Author Topic: Foil wing fiddling  (Read 10676 times)

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Foil wing fiddling
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2021, 03:35:57 AM »
This is all really interested stuff - enjoying the discussion. It confirms what I had accidentally discovered on my sinker board (5'3 x 19 34L) which had a straight tail. I'm thinking of getting a custom light wind board made in a similar style to that sinker board which has long shallow side bevels so only the middle third of the board is flat. I think this helps with water release and makes the touch downs softer, and maybe helps getting through chop when taking off so would want to keep that shape. Dimensions about 5' x 20 (I think I want this board narrow) and 75 litres which is +10 for me with the volume packed under my feet as far as possible with a squared tail.

I've no experience with board design but applying what I've learned to try and come up with something that suits what I want. Does this sound like a decent shape? Would welcome any comments...
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2021, 04:19:14 AM »
Dimensions about 5' x 20 (I think I want this board narrow) and 75 litres which is +10 for me with the volume packed under my feet as far as possible with a squared tail.

I think wider is more enjoyable and easier.  My kite foil board was 5 x 20, then settled on 4’9 x 20.5. Winging I’ve enjoyed wider more. More room for my feet, more room for foot offset, to give more power and control. At +10 liters, I’d take those liters and enjoy something like 4’9 x 24.5

Now looking at how hull design works. Narrow is faster at sub planing speed. Wider planes up earlier.

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2021, 06:08:17 AM »
Dimensions about 5' x 20 (I think I want this board narrow) and 75 litres which is +10 for me with the volume packed under my feet as far as possible with a squared tail.

I think wider is more enjoyable and easier.  My kite foil board was 5 x 20, then settled on 4’9 x 20.5. Winging I’ve enjoyed wider more. More room for my feet, more room for foot offset, to give more power and control. At +10 liters, I’d take those liters and enjoy something like 4’9 x 24.5

Now looking at how hull design works. Narrow is faster at sub planing speed. Wider planes up earlier.

Many thanks for the feedback DW - good points. I think the overarching purpose of this board is to get foiling as early as possible on big foils (1900 and 1600 Veloce). It will be used in tandem with the 34L sinker which I'll use once the lulls are 15+ knots.

Totally take the wider board point - my back foot wonders all over the place and I appreciate what the additional leverage a wider board can bring - I use a front strap. Think I'd be willing to sacrifice that a bit for early foiling though.

This is how it's playing out in my head...

What I'm really after with the length and narrowness is that hull speed through the water, being able to drive the board hard when pumping the wing and not lose speed in between pumps, especially in the chop I get from other watercraft etc.

A longer narrow board will cut through chop better but also have a smoother transition into planing so shouldn't drop off the back of it's own bow wave so quickly. The planing speed might be higher, but I'm thinking that by the time I'm getting close to that I'll be able to pump the foil a bit to help generate speed.

As has already been mentioned, the straight tail helps pumping HA wings by restricting how aggressive you can be. Similarly, I tend to reach quite far forward when pumping the wing which often overloads the nose of my current big board, the 4'6 Lethal. So some more length will help control nose diving and keep the foil more stable and so create less drag while I'm being less than delicate with my wing pump.

Less lateral stability when on the water I think I can live with. With a foil hanging off the bottom, than should provide enough especially if the length lessenes the pitch instability.

The length and straighter rails should also help slogging upwind if I need to. The round shape of the Lethal doesn't help it there I don't think.

Finally narrow boards are nice to foil because it gives you so much space to work with when the board is leaned over. Being a light wind board it won't be doing anything aggressive, but still nice to have.

Trade off is swing weight and less leverage over the foil as above, and a board that may be awkward in some ways. I just can't get my head around whether my thought process will give me something that 1) works 2) will be fun to use 3) I don't need once my technique gets better.

I'm kinda looking for someone to talk me out of it to be honest!
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2021, 07:08:36 AM »

Beg someone for a demo ride on the Indiana wing board. File what you learn, then design your next board.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2021, 11:41:47 AM »

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2021, 02:09:19 PM »
https://youtu.be/mUaVM2Hk008

Patrice offers his view on wing board design. Takes a minute to get into the interesting stuff...

I have this board and can confirm that I can't feel it sticking on take off. Whether a straight tail is better, I couldn't say but a straight tail does make sense to me too...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 02:13:07 PM by Solent Foiler »
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2021, 10:06:37 PM »

Beg someone for a demo ride on the Indiana wing board. File what you learn, then design your next board.

Hey Dwight I'm mid build on my next SUP Surf foil board(i.know) and was thinking of going straight tail. Any thoughts on that f surf?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2021, 04:30:47 AM »

Hey Dwight I'm mid build on my next SUP Surf foil board(i.know) and was thinking of going straight tail. Any thoughts on that f surf?

My personal SUP is a straight tail. It catches wave easier.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal