Author Topic: Fake boom and a new dipshit idea  (Read 1896 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Fake boom and a new dipshit idea
« on: May 16, 2021, 08:13:15 PM »
I've had more than a few people ask me about how to make these. It's so simple I made my latest one in less than 30 minutes, including an addition sure to cause derision. I wanted a  minimal one for winging without a harness, so I did this:

My current fake boom is above with the harness lines on it. The new one is below and here I'm adding strips of self-adhesive velcro to the sections that will attach to the handle. I leave the middle section empty. This boom will have no excess length. Previously I used the loop velcro to attach to the boom. this left a bit of excess hook velcro, so this time I used that. I thought it might be less comfortable, but it's not.

Once the Velcro is in place I wrap hockey tape over the end and throughout the middle to keep the velcro from lifting and to add grip for one-handing. I don't like boom grip. I like to keep my fingers open and hold the handles and boom with my fingertips.

Here's the dipshit part. This is a short chunk of KeNalu shaft and I have an old beat up KeNalu xtuf blade. I cleaned up the inside of the shaft and the ferrule of the blade and got a nice, tight fit.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 08:36:22 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Fake boom and a new dipshit idea
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2021, 09:45:35 PM »
I went past the allowed time to modify. I've had to prone paddle in from the middle of nowhere several times when the wind quit. I can do it, but I don't want to. I can pull off my fake boom, stuff in the blade, bind the blade to the shaft with one of the boom straps, and paddle in at my ease, humming a little tune from Iz.

The blade stays on the nose of my fabulous flying dutchman stealth wingding even in a vicious crash, as I demonstrated today in the harbor. I might add a safety strap, but it doesn't really need it.

It's a twofer.

Incidentally, this boom weighs 160 grams without straps--about 5.6 ounces. With straps, it's 188 grams. My favorite coffee cup weighs 680 grams. The boom is not much of a burden.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 10:00:39 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Fake boom and a new dipshit idea
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 06:09:26 AM »
i made mine from an old kite bar. Just cut horns off and lark'sheaded it on to the handles and boom with kite pigtails. 15 minutes. Finally got out on it and absolutely loved it. I was shocked at how good it worked first go. I could fly one handed heel and toeside. It can be taken off without tools and moved to another wing in a couple of minutes. Thanks Bill for the inspiration.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal