Author Topic: Lake Wing Sessions w/friends  (Read 1301 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Lake Wing Sessions w/friends
« on: August 08, 2021, 08:28:02 AM »
If you’d have told me 5 years ago that I’d be at an inland lake with 6 other surfers learning and new sport, hooting and beach hanging and generally having a ball I’d have said you were crazy.

7 of us (one new guy who is an insane foiler) posted up at Lake Piru outside LA yesterday and had a ball. Wind was strong out on the lake (started 10-15 but got better later with steady 15 and gusts + which is “LA good”)

A buddy brought a small boat which eliminates the walk of shame and allows towing upwind and then you can drift down trying new stuff. In a cool innovation he towed his son who’s new but one of the best foilers on the planet to me (airs, backflips, big indo waves on prone) and by towing up on foil he was able to wing immediately. He skipped the pump and struggle. He got jibes right away and even pumped through a tack. I’m going to say that if you are a good foiler and are comfortable behind a boat and learn the wing on land, you might want to try getting towed up with a wing luffed behind you. After a few tows he was able to pump up without the tow but it helped him see what we were all stoked about. Again, only for experienced foilers but an option.

Anyway the way was great and if you Wing alone a lot, try to find a crew. It’s really a blast. And if you are inland and think that this sport is only fun in the ocean that’s 100% false. This stuff is a blast and challenging on a tiny lake. Get out there!

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Lake Wing Sessions w/friends
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2021, 12:25:32 PM »
Sounds like a lot of fun out on the lake Cowboy!  5 years ago I hadn’t even heard of a foil.   Must have been fun seeing a foil expert towed behind a boat.

I agree with you lakes can be fun, I am on a Cove off a river now in the summer, and the wind swirls a bunch and hard to figure out.  Still it’s easier getting up on foil than it would be planing on a windsurfer...always fun.

I imagine  those Santa Ana winds would make for some inland wing foiling?
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Lake Wing Sessions w/friends
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2021, 08:44:10 PM »
Thx man, yeah actually we are in the Grapevine pass where the wind comes from the South in Summer and North in Winter but Santa Ana’s are fun for sure when they happen.

I’m hearing of guys riding lakes all over down here. It’s changed my head about real estate for sure.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal