Author Topic: Wing Harness (NSI)  (Read 14668 times)

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Wing Harness (NSI)
« on: May 17, 2021, 05:28:53 PM »
Disclaimer- I am a total newbie to wing foiling. Can now get up strong and weak side and do strong side turns to twisted stance every now and then. I am 6’1” 185 and am on a 6 m ozone and 9 m aging with a a 5’3” HIPE. I have ZERO wind experience. In fact, I used to despise it.

My experience in winging has been awesome and I have had several shoulder and hip surgeries from my previous life sit down hydrofoilling. I went to look for a relief for my shoulders and ran across a great company out of Bend, Oregon called North Shore Inc. called and placed an order for a wing harness and hook. I also ordered a harness strap.

Hooked it up to the ozone 6 m and used it on my first flight today both strong and weak side. Even used it in the twisted stance. Went for almost 2 hours and could still drive home. This IS the answer for people with bad shoulders. If I can do it then about anyone could. NSI FTW!!

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wing Harness (NSI)
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 05:29:49 PM »
Hit a submerged island or reef. Lots of falls. So fun!

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 10:37:25 AM »
I have a few sessions with my new NSI minimal waste harness - love it. I can ride for some much longer and don't get nearly as tired. It's a cool sensation hooking-in and just leaning back and flying the wing with a few fingers on one hand. Reminds me a bit of kiteboarding. I'm riding F-One Swings.

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2021, 01:41:45 PM »
I just received mine but haven't had a chance to try it out yet.  I'm hoping that it'll work for both wind foiling and winging (I also just received an impact vest -- I always wear a helmet after a major scare 25 years ago).

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2021, 03:19:16 PM »
I use a super minimal harness using a modified kite harness hook over heavy webbing belt, would be great to ditch the stainless steel hook. My only concern with the NSI is the plastic buckle fastening the belt - if that lets go with a big pull from wing or board in the surf you lose the lot. I’ve sewn in a metal loop and pass through the fold back with a long section of Velcro, the final tail then tucking into the loop on the kite hook. Am I being overly cautious? Had a few big swims from leashes on downwind sups letting over the years, never a good feeling!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2021, 06:27:44 PM »
That's my objection as well. I don't trust plastic buckles. On the other hand, today I hooked in during a very gusty session in Kahalui harbor and got blown off the board at high speed--catapulted into the wing. I tried to unhook, but my modified (unbent a bit) kite hook didn't release and I wound up being dragged, upside down, by my hook with the wing drawing very nicely for quite a distance with the board following along like a happy puppy. I finally got a little slack in the wind--enough to get the wing unhooked.

It wasn't anything dangerous, in fact, it was kind of fun, but I'm going to get an NSI hook.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2021, 06:44:00 PM »
I am going to replace my metal hook with an NSI-style Delrin hook (buy from NSI or fabricate my own if theirs wont fit my 2", I think, seat belt webbing belt). I like that the single point of attachment folds over when climbing onto board (per a friend's experience) unlike my hook whose 2 attachment points make it stick straight and firmly out (which is what a self respecting kite or windsurf hook should generally do). Also, Robert from Blue Planet said better to have the retractable leash mounted directly to webbing). Notice my safety line on plastic buckle because I lost a hook and belt when the buckle opened (I don't tie wing to this belt so it wasn't a huge loss).
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 06:48:07 PM by liv2surf »
5'6 Quatro Wingdrifter Pro 105L; Cabrinha Mantis 3.1m, 4m, 5m and 6m; Axis 1000 (1150, 1020); Project Cedrus 91 cm carbon mast (68 cm fuse, 440/5000 rear); 9'6" CRUZ Surf foil SUP (152L); Chinook Thrust 92 Paddle -- fixed 78" length; 'prone' longboards on the rack, kites in the garage.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2021, 06:52:42 PM »
Sam I too hated the wind. Hdip and I joke about it all the time. Now I understand why kite and windsurf guys all have vans. You sort of have to get a van to get out of the damn wind before and after. lol

Love hearing that you could manage it as a beginner too.

For those who have belts and such there’s also a 3D print file floating around the net. I’ll see if I can find it but supporting NSI is a good thing to do too.

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2021, 07:22:53 PM »
Excellent points on the plastic buckles. I think it is a good reminder regarding wear and tear than breaking. That said, zero experience with this stuff. Super impressed with NSI. Also bought their sticky strap attachments.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2021, 09:08:19 PM »
ran across a great company out of Bend, Oregon called North Shore Inc. called and placed an order for a wing harness and hook. I also ordered a harness strap.

Yes it's a great company, no it's not in Bend, it's in Hood River. Walking distance from my house.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Pasquales

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2021, 10:31:04 AM »
I'm thinking of buying a harness for going upwind.  Sometimes my elbows get a little sore when the winds aren't steady, from having to slog while waiting for a gust.  I was a little concerned about a plastic hook, but appears well built.  Looks like it can easily unhook quickly.   

juandesooka

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2021, 05:06:06 PM »
Liv2surf: good idea on the safety line.  I was using a cheap luggage strap to hold my reel leash and also attached my kite leash to it too.  Had one of those hmm moments looking down and realizing how flimsy that plastic is, given how much is riding on it with both my board and wing safeties. Strongly encourage a separate mounting mount.  I am fully nerding out by wearing an old liquid force shorts harness over my wetsuit....reel leash on back, wing attached to the kite leash holder, hook ready to go.  Even has a pocket for snacks.  ;D

Pasquales: big fan of the harness option. I have bad elbows from kiting and sup'ing....the harness takes the heat off, especially for big wings.

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2021, 08:59:10 PM »
This was incredible for going upwind!! Both strong and weak side!! Even toeside once. Total game changer for me and my bad surgically repaired shoulders. Serious. I could drive home and sleep with no pain!

I didn’t unhook a few times and was launched while still attached. I didn’t pull a Pono (still chuckling picturing that fall lol) and still got it to release fairly easy.

Again, I have zero wind experience and this was my first ever harness and could attach on the first attempts. I’m on a Gong inflatable so don’t need to worry about beating up my gear... that said, the plastic buckle will not do major damage. 10/10 for my rating. It worked so well that I even went back to the NSI (Hood River) site and left a review. For real. 😁

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2021, 02:58:43 AM »
This was incredible for going upwind!!
Yes... it is, isn't it! 👍
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

FedorBOS

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2021, 08:14:48 AM »
This looks like an interesting option that might serve for both kiting and winging without the bulk of a standard harness:

https://www.akdurablesupplyco.com/product/kite/ether-harness/

iKitesurfmag did a write up:

https://www.iksurfmag.com/issue86/?page=237

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal