Author Topic: New Gong foils - Fluid  (Read 5139 times)

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
New Gong foils - Fluid
« on: May 07, 2021, 11:47:18 AM »
https://youtu.be/_C-zGQpc3Io

Sits in between the Curve and Veloce? Or a Curve replacement? We'll soon find out!
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: New Gong foils - Fluid
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 02:25:47 PM »
Site has been updated now. Fluid sits between the Curve and Veloce, but they've also expanded their current ranges, T versions of the Veloce probably the most interesting...
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 07:09:38 PM »
Yeah, the new video of Malo is insane too. He’s surfing one and killing it.

This is interesting for sure. I was all sold on a Curve XL and now I’m throughly confused lol. Looking to keep a big wing ~90cm wide 1500-1900cm so I can get up in super light wind and cruise with stability. But now it seems like the game has changed. I know you have the XL Veloce. Is that similar in lift to the XL Curve or less low end? On bad days I love being able to pop up in almost no wind.

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 11:34:04 AM »
Yeah, the new video of Malo is insane too. He’s surfing one and killing it.

This is interesting for sure. I was all sold on a Curve XL and now I’m throughly confused lol. Looking to keep a big wing ~90cm wide 1500-1900cm so I can get up in super light wind and cruise with stability. But now it seems like the game has changed. I know you have the XL Veloce. Is that similar in lift to the XL Curve or less low end? On bad days I love being able to pop up in almost no wind.

Yes, I'm thinking about whether any of the new stuff has a place in my quiver either in addition to or to replace anything. I was curious to try something smaller than the Veloce L and the V MT is probably the front runner. The Fluid L (which is only marginally smaller) is a possibility or Fluid LS, but I don't think that is the right style of foil that I'm after.

My V XL is a nice foil, lifts and pumps nicely and is slippery, but would ideally prefer something that's a little more responsive for my weight, so might experiment with a Fluid stab before going with a different main foil.

The Curve XL will certainly have a 'better' low end than the Veloce XL, and the size of V XXL means it will going earlier still, but with negative impact on responsiveness. If I was going for a big foil now, I really don't know what in the range I'd go for, whether the presumed lower end and better responsiveness of the Fluid XXL or XXL S would be worth the slightly less efficient flying shape compared to the Veloce. Or are they so similar to all practical purposes, that it's all about the organic thing driving the show.

I wish Gong applied some sort of numerical grading just to give some relative comparison for their foils. It wouldn't be perfect, but it kinda works for their wings...
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2021, 07:51:46 PM »
Yeah they do need something other than their very similar marketing text to help us know.

For low wind I’m actually considering buying the X-Over as they sell that with an 85cm v2 mast which I also want. “A faster Rise” is basically what I want and that would also get me a large tail which I’d like to have as well since I’m going to sell my Rise set. It sounds like they’ve simply refined the Rise.

The Curve is awesome but it ships with a 95cm mast which I’m not as keen on since if it’s bumpy I want to surf. Hmmm

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 01:35:09 AM »
Having said the Fluid LS probably isn't what I'm after, that's what I ordered! Hoping it will give another layer of control when is booming and the water is a mess... That and a couple of stabs to try with my Veloces.

I'm also looking at getting a 75 or 85cm mast for lighter wind when I don't need the added length and therefore drag of the 100.
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2021, 12:55:01 PM »
Excellent! (Selfishly wanting reviews here.)

I’ll post up what I decide soon.

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2021, 04:43:59 PM »
Excellent! (Selfishly wanting reviews here.)

I’ll post up what I decide soon.
Better hurry up. By the time I figured out what might be best for me... naturally they are sold out of that one LOL.

SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2021, 06:34:51 PM »
Dude, I know. Killing me. They got the shipping sorted and now they can’t keep stuff in stock.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal