Author Topic: Learn on old foil or sell it and get low aspect foil?  (Read 7318 times)

SUS4Life

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Learn on old foil or sell it and get low aspect foil?
« on: April 27, 2021, 03:26:11 PM »
I have the first gen Naish size large foil. I used it a few times before i broke the mount on a converted 6'8 surf SUP.  I want to get back to learning SUP foiling, should I sell the old design foil and get the lastest LA foil or just keep learning the basic on the Naish? Thanks

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Learn on old foil or sell it and get low aspect foil?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 04:18:38 PM »
Black and yellow Naish Thrust Large? SELL!

SUS4Life

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 05:41:32 PM »
Yes, black and yellow.  Can you explain the reason to sell? thanks for your input.

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 07:18:51 PM »
I'll disagree with Hdip, and say just use that for a few more times, until you feel comfortable catching waves, and turning. Then sell it and get something newer.  For learning the basics I feel like thats a good enough foil.

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 08:36:20 PM »
I learned on a naish thrust L. It thrusts you up out of the water instantly. Newer wings are immensely easier to ride. Smoother lift, which gives you an easier pop up. More stable in roll rail to rail also.

I’m not saying buy brand new. But an axis 900 would be great and way better than the naish thrust.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 09:11:01 PM »
That wing shape and size paired with that tail is one of the hardest foils to learn on.   Kai Lenny and the pro level west coast foil guys can rip on it, anyone else will most likely be challenged.

First time I rode it I thought omg i can't believe anyone learned to foil on this setup.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

SUS4Life

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2021, 08:43:39 AM »
I'll see how much I can sell the Naish for. I was able to lift the naish a few times until I broke my board. So Axis 900 is good option, what other brand/model? There is fanatic aero 2000 for sale locally, is that a good option too? All the different brand with different # is pretty confusing. thanks for all the input.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 08:58:26 AM by SUS4Life »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2021, 11:11:04 AM »
I'd say use what you've got, but from what I've heard that's a pretty tough setup to ride until you have good pitch control. Probably the cheapest good-for-learning foil setup you'll find is a 1st gen GoFoil with the Maliko 200 wing. Unless you're really heavy it will come up easily and won't stall at low speed. If you're heavy, get a M280. They're cheap because they are 1str gen and there are a zillion of them. And you can use the mast with all their new wings--more or less.

Axis is a fine choice, but starting with the 900 is kind of strange advice. Most folks I know started with something that lifts easily and goes slow. 1020 and 920, depending on your weight.

That people ask for foil advice without giving their weight shouldn't surprise me, since it's not just common, it's consistent, but it would help.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2021, 01:20:47 PM »
Yup the best foil is the one you can use now.  You're gonna suck no matter which foil you use the first few times, so just get out in the water.  Yeah, there are prob better foils to learn on but both Hdip and myself learned on that foil, so it is isn't impossible, haha. just go foiling, if you find something better, get it.

SUS4Life

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2021, 01:36:48 PM »
 ;) I'm still a noob with the foil, forgot about the weight. I'm 175lb and my normal surf sup is about 85L.

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2021, 01:51:13 PM »
Yeah foiling is better than not foiling. It's a very maneuverable foil and lifts like crazy. You're not going to be pumping into 5 for 1's anyway. So set the tail to neutral and mount it back in the tracks. Move it forward in the tracks as you feel comfortable.

I'd say it's worth $350 on the used market. At least that's what I sold mine for a year and a half ago.

I'm 6'1" 185# and still ride my west coast foil club 4'8" I bought with that foil. My AXIS 900 recommendation is due to personally owning that foil and watching several people learn on it. Plus it's a couple years old so deals to be had on it. It's still going to cost you money though.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2021, 03:21:02 PM »
For what it's worth, I usually put new to the sport folks on the 900 with the 390 tail if they're gonna prone with it, and the 1000 and 440 tail if they're gonna go out on a sup with it...both with the ultra short fuse and 75cm mast. The only exception to that is for a lighter (<175lb) sup guy with some already very proficient sup surf skills.

Most all have picked it up surprisingly quickly with a little informal, in the water coaching/suggestions...in comparison to when many of started out years ago, and were all just learning on the fly, wearing helmets, face shields, flak vests like we were going into battle is suits of armor. :o ;D
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

SUS4Life

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2021, 09:11:27 AM »
Thanks everyone. I got a good deal on Gofoil IWA with Moliko rear wing, also it comes with kai front and rear wings too. It comes with 29.5 tuttle mast but i will need to get an track box adapter unless i install a tuttle box. From what i read, and for my weight I doubt I would ever use the Kai front wing. Should sell it?
and how about the rear wings, which one should I use and should I sell the other one that I'm not using.  Thanks for all your inputs. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2021, 09:38:25 AM »
I'd hang onto the Kai. It's actually a pretty good wing for wingfoiling once you get proficient, and not out of the question for surfing. You'll find that the amount of lift you can get from a wing is related to your skill as much as your weight and that changes quickly. I'm about 220# and the largest wing I use is 1700 sq in. and the smallest is 1200. Someone mega-skilled like Kane (195#) would call those "beginner wings"--actually, he pretty much did one afternoon at the harbor, though not in a disparaging way at all. The Iwa is about 1600-1800 and the Kai is 1200-1300 (there are no official GoFoil area numbers, just third-party measurements). I wouldn't call myself intermediate--despite several years of experience. More like an advanced geezer beginner on a torturously long learning curve.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 09:44:47 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2021, 06:36:24 PM »
That's a good score "SUS", the Iwa is a great starter wing, and 29" is a good height...although adding the 3" of an adapter can make it a tad advanced at 32ish inches. I also agree with PB wrt keeping the Kai, because when you get good, and it gets big, you'll be happy you have something smaller than the great lifting Iwa to still be able to go out and have a lot of fun. :D
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal