Author Topic: Any DIY ideas on creating a carbon boom for a Slick  (Read 6844 times)

SurfIC

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Any DIY ideas on creating a carbon boom for a Slick
« on: April 23, 2021, 02:28:55 PM »
I havnt got a broken carbon paddle I can use. Any ideas how to make a cheap carbon mini boom as Duotone one is v. expensive ? It needs to be 129cm long.
Thanks
78kgs
Board- Naish 4'10 60L
Foils - Gong Curve H, L and M
Wing 4m and 5m Airush
*Prone surf - Flying Fish 4'6 35L

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Any DIY ideas on creating a carbon boom for a Slick
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 06:39:55 PM »
KeNalu paddle shaft. I'd use a xTuf(s). They might have climbed in price, but you can buy just the shaft. Shipping might be horrible though.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2021, 09:01:39 PM »

WingNut Ohana

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2021, 09:02:19 PM »
Try asking at your local board shop, they might have some laying around.

SurfIC

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
78kgs
Board- Naish 4'10 60L
Wing 4m and 5m Airush

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2021, 11:46:52 PM »
https://shop1.r-g.de/en/art/740908

I think now it will work,scroll down to diameter and lenght you need.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2021, 02:58:05 AM »
I don’t think you’ll find anything cheaper than https://www.rockwestcomposites.com/45355 and made in the US. Shipped in a rigid cardboard tube.

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2021, 12:04:23 PM »
I don’t think you’ll find anything cheaper than https://www.rockwestcomposites.com/45355 and made in the US. Shipped in a rigid cardboard tube.

For me to import the carbon tube (exchange and shipping) will cost nearly as much as the already complete and ready to go Duotone carbon boom made for the Slick.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2021, 07:05:43 PM »
Hence the price. You can actually make your own. I've done it. It's a stupid lot of work since you won't be making more than one. Step one--make a mandrel--a shaft with a slight taper. Wood is OK, whatever you have handy will work.

Method A. 1. wrap it evenly with several layers of mylar tape from an old VHS cartridge. leave the end of the tape sticking out at one end, secured with a rubber band or tape.
2. Prewet carbon of the appropriate length and enough width to do six full wraps. wrap the carbon onto the shaft as tightly as you can manage.
3. Layer on VHS tape very tightly by having someone turn the mandrel while you tension the tape and wrap it in a tight helix.
4. Let kick. Remove outer tape wrap. pull the inner tape with firm, steady pressure until you get as much of it out as you can. Knock the mandrel out.

Option b: Wrap two layers of prewet fiberglass onto the mandrel. Let kick. slit the fiberglass and remove it from the mandrel. Wrap the glass tube with prewet carbon, do the same tight layering with mylar. Let kick, remove mylar, done.

Yes, that's a stupid amount of work, yes, I'm dumb enough to have done both methods, no I won't help you or do it for you, ever.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SurfIC

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2021, 01:23:42 AM »
Right, I'm not going to bother. Now to work out if 250 grams is worth an extra spend of £100 over the Alu boom..
78kgs
Board- Naish 4'10 60L
Wing 4m and 5m Airush

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2021, 07:41:17 AM »
Find a used, cheap carbon SUP paddle. Cut it up.

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2021, 12:56:51 PM »
I just ordered a Slick so the question now is what diameter shaft to go with.

I have 2 potential sacrificial paddles to choose from. A  C4 paddle shaft. That is 1.229" (31mm) in diameter.
Or AXE paddle who's shaft is 1.07" (27mm) diameter which is more standard size, the same as my KeNalu paddle which seems too flexy.

I have zero experience with a boom so no iidea which might be better. I can say I still like my AXE paddle, but not the C4 mainly because it's fiberglass blade only used it to loan out. Any thoughts? Is 31mm too big for the wing's pockets?
Thanks

SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

jmunkki

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2022, 04:12:32 AM »
Sorry for the thread necro, but I think with the Slick SLS, there's probably renewed interest in custom booms. Also, I just released a video and some 3D models to convert broken ice hockey sticks into Slick carbon booms, so that may be of interest as well.

Here's the Youtube video I made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-stZgCOYuoo

And this is where the 3D model files are for 3D printing:

https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-hockeyboom-wingfoil-boom-duotone-slick-compatible-233110

Even if you don't have a 3D printer of your own, a local library or makerspace is likely to allow you to print the pieces you need as they are small enough to print in just a couple of hours.

As far as diameters for round tubes go, I made an alu boom before I started using the hockey sticks and 25mm diameter was great. Once you add a grip, it's very similar to the Duotone booms (although they have a slightly oval cross section). 27mm is probably fine, but anything over that is going to feel pretty big unless you have very large hands.

I'm probably going to release some 3D-printable files for round profiles in the near future. While broken or used hockey sticks are easily found in many parts of the world, they can be a bit harder to obtain in others.

I think hockey sticks are great because broken sticks are often still long enough to be used for booms, they are very stiff, strong and lightweight and the most recent ones have a sticky coating, so you can opt out of adding a rubber grip entirely (especially for winter winging with gloves on). If there's a hockey rink nearby, you may be able to get the stick free from a garbage bin (ask a janitor or coach for permission).

Wingfoil2001

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2022, 02:54:03 PM »
Here in Oz you can buy carbon kayak paddle shafts for AUD$89 from eBay delivered. A mate printed a front end mould and we build carbon front ends. We did try printing the front end but they were too heavy. The rear end is printed.
Grip is either rough sanded or fishing rod grip from eBay. Rough sanded is really light but you need to be careful with sunscreen as any on your hands will make it slippery.
I’ve now just use the fishing rod grip, bit extra weight but works well, a finished boom is 320 grams and costs about AUD$100

jmunkki

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2022, 03:35:04 AM »
My first version of a round tube boom head was also a bit on the heavy side, but it worked.

This morning, I modified the CAD files for the ice hockey stick head to use a round profile and made 25mm and 27mm versions that look OK. My 29mm version still needs a slight tweak before I would trust it to be strong enough.

I'm going to print a 25mm version, install it on the 25mm alu tube and check that it fits and works and then publish the files. Testing will be much more limited than for the hockey stick version, but the model is very similar. Printed weight is under 40g, which I think is light enough.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal