Author Topic: Talk to me about Fin Boxes  (Read 1845 times)

LoudounSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Talk to me about Fin Boxes
« on: May 11, 2021, 07:03:12 AM »
I want to install a new fin on my 2020 NSP Ninja. The fin included with the board is a FCS compatible fin. Does this mean all the "futures" fins won't work with my board?
SUP in Nordic Virginia
2018 SIC X 14'0 TWC
2019 SIC RS Air Glide 14x28

justsomeguy

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Talk to me about Fin Boxes
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 07:55:00 AM »
I use a Futures Runner fin in my NSP Carolina ... believe pretty much any plate & screw mount fin would work. Would also expect FCS II fins would work too.
Fanatic Allwave LTD 9'4"x33"x173L
NSP Carolina 14'x25.75"x299L
+ a few prone surfboards nobody here cares about :)

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 08:02:39 AM »
I found this website helpful for explaining the differences in fins and fin boxes:
https://blackprojectsup.com/sup-fins/sup-race-fins/how_to_choose_the_righ_sup_race_fin/which-sup-fin-base-option-do-i-need-for-my-board/
My Starboard uses fcs side bites and a US fin box.  Some fins don't fit that board, fins that have a wide base near the bottom deck of the board.  But you could shave the fin to fit the box.  Then you have the other problem with 9mm longboard surf fins (i.e Futures) being sloppy in a 9.2 mm US fin box.  But you could shim the fin to fit the box.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 08:08:38 AM by sflinux »
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 09:37:13 AM »
It's hard to say. The few center fins that FCS make look like a US fin box, but all the ones I've seen are snap-in fins--no screw plate. Both FCS and Futures have raised the stakes in the stupid incompatible fins game with their totally incompatible side bites format, I don't imagine they've changed their ways to make a few center fins. You'll simply have to try them. You could measure the width of your current fin--the longboard fin is .354" and US fins are .362", but fin makers rarely seem to state what base they are making, so you'd need to take digital calipers with you to buy fins. Pin location is the killer. You can shave or shim a base to fit, but depending on how deep the base is (lots of fins vary in this dimension) the pin location might not let the fin pivot into place. Yes, you can drill a new pin hole and relocate it, but that sucks.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 09:42:43 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal