Author Topic: Wing Harness (NSI)  (Read 14665 times)

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Wing Harness (NSI)
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2021, 01:22:26 PM »
too bad no loops for a board leash and wing leash.  I think the NSI system still seems like the winner because of that (I don't have one, just by looking that is)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2021, 01:41:29 PM »
Comments about harnesses for wings on facebook range from derision that anyone would be such a weak suck that they would need one to folks who seem to think they need substantial back support and a spreader bar to keep from getting their kidneys squashed. What you choose to do is up to you. I AM a weak suck at 74 with numerous shoulder operations, at least I am compared to me at 40 prior to my rollerblade hockey misadventures. I've been using a harness with a wing for about a year and a half. I'm still fiddling with mine since I don't have exactly what I want yet, but I've determined that in the strongest winds the Gorge and Maui can provide, all I need is a belt. No spreader, no big cushion, just a belt and a hook.

If all you are going to use the belt for is holding the hook, then any kind of closure is fine. I only use plastic buckles for non-vital uses. I've nearly been killed or crippled by one, so I don't trust them--at all. If you're going to attach a leash, or maybe both leashes to it, then I would never use a plastic buckle.

This morning I sewed belt loops to my impact vest so my belt can hook to it and keep the vest down and the belt up when I'm doing my usual face plants. I'll be adding a plastic NSI hook in the near future, and when I get back to Hood River and my Tuff-Sew machine that will happily sew a thick leather belt to my finger (no I haven't tried this, but it would) I plan to sew through the back loop and the vest to the belt with some ridiculously strong kevlar thread I happen to have a spool of, after which I will attach the leashes to it. I plan to get one of the retractor leashes from Blue Planet and also provide a loop for my wing leash. Given that I'd have to lose both the belt with its stainless steel reversing loop and velcro closure AND my impact vest in order to become disconnected from vital stuff, I think I'll be in good shape.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 01:43:18 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

WingSurfPeterT

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2021, 05:04:54 AM »
I put one of the NSI plastic hooks on a mystic stealth slider rope spreader by running some thin spectra loops through the rope slider holes and then  attaching a piece of webbing between the loops. I added a bit of bungy on one side to keep it tight.  Works great and twists sideways when climbing on to the board and stays straight while riding.  If I over stitch my sewing on the webbing a  bit more  I could probably use the same harness for kiting if needed as a regular slider, without using the nsi hook.

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2021, 06:42:17 AM »
This harness worked fine for me for wind foiling.  I'm going to try it next for winging.  Nice and light and no problem for climbing on the board without damaging it.

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2021, 07:43:44 AM »
Used this again yesterday in lighter wind. I’ll double down on how great it is!! Stayed hooked and ran out of water and survived the drop down!!

Now that it is more dialed I will cut and burn the extra belt length. So awesome!!

Pono- since you have committed to one wing set up, are you interested in selling the 1300? I love the 1150/460 set up I have.

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2021, 09:46:56 AM »
After logging many hours on on the NSI minimalist have to say it works very we’ll especially with duotone harness lines easy in and out hooking,for a V1 winging harness they hit the mark light and simple very functional.The stitching on the “plant on”webbing for leash attachments need to be reinforced as I’ve blown 2 of them right off with wing attachment leash they were no match for the pull of the wing in waves perhaps in flatter water conditions they would be fine.lost my wing the other day and luckily it stayed put on shore after a 200 yd paddle! The one good leash attachment is the one that is incorporated in belt webbing NSI should add another one of these for sure.So what I do now is add a loop of 3/16 spectra around belt on the other side for wing attachment with small carabiner,Also the plastic belt buckle highly recommend a backup of Velcro that threads thru buckle in case it comes undone highly recommended it’s a secondary security measure for buckle.All in all great winging harness but NSI has some easy improvements to be made for a V2 version then it would be even better
Naish kites-ASD surfboards fortaleza brasil,Kalama supfoil.AXIS foils

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2021, 11:18:02 AM »
I'm going to go talk to NSI when I get back to Hood river about version 2. I think the fixes I'd propose would not increase the cost to manufacture at all. A more trustworthy closure, a better way to attach the wing leash. That's about it. I've ordered the Blue Planet retracting leash and I'll integrate it into my impact vest/Wing Harness with an NSI hook and a non-tangling wing leash. I doubt that all my ideas have merit, but I've been playing with this stuff for a long time.

After a lot of experimenting, I've determined that the best place to attach the wing leash is right above the harness hook--the middle front. This enables the leash to be as short as possible, doesn't favor either side, falls easily to hand for pulling the wing to you after a fall, and doesn't want to wrap around your neck as a back-mounted leash does. It's not the obvious place to mount the leash, but it works amazingly well.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2021, 12:47:14 PM »
Here you can see my velcro safety backup on buckle and rear board leash 2 point velcro back up in case one breaks a secondary saves it, both these rear plant on attachment points and all for that matter need reinforcement for sure! If they address these on V2 would be great,the buckle absolutely needs a back of some sorts like I have because it’s not if,it’s when plastic buckle releases by itself!

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2021, 02:41:00 PM »
Great day and love the harness. I do like the ideas to modify it. Connected 4 jibes today!!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2021, 03:29:38 PM »
Here you can see my velcro safety backup on buckle and rear board leash 2 point velcro back up in case one breaks a secondary saves it, both these rear plant on attachment points and all for that matter need reinforcement for sure! If they address these on V2 would be great,the buckle absolutely needs a back of some sorts like I have because it’s not if,it’s when plastic buckle releases by itself!

Yes, they simply can't be trusted. I lost my weight belt in the middle of a deep dive. I was lucky to not get the bends too badly or an embolism. If I wasn't used to "blow and go" ascents it could have killed me. Never again.

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2021, 05:13:13 PM »

Yes, they simply can't be trusted. I lost my weight belt in the middle of a deep dive. I was lucky to not get the bends too badly or an embolism. If I wasn't used to "blow and go" ascents it could have killed me. Never again.
Amen Bill agree 100% especially that plastic buckle say it again absolutely needs a secondary safety mechanism integrated in buckle no doubt,hopefully you can give the guys at NSI some good advice as they are real close to a really good winging harness,bottom line they need to be beefed up for wave ocean use hands down

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2021, 06:25:12 PM »
I bought this 1.5” webbing metal buckle for $12. More challenging to find than I thought. Should eliminate the plastic buckle issue?

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2021, 04:51:57 AM »
I bought this 1.5” webbing metal buckle for $12. More challenging to find than I thought. Should eliminate the plastic buckle issue?

Be careful with this buckle. I bought that exact model from Amazon.  I rigged it up and sailed 50 feet before it popped open.  Good thing I hadn't gone far from the launch.  I use it as a solid belt now.  Looks hard core and relatively water resistant.

I am not sure if I twisted it, or if something hit the little brass clips but either way it released quickly.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2021, 05:07:53 AM »
I am sure I would like the NSI harness.  As an alternate here is my 30 year old Sherbert DaKine windsurfing harness.

Light, comfortable and modular. 

I added a DaKine Maniac Hook.  I wasn't sure what to do with the super thick webbing that the rig comes with BUT then realized it prevents the hook from rolling over on the thinner webbing on the harness.  I threaded the original webbing through the DaKine metal hoop and sent it around the back of the harness.  Added 2 orange lines for 1) Board and 2) Wing leashes.  Then I use the reversible Velcro to attach to the metal DaKine clip on the front.  Voila!  If you hunt you can find the Maniac hook with webbing for $20.

NOTE: When climbing on the board always shift the hook toward the tail of the board.  DW originally recommended a harness when LEARNING to wing because "You can focus on the foil rather than the wing."  100% true if you have a windsurf or kite background the wing takes care of itself.  And I am able to ride a 5.0 (my smallest wing) in gusts up to 38 or 40 mph.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 05:25:19 AM by Beasho »

SUPladomi

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2021, 08:40:06 AM »
Has anyone had a safety issue with having both leashes attached to a waist belt?

I believe Gunnar Biniasch posted that he did on kiteforum but was unable to find the post.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal