 92 Paddle -- fixed 78" length; 'prone' longboards on the rack, kites in the garage.

radair

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2021, 09:31:35 AM »
I recently picked up the NSI Minimalist harness. It is really nice except for the plastic buckle mentioned above. I had our local Gear Doc stitch on an aluminum climbing harness buckle and am very pleased with it. The NSI hook easily slides to the side for paddling or toe-side riding. Works great.

I'd like to figure out a better harness line. I'm using an Ozone Wasp https://ozonekites.net/proddetail.asp?prod=ozone_wasp_v2_harness_line line which is elastic, so it's a little short when not hooked in and a bit long when I am in. It also does not release that easily due to the stretch. I know some folks DIY lines with paracord and plastic tubing. Have any good recommendations?

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2021, 11:55:50 AM »
I recently picked up the NSI Minimalist harness. It is really nice except for the plastic buckle mentioned above. I had our local Gear Doc stitch on an aluminum climbing harness buckle and am very pleased with it. The NSI hook easily slides to the side for paddling or toe-side riding. Works great.

I'd like to figure out a better harness line. I'm using an Ozone Wasp https://ozonekites.net/proddetail.asp?prod=ozone_wasp_v2_harness_line line which is elastic, so it's a little short when not hooked in and a bit long when I am in. It also does not release that easily due to the stretch. I know some folks DIY lines with paracord and plastic tubing. Have any good recommendations?

I use paracord and plastic tubing.
It works but:
-If i dont use the tubing the paracord blows away an it is really hard to swing it into the hook in strong winds.
-With plastic tubing it swings into the hook.Also into my face when pumping hard ,it hurts :(
I swing it into my back hand thumb and hold it there when pumping.

I think it is 3mm or 4mm paracord.
I had tied it wide at first but now i have set it really close toghether so i dont get my hand trapped in tacks.

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2021, 06:55:43 PM »
Random note about harness line and digit safety:  I had my f-one harness’s rear attachment looped around the rear handle on my BRM.  As I went for a tack and completed the hand swap and reached for the rear handle, I slid my middle digit right into the small loop created by the spectra harness line. I lost my balance backwards for a second as I frantically shook my hand to free my finger and thankfully regained balance as I freed my finger and road away clean.  It wouldn’t have ended well going over the wing with my finger stuck!
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2021, 07:13:58 AM »
Yikes, I've had similar situations in surf or high wind. Always scary. I have enough stuff wrong with me without losing digits. I use the Duotone double adjustable harness line attached to my fake boom. It doesn't flop in my face, it's easy to hook in and release, and it won't rip off a finger. Here's a little video on my harness attached to an impact vest. The retractor is both attached to the Blue Planet belt and is riveted to my impact vest to keep it from flopping when the belt is loose. The Blue Planet belt is not as high-quality as the NSI one but I wanted a retractor, and neither had metal buckles, so I had to do modifications anyway. I swiped a stainless steel loop from a Da Kine Maniac hook, and used the Blue Planet velcro set up. It works flawlessly, though I'd warn that the extension line Blue Planet sells has end loops that are just paracord dipped in some plastic goop. Like all paracord, the loops fray internally so you can't see that they are weak. After two weeks of use I tested mine and they broke easily. I replaced the end loops with spectra. The shock-corded extension I show in the video turned out to be the perfect width to catch between the toes on my back foot--super irritating. The modified Blue Planet version is thick enough to avoid that irritating issue.

https://youtu.be/WEI9H4ivZy4

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal