Author Topic: Recommended Wing Size  (Read 7901 times)

bluemarlin04

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Recommended Wing Size
« on: May 10, 2021, 07:17:05 PM »
Just learning to Wing Foil. 

I have researched and researched and am still trying to learn but cannot seem to figure out this part.

If I am using a larger foil wing does that mean I can use a smaller wing?

Example- I have a naish 2450 Foil.  Can I use a 4 Meter Wing instead of a 5?

What wing size should I be using? I am 6'3 and around 250 pounds. 

I tried out a Naish 7m once but the thing was so big and huge it was kind of difficult to hold.

Thanks for any help.

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Recommended Wing Size
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 07:35:35 PM »
Depends on the wind. But you are a big guy so for you is 6 or 5. If your wind is closer to 20 mph then 5 is ok. Forget about naish wings they have no low end. Get f-one or duotone.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 08:04:16 PM »
This is a tough one.

I’m 140lbs and learned on a 2100cm foil and a 5m wing. I couldn’t get up in under 15 mph for a few months. Now I can get up in 10-12 on the same rig.

But I don’t think I could have learned to do that on any smaller sized gear. This is an issue with the sport. You sort of have to go through the gear and process. We have a local shop that’s opening that is trying to work out some sort of buy back program to get you through the first year til you settle into your gear. (Shorter if you can get in the water more often.)

In good news, you can always use your larger hand wing as you get better in light conditions.  Just be careful about buying a giant hand wing (7-9m) thinking you’ll use it all the time.

I’d like to hear other people’s ideas on this but I’d think you’d need a ton of wind (20mph+) to learn at your size with a 4m wing. I’d make it easy on yourself.

bluemarlin04

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 08:21:27 PM »
Thanks for the tips surfcowboy and gone_foiling.

I think I will try to use a 6. 

I live on Eastern Oahu so no shortage of wind.

Just want to make sure I can learn it.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 10:21:26 PM »
I don't know about wind on Oahu, but on Maui lately, my 3.5 has been getting lots of use. I was about 250 when I started and there simply weren't any big wing available. My first wing was a 3M duotone and I needed something like 30mph to get going. And I needed a huge foil wing--a GoFoil 280. I finally got a 4M wing and was able to frequently use an M200 foil wing.

There is a dividing point with wing foiling when you can get up and foil fairly easily, and now you want to learn to jibe and tack. Somewhere in there, you start going faster. At that point literally, all the gear you have will suddenly become a hindrance and you'll have to ditch it all and upgrade everything.

My point is simply this. Get the gear that will get you going. Don't worry at all about it being the right stuff for the long run--it won't be. Big floaty board, big slow foil, big wing. Like 7' X 32" board (or bigger), Gofoil M280 or M200, and a 5 or 6 M wing. You should be able to find most of that used. Or go talk to Robert Stehlick at Blue Planet and ask for help getting you going. He'll steer you right. Maybe talk to Sam Pae--super good guy and he's great at showing people the basics. Robert can put you in touch with him.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 11:07:08 PM »
I think most beginners face this Catch 22.

Board & Wing & Foil size that get you up on foil without pumping abilities will be a bit too much power & lift once you are flying.

But everything starts with getting up on foil so unless you can rent big gear at a reasonable price you have to go through the buy and sell circus.

WingNut Ohana

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2021, 12:32:56 AM »
5m for bigger guys. The light bulb went on for me when I switched from a 4m to a 5m. Being “over-winged” in the beginning is a good thing. Foil time is what is important. You won’t learn much if you can’t get on foil.

When you get better you can always buy a smaller wing. You just have to accept that this is a fast evolving sport and moving on from gear is part of the experience. In the 9 months of doing this, between the wife and I, We’ve bought and sold around 7 wings, 2 foils and 2 boards.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2021, 05:33:03 AM »
The big Naish 2450 is the perfect foil for a big guy like you to learn with and wing size will depend on wind strength.. I’d say a 5-6m wing should work well in light winds and once the wind hits 20 knots a 4-4.5m will work for you..
btw the new Naish S26 wings have plenty of low end grunt..

I’m 6’3” and about 220 lbs and I’ve been using the new Naish S26 6.8m wing on light days.. This vid was from a few days ago.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 05:44:48 AM by DavidJohn »

bluemarlin04

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2021, 02:57:13 PM »
Thanks Ponobill and everyone else for the replies.

Sorry I should mention.  I am a very proficient foiler. 

I can surf it.  Link turns.  Pump. Etc.

I actually learned on the back of the boat and then moved up and progressed.

Now I just want to learn how to put the wing into the equation...

bstein

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2021, 04:11:29 PM »
The big Naish 2450 is the perfect foil for a big guy like you to learn with and wing size will depend on wind strength.. I’d say a 5-6m wing should work well in light winds and once the wind hits 20 knots a 4-4.5m will work for you..

I’m 6’3” and about 220 lbs and I’ve been using the new Naish S26 6.8m wing on light days.. This vid was from a few days ago.

Hey DavidJohn - great video. I have the same board and am about the same weight and height. What size foil did ride?

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2021, 05:50:28 PM »
I'm pretty much your size. You need a 6m hands down. And a good stiff one. Like a Duotone Unit, Ensis, or Cabrinha Mantis. A stiff wing is mandatory for a guy your size.

bluemarlin04

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2021, 06:32:28 PM »
I'm pretty much your size. You need a 6m hands down. And a good stiff one. Like a Duotone Unit, Ensis, or Cabrinha Mantis. A stiff wing is mandatory for a guy your size.

Thanks.

Will check those out.

Which one do you recommend?

bluemarlin04

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2021, 07:15:40 PM »
Yes, that is a stiff wing and would be good for sure. Didn't mention the Duo Echo earlier because I assumed you would be out carving up big beautiful waves but that is a good wing and a good deal.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2021, 01:10:45 AM »

Hey DavidJohn - great video. I have the same board and am about the same weight and height. What size foil did ride?

Thanks.. I’m using the Naish S25 HA1800.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal