Author Topic: We should all be Dave Kalama...  (Read 7300 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
We should all be Dave Kalama...
« on: May 14, 2021, 08:58:24 AM »
Erik Antonson on his podcast got past the difference between a .5 shim a .6 shim to talking about the drive and passion Dave has for all elements of his life. Not having any exposure to HI, I only knew of him from the mentions of his boards here and the respect people seemed to have for them. It was a great interview. 

https://soundcloud.com/progressionproject

Robert of BluePlanet seems the master of the relaxed interview where we learn there is more to a name than their last Instawave.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: We should all be Dave Kalama...
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2021, 06:36:18 AM »
Erik Antonson on his podcast got past the difference between a .5 shim a .6 shim to talking about the drive and passion Dave has for all elements of his life. Not having any exposure to HI, I only knew of him from the mentions of his boards here and the respect people seemed to have for them. It was a great interview. 

https://soundcloud.com/progressionproject

Robert of BluePlanet seems the master of the relaxed interview where we learn there is more to a name than their last Instawave.

I spit my coffee when I read the bit about getting past 5. and .6 shim to talk about something real. I was just talking to DawSup and I was telling him that while I appreciate Erik's stuff in the beginning, he has drifted into what he thinks foiling is. Its all a bunch of shimming this and that and mast shim bla..

There was a deafening silence on the most recent James Casey podcast where Erik started in on the Shim talk and tried to get  Casey to bite.. He said something like "Well mate I've never shimmed anything and done alright...." He went on to say that if the foils and tuttle (box) were positionied right (level) to board then its fine..

The topic changed quickly.

I also started watching Roberts sessions.. Much more relaxing and nobody is tryng to be the best foiler ever.

-red

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2021, 08:41:25 AM »
I’m one of the biggest haters on the internet (working on that.) I’ve also had a couple of guys I foil with from time to time on that podcast (Bufoil and mattcoast), which I appreciate due to their heavy science knowledge.

It helps me to remember that Erik only made this (for free) to get to talk to other people about their progression, so over time it’s really going to keep moving into more and more esoteric areas. And, it’s for him, his progression, right? It’s a lot of effort and he’s not a journalist so it’s going to serve him.

He’s wrong about a lot, sometimes admits it lol. His helmet theories don’t hold water for example, in my opinion. His attitude towards winging is one of near disdain lol. Very much a “high performance shortboard” mentality but simply trapped in bad conditions which made him have to try other sports, if I had to diagnose what’s going on there. As opposed to Kalama who chose his sports actively and is shameless about what he does. IDGAF in living form. “I SUP and foil, shape my own boards, and pioneered Jaws, so what are you gonna say about it?”

But overall I have to give him a pass as he’s basically allowing us into his living room to hear him talk to people who are better foilers than him and ask questions, for free. It’s a service to the sport and I’ve learned a ton.

Same for Robert. I’m a media pro so I could criticize the technical production if I wanted to, but I really can’t as he’s producing compelling content at a regular pace and releasing it for free at a level impossible even 2 years ago. Its a monumental task and he’s doing great. It’s all welcome for sure.

That German host (forget his name) suffers some bias as do his guests. If you notice he talks from a lake and low wind point of view while his guests speak from an ocean and higher wind point of view. So he hears “you only need a 4m wing, 40L board and 1200 foil” and says that’s crazy whereas his guests can’t understand why you’d ever want bigger gear. They both sound surprised and never really mention the huge differences in conditions. This is simply the sign of a less seasoned interviewer and guest. We forget that the people we see on TV or larger digital media have years of training and experience and are heavily edited and prepared. I’ve been interviewed dozens of time across 4-5 kinds of media. It’s hard and it requires editing to make you look good lol.  There is very little spontaneity on late night TV for instance. Even the parts that look like they are unplanned were carefully crafted to go there. So Robert and Erik are both killing it if you think of it that way.

But we do need more voices and I think we do need someone to start over on the progression path in the same way. If you started when Erik did, you were on different gear. We’ve learned so much now and the gear is so much better that the “progression” looks very different today if you started. (I did.) Erik could add a new person and follow them and that would be a great feature for sure. “Progression II: Second Time’s The Charm”

Content is hard to create. Hell, if we were all smarter we’d be posting long blogs and making videos for ad revenue instead of providing these reviews and info here for free to let admin make the money. But remember, we have no deadlines or scheduled production. We don’t have to keep the server running or update the software. There is no requirement for consistency. And we don’t have to have more than a few dissenting voices judge us lol. My hat is off to these guys for putting themselves and their content out there. Can’t wait to hear the latest from anyone.

As Hdip always says, “More foil content please!” I concur so I’ll grumble quietly and then remember what I’m paying.

By the way, seriously, what shims are you guys running? Hahahahah I love the zone.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2021, 08:46:10 AM »
RE: Kalama. Yeah, one of the better humans alive. You Maui guys are lucky to get to talk and foil with him for sure. When you tell even a non-surfer about him they start to be stunned about halfway through his career story. “Wait, what?”  His one like of an Instagram comment was the highlight of both my shaping and social media careers.

The fact that he’s so nice is the icing on a very richly layered cake.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2021, 09:02:52 AM »
I haven't seen Dave at all since I got back to Maui, and feel the lack. First and foremost he's a good man. I think he's been off in Indonesia or pioneering surfing on Titan.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2021, 09:05:37 AM »
I like your theories and wish to subscribe to your blog.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2021, 09:28:17 AM »
I assume your comment is about Cowperson, but mine is https://www.ponostyle.com/ There's nothing much relevant on it and the last real post was a biscuit recipe last February, but subscribe away.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2021, 01:22:56 PM »
Yeah, it’s my favorite Hdip running joke.

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2021, 08:49:01 PM »
And cowperson is my new favorite joke. So thanks ponobill 😀

But yes I was replying to cowboy and your fingers were faster than mine. Mainly in reply to the content post as I need more content!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 08:51:44 PM by Hdip »

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2021, 12:10:28 PM »
....of course, about 20min after my post.  I felt like c'hit for not mentioning that I listen to the entire podcast, even the ones that are well over my mental paygrade. Like Rick Weeks', who seemed to nearly single-handedly carry SUP forward with his regular and varied videos* these podcasts ...even youtube by the German, Daniel Graffe, are always a welcome wealth of information.  (I had RRD kites but never knew anything about the man behind them—I like their graphics?!)  We all benefit because of these efforts.   

...and, knowing I don't have time left on the clock, to ever be able to sense the difference a shim would make makes me envious as hell of those who can feel it.   

Jim

(' sorry, I cannot remember #2 except, maybe David John in his SUP slide days) 
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2021, 01:40:52 PM »
You'd definitely feel it, the only question is whether or not you'd like the result. Add a thick shim to increase the angle of incidence and you'll have to stand on the nose to keep from flying out of the water. Add a shim to decrease the angle of incidence and you find your front foot several inches behind the footstrap.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2021, 08:19:22 AM »
I listened to the full Kalama interview yesterday while fixing a board ding.  Great stuff. 

I did key in on his commentary about board length and catching FASTER waves.  Maybe I am the only one trying to paddle into big waves but you need waterline to catch big, fast waves.  7 feet+.   He hinted at this to make a board long enough, but not wide, to catch FAST open ocean down wind waves.

The other part he mentioned was FUN.  I continue to surf foil the inside reefs around Mavericks.  50% of the sessions I am 100% alone in the water.  I went out yesterday and there was wind chop, soup 8 feet @ 10 seconds.  Thought it would be terrible.  And there I was catching 500 yard rides.  WT Heck!!!! 

No one out on a Sunday afternoon. 

It was terrible (1/2 the session below).  Dentonian!  But the foil just DOES NOT CARE!  The Fun continues to flow from the crap. 
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 08:24:06 AM by Beasho »

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2021, 09:23:03 AM »
Jeff Clark used to surf Maverick's alone all the time. Until he started telling everyone about it. :)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CO9H0n4FFYz/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2021, 05:22:36 PM »
Listened to the Kalama podcast on my to wing today. He is a legend!!

I was interviewed and on the Progression Podcast (@darthfern) this past winter. Eric was awesome!! Curious, fun, humble, and looking to help improve the sport. We did the podcast because of my unique experience in the sit down hydrofoil world and had a great talk. I thought it would last 5 minutes but it went well beyond that.

Dave Kalama speaks to how everything has been done before but maybe for a different application. Wise words. Our focus was on developing wings to go as big as possible (current record at 64 frames). However, I saw 3 years ago things that the r and d we did would and are applying to the foil industry.

I think we all just want to be a little better tomorrow than we were today. Keep charging!! ⚡️⚡️⚡️

FedorBOS

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2021, 07:31:11 AM »
RE: Kalama. Yeah, one of the better humans alive. You Maui guys are lucky to get to talk and foil with him for sure. When you tell even a non-surfer about him they start to be stunned about halfway through his career story. “Wait, what?”  His one like of an Instagram comment was the highlight of both my shaping and social media careers.

The fact that he’s so nice is the icing on a very richly layered cake.

Glad to hear I'm not alone. I have one of his boards and send an inquiry about the glassing layers to the general email and Dave himself responded. Never been awed by fame or fortune, but I was like a teen girl at a One Direction concert that day. Could not resist responding with a "thanks for what you do and I have thought you were awesome since watching the Aloha Classic on VHS in the 80s" and forwarding to the friends I have that might care.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal