Author Topic: Question for Wingfoilers using the Infinity 84cm  (Read 5195 times)

bstein

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Question for Wingfoilers using the Infinity 84cm
« on: May 11, 2021, 11:32:40 AM »
Hi,
I am new to wingfoiling and am just starting to getting the board up on foil. I had my first flight last Friday which was more than just the up and stall I had been doing for weeks. Only flew about 10 meters, but it was magical. I want more! However, to get flying, I had to put my front foot WAY far forward, in front of the front foot strap holes (i don't use straps) in order to keep the nose. It felt awkward. I am wondering if I have my foil set up incorrectly.  I weigh 205 lb/93kg and am 6'3"/190cm tall. Here is my gear:

2021 Naish Hover Glide Carbon 125L
2019 Slingshot FSUP Hover Infinity 84cm with 24" mast connected to the fuse in the B position.
5.8 PPC wing

My question is: How many of you using this foil are using it in the A position vs the B position? Should i move it to the A position for more stable flight? I have the foil connected to the board in the middle of the track. When I had it back further, I had a hard time getting up off the water because I had to have my back foot back so far I was snowplowing.

Any feedback and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Brook

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Question for Wingfoilers using the Infinity 84cm
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 12:59:32 PM »
A is used most often for surfing. B and C are used most by windsurfers with heavy rigs on the nose. Some windsurfers drill holes in the fuse to get a position between A and B.

Try A forward in the tracks and B all the way back in the tracks. Hopefully one of those works, so you don’t have to drill an extra hole in the fuse.

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 04:45:26 PM »
I would leave the foil in B position and move the mast back by a slight amount (one centimetre at a time).  You could also try and get more speed out of the board before you shift your weight slightly back to get the foil to lift -- as you pull the wing back towards you (pump) push against this force with your front foot to move the board forward to get some speed, which should give you lift without having to shift your weight back very much.  The board should lift almost by itself.  With the foil in the right spot your weight should be close to equal on each leg and you will only have to shift it forward to control lift in gusts or back a bit to keep height during lulls.

Here's a great tip from Alan Cadiz about how to get some speed before you attempt to lift off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1GtdrAfd2A
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 04:58:53 PM by deja vu »

Supfool

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 12:19:28 AM »
I use C but I also windfoil the same board when  it's too light to wingfoil.  I ride strapless so foot placement isn't critical.  If I was just winging I would use B by default.  I have setup A and found I had some front wing wobble on the fuse.

oakfish

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2021, 12:16:07 PM »
I have almost the exact same setup, except my Naish board is only 110L.
I have to keep my mast all the way back in the box. Even then, my front foot is often far forward of the foot straps. Like you, I often have to keep scooting my front foot forward to keep the nose down while flying. I think this is because my back foot is too far back. If I can remember to scoot by back foot forward an inch or 2, I don't get so much lift and I don't need to scoot my front foot forward.
Also, and most importantly, I think the foot straps on the Naish ARE NOT placed well for the Infinity foils. I highly suggest you ignore the foot strap holes, except as a reference point. They have nothing to do with foot placement when riding an Infinity foil.
Quick tip though. I did use the rear foot strap hole. I cut a ~1.5 inch piece of 1" webbing, folded in half (hamburger style) and screwed it into the rearmost foot strap hole. It makes an excellent reference point for my back foot that I can feel without looking.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2021, 01:40:17 PM »
Hi,

It's been a while since I have ridden slingshot, the A B C confuses me, in this video I am riding in c position (infinity 84 & 76) in the first half and then switch to b position in the second half.  Looking closely can see my feet have moved (relative to the mast) which are lined up with the position of the main foil wing underneath:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynoOfU1up9Q&t=16s

I go into detail in this video series:
https://clayisland.com/foot-placement-mast-placement-where-and-why/
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 01:42:09 PM by clay »
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

Pasquales

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2021, 10:59:08 AM »
I'm about your weight, and have used a buddies Infinity 76 cm. 

It was really stable and I remember the lift being slower relative other foils.  We weigh about the same, it was set at position B all the way forward on a 4'6" prone board.

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2021, 12:31:10 PM »
Slingshot recommends using position C on the fuse. You need to compensate for where the center of lift is on the Infinity which is near the center. (the wing is fairly wide front to back).

A good test is to lift the board with your fingers at the center of lift of any foil. The board should be level with the ground.

https://www.foilfeed.net/forums/topic/foil-placement/

oakfish

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2021, 04:07:57 PM »
Not to hijack this thread, but the "A, B, C" position discussion has thrown me for a loop. I assumed OP was talking about position in the track on the board.
On my Infinity FSUP, the fuselage only has one place to attach the mast. Am I missing something? Maybe I have the mast attached to the fuselage wrong and THAT'S why I suck.
This is what I have (and assumed you have too): https://slingshotsports.com/collections/complete-foils-wing-surf/products/hover-glide-fsup-v3
There's only one place to attach the mast, right?

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2021, 07:48:42 PM »
Not to hijack this thread, but the "A, B, C" position discussion has thrown me for a loop. I assumed OP was talking about position in the track on the board.
On my Infinity FSUP, the fuselage only has one place to attach the mast. Am I missing something? Maybe I have the mast attached to the fuselage wrong and THAT'S why I suck.
This is what I have (and assumed you have too): https://slingshotsports.com/collections/complete-foils-wing-surf/products/hover-glide-fsup-v3
There's only one place to attach the mast, right?

Here's Wyatt Miller (Slingshot brand manager) explaining the A, Bs and Cs.  C position on the fuse can be used for wind foil boards with Tuttle box and the largest wings.  With a mast track use position B for the i84 and i99 and just move the foil a little further forward in the track, if necessary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXA2vC2o91g
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 07:56:32 PM by deja vu »

oakfish

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2021, 04:26:26 AM »
Deja vu...thanks for the video. I did find that in my frantic search last night.
However, my fuselage does not have the extra holes of the "A,B, C" labels.
I wonder if I have the wrong fuselage. Looking at the picture of the FSUP in the link above, the fuselage looks too short for extra mast holes.
Maybe some of you are using the FSURF? That fuselage looks longer.

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2021, 07:12:33 AM »
Deja vu...thanks for the video. I did find that in my frantic search last night.
However, my fuselage does not have the extra holes of the "A,B, C" labels.
I wonder if I have the wrong fuselage. Looking at the picture of the FSUP in the link above, the fuselage looks too short for extra mast holes.
Maybe some of you are using the FSURF? That fuselage looks longer.

You are probably right.  The fuselage Wyatt is discussing is the longer one that's used for wind foiling and many, including myself, are also using it for wing foiling.

I've found that there are two ways to get the board up on foil -- (1) pump it up on foil using the wing and the board.  There's a big probability that the board will stall so you'll have to shift your weight forward and pump the board hard with the wind wing to literally pull the board over the hump so the board levels out, gains speed and away you go.  (2) pump the board using the wind wing and at the same time push the board forward against the pump with your front foot to gain enough speed for the foil's wing to get the board to lift (using the power of a small wave will help).

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2021, 10:48:14 AM »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal