Author Topic: Swing V1 vs Strike - User Feedback Yet?  (Read 7456 times)

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Swing V1 vs Strike - User Feedback Yet?
« on: April 25, 2021, 06:16:18 PM »
I know that the Strike is still new to the market, but I was curious if any previous Swing V1 owners have had an opportunity to put some water time with the Strikes yet? Primarily I'm interested in...

-Weight: What is the weight difference between the Swing V1 & Strike?

-Light Wind Power: The Swing V1 is pretty grunty in light wind (less than 15mph). Is the Strike gruntier/more powerful?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Swing V1 vs Strike - User Feedback Yet?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 07:54:09 PM »
I have a 3.5, 4.2 and 5.0 Strike here in Maui. There's a 2.8 waiting for me in Hood River and there should be a 6.0 coming soon. I have a 3.5, 4.2, 5.0 and the corpse of a 6.0 Swing in Hood River.

My take so far is that they go upwind better than the swing, they seem better built and don't seem to weigh significantly more. They have one front handle and a long rear handle, and the handles seem stiffer, but I don't use them other than to connect my fake boom.

The front handle is nicely stiff and well secured, the leash/pump leash looks stouter than the swings, but I still don't trust it with a leash. I witnessed my third leash tear-out and subsequent bladder burst today in Kahalui Harbor. I've heard that Shep Nelson also had a leash tear out.

In all, I like them as much as I liked the swings. Maybe a little more.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 07:13:31 AM »
I have tried Strike 5.0 this past Saturday for like 30 or so minutes. I have had my swings' quiver for 1.5 years or so.
Strike felt at home right away, another great product from f-one.
Weight - Strike 5 is a little heavier than Swing 5, by how much not sure but it felt like a few ounces. Nothing really that worries me.
The wing flies great - the canopy seemed a lot tighter than my 1 year old swing (stretched out I guess) but it definitely felt more powerful, like noticeably more powerful. The other thing that I noticed that strike made me want to go really fast and jump - I can't put my finger on it what about it but strike was faster by 2mph on the top end than my swing that day  ???
One of the claims of the strike is its upwind angle. To me it felt better than swing but not exactly dramatically better, I might need more time on it but it's no less than swing for sure.
The other thing that was apparent is that strike on the wipe out seems to flip upside down more often than swing, doesn't bother me but maybe something to consider.
Two handles make sense since I have been using two handles on my swings 99.9% of the time.

I have been at wing foiling for the past 2 years and to me strike is more advanced wing (intermediate/advanced level), definitely a next consideration for me personally.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 02:11:16 PM »
Thanks for the feedback and rider reports. My goal is to have a 5M as my smallest wing, even for 12mph wind days (160lbs, 2,000cm foil). The V1 Swing isn't quite enough for me on those light days, sounds like the Strike may have the added torque/power that I'm looking for.

SurfIC

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2021, 03:27:02 PM »
For what it's worth my view on the Strike.. I had the V1 5m Swing for 5 months and loved how light it was but didn't like its lack of low end grunt and big wingspan as I'm a short arse. I had the chance to demo the 5m Strike at the beach. Several wingers locally have switched to the Strike and I was curious to see how it did. It was 12 to 14 knots and I was completely underwelmed. Felt very similar to the Swing, same massive wingspan and lack of power. My Takoon 4m feels only slightly less in power. I ended up with a Duotone Slick for my light wind wing which has way more power. It does prove that Internet research and forums are great but if you can demo evan if you have to travel it really does help. Wings are definitely a very personal choice.
*The Takoon and the Slick are the 2 best I've used out of lots of demos and more than a few purchases..!!?!
78kgs
Board- Naish 4'10 60L
Foils - Gong Curve H, L and M
Wing 4m and 5m Airush
*Prone surf - Flying Fish 4'6 35L

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2021, 08:38:18 PM »
The upwind thing is odd. When I first started using the Strike I thought there was very little difference in the upwind capability, then I realized I wasn't really pushing the wing, the wing position was more like a broad reach--not fully sheeted, with the leading edge well forward. I started leaning out more, tipping the board and sheeting the wing to hold balance. When I hold it fully sheeted it goes upwind like crazy. It doesn't lock into that position, I have to hold it there. The natural position for the wing seems to be on a fairly close reach but nothing remarkable. If you want to see what it will do you have to make it do it. I've never had it backwind. I'm not sure I've reached it's limit.

As far as the rest of the usual performance elements go, I have to sort of agree with SurfIC. It's not vastly different from the swing. I really like the look of the Slick, and I'll probably get one in the larger size when I can--probably in Hood River, though with the supply chain issues everyone is having, it might be 2022. I'll be ditching the 6 and 7M Echos and going for at least one Slick. I'm keeping the Strikes, and I'll be selling the hobo fleet.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2021, 05:32:00 PM »
For what it's worth my view on the Strike.. I had the V1 5m Swing for 5 months and loved how light it was but didn't like its lack of low end grunt and big wingspan as I'm a short arse. I had the chance to demo the 5m Strike at the beach. Several wingers locally have switched to the Strike and I was curious to see how it did. It was 12 to 14 knots and I was completely underwelmed. Felt very similar to the Swing, same massive wingspan and lack of power. My Takoon 4m feels only slightly less in power. I ended up with a Duotone Slick for my light wind wing which has way more power. It does prove that Internet research and forums are great but if you can demo evan if you have to travel it really does help. Wings are definitely a very personal choice.
*The Takoon and the Slick are the 2 best I've used out of lots of demos and more than a few purchases..!!?!

Thanks for the report SurfIC. It doesn't sound like the Strike would be worth the upgrade for what I'm looking for based on this report. Really looking for more power coupled with the a similar light weight. Maybe I'll take a look at the BRM wings and the new V3 Ensis (supposedly releasing in June). Too bad it's so hard to demo wings before you buy!

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2021, 07:02:12 PM »
12-14knots I am flying circles on my 5m Swing. It works for me at 12mph, my 6 gets me going in 9-10mph with big foil. I am 175ish.

SurfIC

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2021, 02:05:42 AM »
Yeah, it's a personal thing. My 5.5 Slick from 9 knots and my 4m Takoon from 14/15 knots.
78kgs
Board- Naish 4'10 60L
Foils - Gong Curve H, L and M
Wing 4m and 5m Airush
*Prone surf - Flying Fish 4'6 35L

lakemichiganwingfoiler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2021, 08:34:15 AM »
@gone_foiling What size board are you using to get up and going in 9 to 10. For the gofoil are you using the m200 or gl24?
naish s25 hover 75ltr
Cabrinha mantis v2 6.0 wing
cabrinha mantis 4.0
gofoil gt1400 rs1150 FTL 20

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2021, 08:37:09 AM »
@gone_foiling What size board are you using to get up and going in 9 to 10. For the gofoil are you using the m200 or gl24?
Quatro wing drifter 5.4 @ 90l, 6 m swing and gl 240

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2021, 07:01:14 PM »
I have lots of experience with the Swing and tried a friend’s 5 meter Strike the other day. Most noticeable differences are increased stiffness and better handles (2 longer ones with more clearance).  I did not find a huge difference in weight or upwind ability (no harness).

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2021, 09:36:29 PM »
As I said above, my mistake in assessing the upwind ability was looking at the reach it settles into. It's happy as a clam in the kind of reach a Swing just starts getting backwinded. But then if you bend your knees a little, hike out. and sheet in until the thing pukes--you find yourself on an extreme close reach. You have to push it, and push it hard to get there, but I just goes closer and closer. Tacking on the mega super close reach is stupid easy. by the time you get the wing switched over to the other side the tack is over.

Wingingtanuki

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2021, 05:07:55 AM »
Everything that Pono said is correct.

I just spent a week with my old Swing V1 in Puerto Rico after a month on my new Strike in SoFlo and the difference in stiffness is extremely noticeable when ridden (almost) back to back.

The Swing pumps like a wet noodle and overpowers quicker in comparison - you have to inflate it to more than the label says to make it behave. Even when you pump the Swing to 9PSI (the recommended for Strike) it still isn't as stiff and stable - and it looks like a sausage at the seams.

With me trying to learn waves (IOW, falling a lot in whitewash) and the reef being a half mile out, I don't feel good inflating the Swing to 9, so I'm going to have to find a new wing for PR.

The only downside to the Strike is that it flips over a lot when you fall.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal