Author Topic: Sitting Start with Alan Cadiz  (Read 3510 times)

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sitting Start with Alan Cadiz
« on: April 24, 2021, 12:03:55 AM »
Don't know if i have the flex to pull this one but i will try it:

https://youtu.be/vcGubw9qsHQ

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sitting Start with Alan Cadiz
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2021, 01:43:31 AM »
I tried it yesterday without success. Not sure if I need more wind or my 5/4 wetsuit is restricting my mobility or both. Would like to be able to...
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2021, 09:20:22 AM »
Nope. Alan is skinny has the balance and reflexes of a cat, and is ridiculously strong for his size. I am also all of those things--not.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2021, 12:28:26 PM »
I tried it today. It was really easy to hop on the board that way. But then, putting my front foot on the deck and standing got weird. I slid to windward on my butt like he said, then put my foot up, the board shot off downwind, which is not good. I think my front wing tips were dragging the bottom and screwing with me. When I got out to deep water later, I forgot to try it again.

I’m not ready to give up on it. My knees need a break.

Oh, and the stupid front straps were in my way. I happen to try it during a jumping session. Stupid me. I took the straps off after the jump session, and forgot again, to try it.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2021, 08:02:59 PM »
I’ve been working on knee flexibility for over a year. You can improve. I’m able to squat with my butt below my knees now. Carefully.

It’s made all my surfing better. Gerry Lopez has it right. Stay flexible. But also, you can improve. I didn’t do anything fancy, just learned a few yoga poses and some stretches and I do them watching tv at night. It helps. Just do what you can.

I haven’t tried this method but I do get on the board backwards a lot to keep my leash clear.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2021, 10:48:44 PM »
When you're starting with a body that has the flexibility of a statue, multiple shoulder surgeries, knee surgery, bad hips, and an extra 20 pounds of ugly fat the road is very long. I'm going to give Yoga yet another round, but as soon as anyone says "rest in the downward dog position" I'm gonna pick up my skinny little mat and use it for changing out of my wetsuit.

A watched a very pretty girl plunk her yoga stuff down in the middle of a bunch of wingfoilers today and start doing some fairly impressive stuff. Every few minutes she'd pop back up and look around to see who was watching her. Other than me, no one. If she'd been tossing off some laydown jibes and a few tacks there might have been interest, but other than me, it's a tough crowd. And I'm invisible to young hotties. She got progressively more frustrated, toward the end she was clearly in a huff. Is display yoga a thing? Is it some kind of Gen Z mating ritual I don't know about??
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

wingsup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 10:29:33 AM »
Last week,  I started on a S26 95L 5'7" Naish Hover board from a S25 110L 5'10 Hover. 6' 81KG dry. First session, 10 to 15 Knots was a seamless transition, but my second session out in the Channel of the San Francisco Bay with strong swell and plus 20 Knots. I kept getting knocked off the board before I could get my wing up. Then I remembered this video, and it was awesome! Saved my session. Lower inner thighs were sore the next day, but locking the board, getting the wing up in the air, then using the wing to help stand on the board with your front leg planted first is a valuable technique when conditions get rough.

I think now I could have gone down to the 85L 5'2" board, but I want to stay married, so I will not be buying another board for a while...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal