Author Topic: Surf Rig - How do you hide your keys?  (Read 12087 times)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: Surf Rig - How do you hide your keys?
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2021, 09:30:17 AM »
Back to summer camp with you Badger, didn't you learn to braid keychains at Camp Wapanogagog? A simple string for a guy from New Hampshire?

I put my church camp skills to excellent use, both for my key and for a lanyard for my switchblade. Perhaps that wasn't the use Mrs. Noonan had in mind, but...

Hdip--hey that worked for my dodge van as well. Someone had actually shown me the method, but I didn't realize there was a time element involved. the Instructable worked.

I remember learning how to braid at Bear Hill Pond 4H camp in NH in the mid-'60s. Unfortunately, the knowledge didn't stay with me. I can still splice an anchor line or dock line if I need to. In the case of string though, it's easier to just tie a knot. Mostly I'm just lazy. I envy your ability to keep busy.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 09:52:12 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2021, 02:01:17 PM »
I'm a constant flurry of pointless projects.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2021, 04:22:21 PM »
I put two of my keys (ignition, camper) in the magnetic key hider and attach it to the underside of my truck where it can't be seen even if you look up at the underside of my truck. Hasn't failed me yet and I've been doing it this way since 1994.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Nite-Ize-Black-Key-Hider/1000518889

I tried that back when I started surfing and found it to be a hassle to get down on the ground to retrieve the key and risk being seen doing it every time I needed to change gear, take a break, get some water, etc.

That's my point. Thieves don't like to get sand on their clothes because I park on the beach sand. Or something a lot worse . Like hiding the key hider behind the oil filter.

One thing I know about keys around the neck while surfing. If the key is not wiped down real good, the key will transfer a tiny amount of saltwater into the ignition switch and if it does, rust (corrosion) will occur inside the ignition switch.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2021, 04:50:01 PM »
One thing I know about keys around the neck while surfing. If the key is not wiped down real good, the key will transfer a tiny amount of saltwater into the ignition switch and if it does, rust (corrosion) will occur inside the ignition switch.

Interesting.  We have a VW Eurovan.  It has a single key that WILL run the ignition that I wear around my neck.

It's not a full key FOB.  So I keep the key FOB in the car and just use the key around my neck to open and close the doors.  I wouldn't want to rust out the door locks BUT

1) There are MORE locks, around the car, and
2) I usually ride my bicycle and use a combination lock

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2021, 03:48:21 AM »
That's my point. Thieves don't like to get sand on their clothes because I park on the beach sand. Or something a lot worse . Like hiding the key hider behind the oil filter.

My surf key only opens the doors. I doubt enough salt enters the locks to cause a problem. I don't like getting down on the ground to get my key because I hate getting dirty sand on my wet hands or in my gloves when taking breaks. I also avoid getting sand on my wetsuit when leaving the beach because I wear my suit home and don't want that sand in the car or on my towels. I guess each person has his or her specific needs relating to their situation, but my way is easier.   :)

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2021, 05:38:25 AM »
I don't like getting down on the ground to get my key because I hate getting dirty sand on my wet hands or in my gloves when taking breaks. I also avoid getting sand on my wetsuit when leaving the beach because I wear my suit home and don't want that sand in the car or on my towels. I guess each person has his or her specific needs relating to their situation, but my way is easier.   :)

1) I don't wear a wet suit. When the water warms to 66 F; that is my minimum water comfort zone so it's bathing shorts, T-Shirt, water shoes and a hat for me. After a surfing session when I'm all wet and I want to go back home; I do get sand on me when I crawl underneath the truck to retrieve my key hider, but once I open the door to my truck, I go back into the beach surf where it is about 3' deep, dunk myself under the water, pop myself above the water and no more sand on me. Then I just walk back to my truck. The driver seat has a cover on it so the seat doesn't get wet.

2) Since I had "three" urinary tract procedures done (in the OR under anesthesia) in a 19 day span of time from Dec 22nd to Jan 11th, I'm down to 138 pounds. My truck tires have about 50 lbs PSI in them so this allows me to drive on loose sand and not sink the tires into the sand where my truck would get stuck in the sand. If I weighed about 175 lbs, I wouldn't be able to work the top half of my body underneath my truck because there is not enough space from the sand to the lower body panels of my truck for me to crawl underneath my truck. I would need to dig a small trench so I could fit underneath my truck to retrieve the key hider.

So in retrospect. A thief is not going to want to get the back of his body, from heat to toe, covered in sand and/or get covered in smudgy motor oil. And lastly, if the thief weighs 175 lbs or more and the thief doesn't know where the key hider is, the thief is going to have to dig a small trench to remove a lot of sand "from the back of the front wheel to the beginning of the rear back wheel" so the thief can actually crawl underneath my truck "for a look see" and if the thief did, the thief won't be able to see the key hider.

I'm guessing the time for what I do takes me 5 minutes longer than what it takes you to do with the key around your neck. But I'm not in any hurry.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2021, 03:41:53 AM »
Stock 2020 Toyota tacoma key

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2021, 08:25:18 PM »
Badger, the difference in the dismantled key is the electronic chip that remains.

I’ve got valet keys but some cars want to see that chip. This was the missing part for the hybrid electronic key guys.

I still say bag in your wetsuit. I wear chest zip and can pack a lunch on my chest.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2021, 08:26:32 PM »
And I lick my key before every unlock. No lie.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2021, 08:59:21 PM »
Same here SC - it does help that I have a major salt addiction.   I have not had any corrosion issues in my door locks since I started doing that.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2021, 10:52:44 PM »
Yup, just like a little popsicle, quick in and out. 

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2021, 02:04:06 AM »
Many new cars have proximity sensors for each door/hatch, not just the whole car. For instance, on my 2015 Lexus, I can have the key in my pocket, standing next to the drivers door, and the wife can't open the door on the other side of the car by grabbing the handle (touch sensor). The only door the key will work for is the one the key is near. On my Toyota Aqua (Prius C), the key can be hidden anywhere under the front of the car, and the doors won't open on touch. Ditto the Lexus.

You just have to find a spot to try, like under the bumper somewhere, and then see if the door unlocks.

Toyota fobs are waterproof, but I still don't take them in the water  :)   

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2021, 06:03:14 AM »
I also lick the skeleton key i take into the water :)
I killed one of my FOBs just by grabbing it after opening the car,all it takes is one little drop of salt water to kill the electronics.
The surviving one i have waterproofed with sealant.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2021, 08:02:37 AM »
Most if not all car security systems lack one majorly important function, which is the ability to turn them off.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2021, 09:43:50 AM »
Actually, most systems have a way, but it includes bowing to Michigan three times while chanting "I swear I'm not stealing this car."

The process that works for turning off the alarm system in my mommy van is:

1. Close slider doors, check that they are manually locked. Actually only the port one needs to be manually locked (or it will remain openable) but I rarely remember which one it is so I lock starboard too.

B. Put fob somewhere in the car where it can be quickly reached to turn off the alarm system if the chanting doesn't work.

iii. Make sure the cord with the bare key is around my neck (IMPORTANT).

4. Close all doors except the driver's door.

V. Make DOUBLY sure the cord with the bare key is around my neck.

6. Lock all doors with electric pushbutton

g. Close drivers door. Then quickly unlock it, open it, and relock with key.

Presto. Works almost every time. The system takes a little time to arm, and unlocking and OPENING the door within that time disarms it.

Half the time I just say "fuck it, the alarm may sound, the alarm is loud". I have the Nest smoke detector babble planted in my head. Its actual name is "The Nest Bill is Cooking and Forgot to Turn on the Hood Fan Again" detector.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 09:45:49 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal