Author Topic: Surf Rig - How do you hide your keys?  (Read 12099 times)

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Surf Rig - How do you hide your keys?
« on: May 01, 2021, 09:33:37 AM »
Team Standup Zone,
I recently upgraded my surf rig from 98 expedition to a 2016 suburban. The 98 was easy to hide a key in a little hide box under the body.

This new rig 2016 suburban has a fancy key that you just keep in your pocket. I believe if it is near the rig you can push a little button on the door handles to unlock the truck. Anyway my just hiding the key under the rig or close to it doesn't help me much because someone could just come push the door handle unlock button.

There is a little key that comes out of the Key fob.
https://www.carandtruckremotes.com/2016-suburban-new-keyless-smart-remote.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-6fn_fOo8AIVYh-tBh3rawJIEAQYAiABEgLPz_D_BwE

Anyone come across this predicament?

Thanks in advance.
-red

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Surf Rig - How do you hide your keys?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 10:57:48 AM »
Generally, manufacturers have come up with a workaround, which is why the little key comes out of the remote unit. I wear the little pull-out key around my neck on a cord I wove out of kite line. Those urban (Boston) "summer camp" gimp skills still come in handy. I sure no one under 70 knows what I'm writing about. Anyway, you might find the workaround somewhere in the manual or online.

I'm currently trying to figure out how to keep the alarm system in my Maui van from going off when I open the door with the key instead of the remote.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2021, 11:28:09 AM »
I'm currently trying to figure out how to keep the alarm system in my Maui van from going off when I open the door with the key instead of the remote.

A guy just told my buddy how to stop that from happening with his Subaru. It involves having all the door's closed, open driver's door, lock driver's door with buttons, close door, unlock with valet key, take key out, lock doors with valet key.

Some weird combo like that. Here I found a link that explains it better. https://www.instructables.com/Lock-Your-Subaru-for-Surfing-Without-the-Alarm-Goi/

SurfKiteSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2021, 02:10:28 PM »
For my Toyota, on the fob - if you hold the lock button down while pressing the unlock button twice it will "turn off" the fob then you can hide and lock the fob in the car while taking the door key with you. just press any button to turn the fob back "on".

this was kind of buried in the manual so maybe the Chevy has something similar.

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2021, 02:53:57 PM »
I just use a lockbox like the one Realtors use to hide a pass key in. Lock the truck/car with the fob and close the door a walk away. Have to remember the 4 digit code and to replace the pass key each time. Share the code with friends so if they get there first they can dry off etc.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2021, 04:02:25 PM »
I got this "KeyGuard SL-501 Punch Button Large Capacity Key Box" from Amazon, because the MasterLock key box - pictured in 808's post above - that worked with the smaller key I had for my old van, was too small to fit the key of my newer Transit van. Really happy with the new box, as I feel it just slightly safer having 9 buttons to make up a combo with, rather than just the four of my old one.

But yeah, the key boxes seem to be the way to go....if you can't take the key with you into the water.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2021, 04:21:05 PM »
Insurance will not cover theft if the key is within a certain perimeter of the car in many cases.

Guys in LA put their key lock box on a fence or handrail. Silly world we live in. There are a ton of good waterproof key holders now too. I used to use one and then put it in a ziplock as a backup.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2021, 02:44:25 PM »
If you read the reviews of those lockboxes, you will see that they have a high rate of failure. I remember one guy said, make sure you keep some bolt cutters handy.

When I bought my last car, I had four priorities.

1. The doors must accept a valet key.

2. No annoying seatbelt alarm.

3. The headlights can be turned off.

4. My 8'10 Flow will fit inside.

The Nissan Rogue checked every box.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 02:47:45 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2021, 06:45:16 PM »
I just use a lockbox like the one Realtors use to hide a pass key in. Lock the truck/car with the fob and close the door a walk away. Have to remember the 4 digit code and to replace the pass key each time. Share the code with friends so if they get there first they can dry off etc.

A lockbox won't help with a walk-up key. Or at least it won't with some. I tried one with Diane's Tesla and anyone that touched the door handle got a free Model S.

My F350 in Hood River has the handiest setup. A combination lock on the driver's side. Works great as long as I remember to lock the truck--or at least close the doors. I came back from a long session at the Hook in Hood river and found both doors wide open. I thought someone might have broken in, but everything was there, including a few hundred bucks in cash in the console. Some person (probably Admin) solved the mystery by saying "No, you left it like that when you took your gear down to the water. I thought it was on purpose for some reason, so I didn't say anything". I think the inference was he couldn't imagine me being stupid enough to run off into the water and leave it like that. He knows better now.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 06:51:37 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2021, 11:29:45 PM »
The lockbox will work with the newer transmitting key fobs if said fob is enveloped in something to smother the transmission like aluminum foil.

Most of these lock boxes are easy to break into. The models from the lock maker Argus look tougher.

Having a fancy car alarm on my van yields a further complication as Bill points out. I can secure the fob in the van but it takes a moment with the alarm blaring to retrieve and disarm with the fob.
I purchased a ‘key defender’ waterproof pouch but have yet to trust it with the fob.

Roverdude

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2021, 02:04:24 AM »
Doesn't work for existing cars, but if you're shopping for a new car, Jaguar Land Rover offers an Activity Key for most of their models. Similar in form to a fit bit, but it's a water and shock proof wearable key. The first gen worked with your existing key (that you left in the car but was disabled when activity key activated), the second gen functions entirely as its own key. A brilliant solution for people that actually use SUVs as intended, I wish more automakers offered something like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaCfQQcK358

Ford also has had keypad entry on most of their models for years.

For proximity keys, if you have one of those food saver vacuum suckers, you can always seal off your key and just take it with you. Should keep it nice and watertight!

Wingingtanuki

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2021, 07:04:03 AM »
I had a Jeep with one of those wireless key fobs.

You can't take the key out of the fob and leave tho fob in the car because the car won't let you lock it with the fob inside.

Solution:

a) Take key out of fob
b) Wrap fob in aluminum foil
c) Leave fob inside and lock car
d) Open car with key

Now I'm driving a Tesla 3, so I take the credit card key with me. But I have to turn my phone off when I leave it in the car or the car will lock, but open for anyone who walks by.

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2021, 08:15:46 AM »
Instead of turning phone off, could you just turn bluetooth off? Or put it in airplane mode?

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2021, 09:29:31 AM »
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

SUS4Life

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2021, 09:41:33 AM »
Like what other people said have you try shielding your key with alu foil?  I don't have those type of key so I have no idea if alu foil will work but its a cheap option to test out.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal