Author Topic: windows on wings - to have or not to have?  (Read 3926 times)

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
windows on wings - to have or not to have?
« on: May 16, 2021, 08:56:51 PM »
What are peoples' experiences or thoughts on wings with / without windows. Some brands are offering wings with a windows option (or one might chose brands based on presence/absence of windows).
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 09:36:09 PM by liv2surf »
5'6 Quatro Wingdrifter Pro 105L; Cabrinha Mantis 3.1m, 4m, 5m and 6m; Axis 1000 (1150, 1020); Project Cedrus 91 cm carbon mast (68 cm fuse, 440/5000 rear); 9'6" CRUZ Surf foil SUP (152L); Chinook Thrust 92 Paddle -- fixed 78" length; 'prone' longboards on the rack, kites in the garage.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: windows on wings - to have or not to have?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2021, 10:09:03 PM »
I have both, F-one Strikes in 3.5, 4.2 and 5.0 and Duotone Echo in 6.0 and 7.0. I know Julie Scheyer will disagree, but I find the windows pointless. they never are where I need them. If I need to see I lift the wing.

On the negative side, the windows dictate how you fold the wing, and the long, ungainly tubes that the Echo requires to not crease the window are a pain in the ass. My F-ones stuff into a small backpack and get tossed into the van. The two echos take up five+ feet of floor space.

So no--I don't use them when I have them and they're a PITA.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Hilly

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 10:18:33 PM »
The add weight and hassle for next to zero gain just like booms  ;). Lift the wing before you gybe.

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 02:46:55 PM »
Wouldn't buy a wing without them. There is just too much going on where I wing not to have good visibility of what is coming at you from behind the wing, including shipping, yachts and other small watercraft, as well as keeping track of posts and bouys there are dotted around the place. This is more than just checking before you gybe...

Lifting the wing to look around would be such an intrusion into the pleasure of winging that it would really bug me. Why should I have to unhook, loose nearly all power, take a moment to slow down, just to check I'm still safe? With windows placed around the strut I can see whenever I want to as I hold the wing pretty vertical all the time going upwind in a harness, going full speed all the time  Downwind the wing doesn't obstruct visibility nearly as much as it's much more dynamic, so windows are less necessary.
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2021, 07:17:34 PM »
I have never ridden a wing with windows.... but often when staring at the wing canopy, I do realize I miss the perfect visibility that kiting afforded. I've gone back and forth on whether I want windows or not on my next quiver of wings for wave and swell riding. I want ultimate wave performance (lightness, drift stability and ease of throwing wing around). So, I don't want to trade too much lightness. I think improved visibility will be a positive performance factor. Lifting the wing to look when you are getting onto a wave or trying to stay lined up with the wave down the line can detract for catching and riding the wave.  When making off the top moves vs off the bottom moves by gybing the wing when foiling on the wave, seems a window could help me with timing and staying lined up. Lifting wing in this situation can be a wave looser and a stoke buster.  Less important than weight gain, I don't want to trade excellent durability for windows.  My main ocean wave spot has shore break that needs to be breached twice per session (and especially coming in there can be mayhem). Also, I hear lots of people say the windows are never where you need them, or they are in the wrong spot on this or that model or they add too much weight. I think the only way of knowing is to get some sessions with windows. I think I am going to order with windows...but this could change tomorrow.
5'6 Quatro Wingdrifter Pro 105L; Cabrinha Mantis 3.1m, 4m, 5m and 6m; Axis 1000 (1150, 1020); Project Cedrus 91 cm carbon mast (68 cm fuse, 440/5000 rear); 9'6" CRUZ Surf foil SUP (152L); Chinook Thrust 92 Paddle -- fixed 78" length; 'prone' longboards on the rack, kites in the garage.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2021, 09:48:54 PM »
About half the wings I've owned had windows, and I found them useless. But that's just me. Ken Winner and Julie Schreyer, who probably have more wing Maliko runs under their belt than anyone on the planet both swear by them. Of course, Ken designs Duotones, but he's a pragmatic designer. He wouldn't have them unless he believed he needs them.

So I guess it's a personal preference. I prefer to be overpowered. If I'm dropping into a wave the wing is either over my head or down by my side. Has to be or I'd overfoil. Perhaps when I get better at wing surfing I'll jones for a wing. as it is, I like to toss the little backpacks into the van willy-nilly. the careful rolling of the wings I see the window users doing is going to weigh against them for some time to come.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

pafoil

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2021, 10:13:39 PM »
No windows, they are useless. Why have a limited vision when you can just lift the wing and see everything around?

Wingingtanuki

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2021, 08:31:41 AM »
Never had windows. 

I can see how on long upwind/downwind cruises where there are boats they would come in handy. Once in a while I will lift the wing over my head and find something on the other side I did not expect to be there.

I don't see the point of windows in waves where your situational awareness is at max and the other things out there are other wind vehicles that move similar to yourself.

Having to worry about creases and folding the wing sounds like a PITA: I don't care about a crystal clear view through the window, just whether there is "something" on the other side or not, so I probably wouldn't be too careful with the rolling up thing.

I'd like to try a Slick, but haven't seen one in the real world yet, and even then it would probably be hard to get one of my friends to let me borrow it since I'm kind of a destroyer of gear.

Pasquales

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2021, 10:18:25 AM »
One of my requirements in a wing is pack down size.  When going on trips, there is never enough space in your luggage or even in the car with all the family stuff.  For this reason, I prefer wings sans windows. 

lieutenantglorp

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2021, 09:49:18 AM »
As someone who doesn't often have access to teamrider pricing on gear and tries to get maximum mileage out of everything I own, I was initially highly resistant to getting any wings with windows for all the disadvantages, most importantly, wing longevity and repairability.  I never had a problem winging most places without them.  I couldn't justify a need personally, but upon getting my first wings with good windows (Wasp v2),  I have greatly relaxed my opposition and found the benefit can outweigh the negatives.  I found for wave riding, and especially short period wind swell,  having direct vision of the terrain directly downwind of you with wing fully sheeted is a massive benefit to getting the most out of every peak and ultimately getting the longest rides.

Side note, can someone explain the logic of some brands putting a window in the middle panel of the wing instead of next to the strut?  The wasp v2 seems to have the most logical location of all the wings I have tried.  It is the right size, right location, and rectangular to provide the widest field of view with wing in flying position.
Infinity B-Line 8'5"
FoilSurfMachines v4 4'9" Rocket 75L
Project Cedrus 85 CM
F-One Phantom 940
Ozone Wasp v2 2.3, 3,4,5

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal