Author Topic: F-One CWC - Compact Wing Concept  (Read 4213 times)

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
F-One CWC - Compact Wing Concept
« on: May 04, 2021, 12:05:35 PM »
F-One just released some information on their new "Compact Wing Concept" utilizing a 3 strut design for their upcoming 6M, 7M, & 8M Strike's. What do you guys make of this? The design looks like it addresses one of the Swing's main issues of the tall wingspan that leads to tips catching while riding.

https://www.f-one.world/news/wing-surf/cwc-compact-wing-concept/

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: F-One CWC - Compact Wing Concept
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 04:49:14 PM »
Never had a problem with tips catching on my 6 and I am 5'6. Let alone 5 or 4.2  ???
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 06:08:36 PM »
More struts more $.
I rode the new swing V2 5 meter and I liked it more than the strike. Better low end, easier to get onto foil. Really nice lofty jumps. Could feel a little glide like a kite when jumping. Didn't roll over onto its back after every crash like the strike.

Alysum

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 07:11:44 PM »
Fone are really innovating in the wing space. Just look at the panels stitching of the Strike plus how performant it is.

The Strike 5m indeed has a massive span so it makes sense to use additional struts to have a stiffer structure. I have caught the wing tips in the water despite being 6"1.
Additional struts will allow for a thinner leading edge which is the worst for drag. Just look at the Duotone wings in 5+m they are massive and draggy (which creates a lot of back wind).
The question is whether 3 smaller struts will still be lighter than just 1 strut and a massive LE. Time will tell.

Unfortunately Fone products comes with a premium price tag.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 08:06:09 PM »
I've had a 6M strike on order for some time. I wonder what I will eventually receive.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 10:29:26 PM »
We were out yesterday in low quality wind, went from 5 or less to about 20+ and shifty and only a narrow stream.

On the swing 6m I was catching the tips often trying to stay standing, let alone on foil. 

The other time I catch the tips often is when it's very light and I'm trying to muster every ounce of grunt I can.

So I am stoked to see 6, 7, 8 in a narrower span.  I can think of at least 2 surf spots that have funky wind and I would love to have a compact light weight 7/8m.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 12:47:20 AM »
Additional struts will allow for a thinner leading edge...

Hi Alysum - can you expand on that point? I can't get my head around how that works. Stiffening and powering up the canopy by introducing struts/battens would mean more load on the front strut wouldn't it, so needing it stiffer?
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal