Author Topic: $20 to a longer wing session - training tip  (Read 2709 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
$20 to a longer wing session - training tip
« on: May 03, 2021, 06:18:25 PM »
Ok, so I bought resistance bands with an over-the-door anchor to get my paddling muscles back in shape. It works by the way. The move I use is to stand about 6 feet from the door, bend at the waist (with a straight back!) and do row/pulldowns from hands stretched overhead to down past my hips. Basically as close as you can get to knee paddling on land.

But, in addition to this I started turning my front wing hand over (palm up) and doing wing pumps with the band pulling against me. I then switch sides with the other hand going palm up. I vary the weight and the reps in a set but this works your shoulders in that weirdly painful way that only a beginning winger can relate to.

Does it work? I have little science. But I normally am dead after 2 hours and I've easily done 3 hour sessions (split into 2 90 min sessions) comfortably since starting this. Try it and prove me wrong. But for those of us who are weekend warriors dry land training keeps you in the game.

Here's a link to the uber cheap set I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DRDYNQM?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Let me know if you do anything similar.

RobM

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: $20 to a longer wing session - training tip
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 08:40:34 AM »
I've been doing a quick and easy dumb bell routine using 12 lb dumbbells  (use whatever you're comfortable with, I'm not out to get jacked, like SurfCowboy, just trying to maintain shape/duration for winging 3+ hr sessions). Takes about 5 minutes

10 reps of Bicep Curls
10 reps of Military Dumbbell Press
repeat this 5 times;  do daily or every other day
Me: 5'10" (178cm), 185lb (84kg)
Wings: Duotone Unit 5.5m,4.0m; Naish S25 5.3m,3.6m
Board: Fanatic 5'0 Sky Wing (75lt); BluePlanet foil sup 6'6" (116lt)
Foils: Axis 1150,1000;370 tail/short fuse; Neil Pryde Glide Surf L-1484cm2;
Mast: Axis 90, 68cm; NP Flight 82cm,NP Glide 60cm

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 08:16:33 PM »
Amazing response lol. I’m literally laughing like an idiot with my wife looking on puzzled.

wingsup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 10:03:58 AM »
I've been adding rotator cuff exercises to the routine especially external rotation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmKR9DKcMTQ&t=188s

and doing scapular and thoracic spine mobility:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FYlFxKVgwc

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2021, 08:12:29 AM »
Just get a fricking harness. I love my Ozone Connect. Riding hooked in with one hand on rear handle opens up the body for more natural carving.  I outlast everyone at my beach. HA foils also reduce drag which makes it much easier to hold the wing. I mean, keep working out too but you don't have to.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2021, 08:06:23 PM »
Haha, yes, I can see how that helps. But I’m starting to prone surf too so I’ve got way more to worry about than some sore shoulders, my lats are screaming.

Went out today and felt better and paddled stronger. Might have been mental, but I’ll take it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal