Author Topic: DECATHLON charges into the market  (Read 4713 times)

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: DECATHLON charges into the market
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021, 07:03:08 AM »
But their own brand foil! Wow!
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/secured-surf-foil-500-medium-size-with-cover-2-masts-included-35cm-and-55cm/_/R-p-312695
It's not pretty, but a serious attempt to bring foiling to the masses. Rubber on the leading edges, and cage to help prevent stab injuries. Innovative, for sure!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 07:05:22 AM by Solent Foiler »
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 08:46:17 AM »
But their own brand foil! Wow!
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/secured-surf-foil-500-medium-size-with-cover-2-masts-included-35cm-and-55cm/_/R-p-312695
It's not pretty, but a serious attempt to bring foiling to the masses. Rubber on the leading edges, and cage to help prevent stab injuries. Innovative, for sure!

So this is freaky, but lets type about the design. I would love to see some images or videos of this bad boy flying in the water.

PONDER THIS FOIL NERDS!.........

There may be more drag with the little condom ring around the wings, but it also looks like an underwater rail. Like way more of a rail than the front wing and tail wing offer..

I also wonder if the condom ring(rail) keeps the water broken or unstable along the rail as it initially breaks on front wing, slides down the rail and then to tail. Either that, or it provides stability because the front wing breaks the water (makes a bubble or tunnel) then the rail keeps it open(bubble or tunnel) so that tail wing has less drag

This thing is kind of bad ass, How exciting.

There may be something here.
Someone go buy one immediately and post report with underwater videos.

Thanks team
-red

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2021, 10:03:50 AM »
Olivia Piana has been working with Decathlon. I think she is sponsored by Takoon as well. I think she has had a big influence in the SUP and foil side of things in Decathlon.
 They are bringing out a new carbon race paddle that looks interesting as well.
 Didn't North try a foil that looked like that.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 10:32:07 AM »
Super interesting, especially for a first offering. Lots of benefits and limitations. Probably aimed at beginners since you can't change much other than the mast.

The design is old in the aeronautical world. Lots of designers penned things that linked stabilizers to wings to eliminate or reduce wingtip turbulence and increase the structural strength of both wings and stab. I don't recall ever seeing anything like that actually get built.

Is Olaian an in-house brand?

Hmmm, I answered my own question and found this:
https://youtu.be/I9JOmaKmtlQ

Definitely for beginners. The claim is that the stringers make the board safer by keeping sharp parts away from the rider and increase roll stability.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 10:41:46 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2021, 01:05:52 PM »
I hope more manufacturers consider softer edges.
Maybe not on front wing trailing edge for perfo but the rest of them would probably work pretty well.
Cedrus is already doing this with the mast.

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2021, 01:10:23 PM »
I hope more manufacturers consider softer edges.
Maybe not on front wing trailing edge for perfo but the rest of them would probably work pretty well.
Cedrus is already doing this with the mast.

The cedrus mast has rubber edges, but I wouldn't call them soft.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2021, 02:10:56 PM »
Cast urethane makes more sense than rubber. It doesn't have to be soft to avoid cutting you. Oh, and Ken Winner sent me this--a beginner safety foil that Duotone designed five years ago.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

pafoil

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2021, 11:02:58 PM »
Let's see how reliable is their supply chain. So far, seems like a scam; no stock on LOLs.  :'(

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2021, 11:49:41 PM »
Let's see how reliable is their supply chain. So far, seems like a scam; no stock on LOLs.  :'(

LOL 1300 is in stock,i just checked for a friend.
And i do not think Dectahlon runs "scams", it may have it's failings but it is a reliable business.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal