Author Topic: New board next week!?  (Read 2002 times)

B-Walnut

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
New board next week!?
« on: April 21, 2021, 08:49:57 AM »
Hopefully pulling the trigger on my new board next week. Wanted to touch base and get any last minute feedback/extra info.

I really only take surf seriously. Any flatwater paddling usually has the dog involved and is me trying to reach an island to relax on for the day.

So:

My intro to surfing was through kiting. After around 300 strapless sessions I gave paddleboarding a shot to save me on the no wind days. Little did I know that I would be so insanely hooked so fast...

I learned to catch waves on the Hala Playa inflatable 10'11" x 30" and totally fell in love. Maybe it was the empty break and endless waves. Maybe it was the dolphins around me. Maybe it was the fantastic pounding I took. Not sure, but that board was fun to learn on.

After that, I switched to the Starboard Blend/Element 9'8" x 30" 146l. This pushed me way forward but still felt really big, plus, weighing in at over 20lbs it was a bear to carry in to a lot of places. The nice thing is that this was still a viable all around board.

So that brings me to next week:

Looking at the Quatro Carve Pro, but I can't seem to find too many people who own it, or have feedback on it. I'm especially drawn to it because the lengths seem a lot shorter to me than the average paddleboard I've come across. I'm used to riding a 5'1" board when doing all my airs, fliptricks, etc as a kiter, and step up to my 5'3" "gun" lol when the waves get big.

The carve pro sizes I am looking at are the 8'4" x 30' 130l gf 1.5 (I'm guessing that with wetsuit, paddle, lunch on board I'm at my heaviest at 86.36kg.)

and the 8'2" x 29" 120l gf 1.39 in the spring. I tend to swing about 10lbs from winter to summer time so, in theory my summer gf on this board could be 1.46.

I'm still learning, and don't have any illusions about being amazing on the board yet, but I'm really drawn to the smaller board because of the slightly narrower width. I can usually stay out for a maximum of 3 hours before my energy bottoms out.

Has anyone ridden these boards?
Am I biting off more than I can chew if I drop to the 120l board?
Everything I've ridden has been 30" wide, will it feel like a big difference dropping to 29" wide?

I guess I'll also throw out that I have 50 days scheduled for surfing this year from May-September. Always in 5 day chunks. So, time to get acclimated to a board seems reasonable in my mind.

Thanks in advance everyone!

slsup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: New board next week!?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 11:43:33 AM »
Its not so much the width, going from 9'8 to 8'4 your putting a lot less surface area on the water. Quatro is a very solid brand good sup reviews, but if you can't try it out first I would go with the 8'4 when making such a big jump in size and going to your first performance shape.

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: New board next week!?
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 12:23:12 PM »
Hopefully pulling the trigger on my new board next week. Wanted to touch base and get any last minute feedback/extra info.

I really only take surf seriously. Any flatwater paddling usually has the dog involved and is me trying to reach an island to relax on for the day.

So:

My intro to surfing was through kiting. After around 300 strapless sessions I gave paddleboarding a shot to save me on the no wind days. Little did I know that I would be so insanely hooked so fast...

I learned to catch waves on the Hala Playa inflatable 10'11" x 30" and totally fell in love. Maybe it was the empty break and endless waves. Maybe it was the dolphins around me. Maybe it was the fantastic pounding I took. Not sure, but that board was fun to learn on.

After that, I switched to the Starboard Blend/Element 9'8" x 30" 146l. This pushed me way forward but still felt really big, plus, weighing in at over 20lbs it was a bear to carry in to a lot of places. The nice thing is that this was still a viable all around board.

So that brings me to next week:

Looking at the Quatro Carve Pro, but I can't seem to find too many people who own it, or have feedback on it. I'm especially drawn to it because the lengths seem a lot shorter to me than the average paddleboard I've come across. I'm used to riding a 5'1" board when doing all my airs, fliptricks, etc as a kiter, and step up to my 5'3" "gun" lol when the waves get big.

The carve pro sizes I am looking at are the 8'4" x 30' 130l gf 1.5 (I'm guessing that with wetsuit, paddle, lunch on board I'm at my heaviest at 86.36kg.)

and the 8'2" x 29" 120l gf 1.39 in the spring. I tend to swing about 10lbs from winter to summer time so, in theory my summer gf on this board could be 1.46.

I'm still learning, and don't have any illusions about being amazing on the board yet, but I'm really drawn to the smaller board because of the slightly narrower width. I can usually stay out for a maximum of 3 hours before my energy bottoms out.

Has anyone ridden these boards?
Am I biting off more than I can chew if I drop to the 120l board?
Everything I've ridden has been 30" wide, will it feel like a big difference dropping to 29" wide?

I guess I'll also throw out that I have 50 days scheduled for surfing this year from May-September. Always in 5 day chunks. So, time to get acclimated to a board seems reasonable in my mind.

Thanks in advance everyone!

I suspect you have looked at this but here is a bit more info that might help. https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=35450.0
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal