Author Topic: Assorted SUP Fins  (Read 3430 times)

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Assorted SUP Fins
« on: May 10, 2021, 08:58:44 AM »
I am looking to sell the following fins.  All are in good shape.  (Willing to mail to you in the US only.)  Prices are negotiable - Half off list or less.  Make me an offer.  Willing to sell individually, or as a group.   Please send me a PM if interested.   

Larry Allsion Ninja

Naish - Dagger fin 9-10 inches I think.  (Came with my V2 Glide.) 

Futures - JB Runner 58.9

VMG - Time Trial - Full Carbon (floats!!)

I am looking for an SIC 7.0 Weedless Carbon fin - Willing to buy or trade for it.     

2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Assorted SUP Fins
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 11:14:02 AM »
I'm assuming that's for your new RS? Why would you give the VMG for the SIC weedless? Which fin did your RS came with?
in progress...

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 01:58:49 PM »
Burchas,
Yes, for the RS, which came with the 8.3 Carbon Weedless fin.   Thinking the SIC 7.0 would be shallower and with less drag than the stock 8.3 or the VMG.  Thoughts???? 
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 04:23:30 PM »
If memory serves, you were aiming for flat water speed. If that's the case the VMG is a better design for that IMO.
Larger base and faster release with most of the extra surface area is where you need it would be better for that purpose,
especially if you're higher torque rather than fast cadence.
in progress...

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 07:08:17 AM »
Burchas,
I will take your advice and give the VMG a try.   If that works well, then I guess I won't need to buy another fin.  The SIC 8.3 is a bit deeper than I usually run and seems like I remember Larry Allison saying that depth of the fin is what creates drag.  The deeper the fin the more drag.  The VMG Mako Time Trial is about 7.4 inches deep and is purpose built for speed, so we will see.  You mentioned the "faster release" and maybe that's another big part of the fin picture that I was missing in thinking about the SIC 7.0.     

I have yet to see a really glassy day, where I could pop on the Speed Coach on the RS and find the speed through proper trim adjustment/foot placement.  However, I have seen some very good average speeds (for me) and crazy max speed with this board.  Testing needed to dial it in.  I find that sometimes a board can fool me into thinking I am doing really well, when I am actually not, when measured.  I am also hoping that finding a "best" fin and improving my trim will help me to take it up another notch!

2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2021, 02:03:13 PM »
So, the VMG Time Trial fit in the fin box with some sanding.  The base is soooo long that I have essentially no fore and aft fin placement adjustment.  Hope it works well.  We will see!
 8)

2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2021, 03:20:04 PM »
That's a good thing. No setups to worry about. Fassst anyway you slice it, just put-in a go.
in progress...

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2021, 05:39:27 AM »
Yeah, we will see!  I am out of town this weekend.  Hope to test next week and report back.   8)
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2021, 02:50:24 PM »
For what it is worth, I have an earlier version of the Time Trial with the longer base. I took it out yesterday on a flat day and here are my impressions. My 20/21 SIC RS 14 x 24.5 had the factory 8.3 Weedless Carbon fin. I have tried the Time Trial on other boards and was not a huge fan. Same deal here. I know a lot of people like the fin, but i don't. First, the fin has zero adjustment, due to the length of the base versus the box length. So, you get what you get. To me the fin felt a bit draggy and made the board feel nose dominant, which had me stepping back a bit and wondering where I should be on the board. On the positive side, the wider base did seem to slow or reduce the side to side roll. Tracking was not as good as the SIC fin, which tracks really well. As far as speed, I had my Speed Coach and Paddle Logger in use. This was the first truly flat day that I have had and the first time using the Speed coach on this board. So, I was searching around a bit for foot placement to find the sweet spot. My impression was that the board was not any faster and possibly slower with the Time trial fin. It was especially noticeable upwind. It did seem to turn much, much easier and not be as locked in to one direction. So, the question I asked myself, as I put the board back in the rack, is will I remove it, or leave it for the next run? For me, I was planning on taking it out to put the stock fin back in.  Two are at the top of my list, the SIC 7.0 and the Larry Allison Stinger.  Well, I had a 6 inch tall (7 inch) base Larry Allision Stinger that I used on my 14 x 27 Infinity Blackfish. I sprint tested numerous fins on that board over multiple trials and found that one was the best. I was hesitating on using this fin because, in stock form, it is too wide for the SIC fin box and it had the click in style buttons. I did not think it would sand very well around the buttons and I did not want to damage my fin box on my brand new board. However, after testing the Time Trial fin, I was more motivated today. I went ahead and sanded the Stinger fin down and got it to fit. It is still tight around the buttons, but I figure it will be OK if I am careful. I am excited to test this fin. It should be the fast ticket!! Will report back. 
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2021, 04:33:34 PM »
Larry's fins are my favorites and the 6" Stinger was the ticket on my SIC (with the twins though). It was worth the try though, before you go and spend more money.
The SIC weedless by the way is a "borrowed" Larry design, so no wonder why so many like it. Never worked for me on flat water though.
in progress...

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2021, 05:17:51 AM »
Week, I tried the 6 inch Stinger yesterday. Conditions were pretty flat with about a 9mph cross breeze. I took a few strokes and Shazam!!  I knew immediately that this was the right fin!!  The board woke up!!  No more nose dominance, easy to find sweet spot, much less resistance an surprisingly, less rolly than the stock fin. Ran it out pretty hard for timed mile and got my best time yet easily. I am sure that this will be my go to fin for flat conditions. Not sure how it will work with more wind, but I think there is a good chance it would work well then as well. I had the fin about mid box. There is plenty of room to play with adjustment. Tracking was good as it was. Easy to turn and less locked in than the stock fin. Top speed was excellent on a sprint. Excellent glide. Balanced feel and properly responsive when trimming and foot steers well. For me, think fin is a great match for this board!’ 
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2021, 09:07:40 AM »
Sorry for the typos. Fat fingers.
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2021, 10:49:51 AM »
Yay! So now back to the classified ;D
in progress...

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2021, 06:50:32 AM »
The Ninja fin has been sold for half of retail price.  I split the shipping with the buyer.

The following fins are still available for a similar deal. 

Naish - Dagger fin 9-10 inches I think.  (Came with my V2 Glide.)

Futures - JB Runner 58.9

VMG - Time Trial - Full Carbon (floats!!)

I am looking for an SIC 7.0 Weedless Carbon fin - Willing to buy or trade for it.   

2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal