Author Topic: Tails with Vertical Angles  (Read 1637 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Tails with Vertical Angles
« on: April 19, 2021, 06:29:23 PM »
I was wondering if people have had experience with Tails that are Flat vs. Vertical and how that may help go upwind. 

In other words any Dihedral or Anhedral angle creates a vertical planform (shadow) that effectively acts like a tailfin.  Alternately some flip tip tails, like the GoFoil, have vertical tips.

Would this Vertical Planform area help go upwind better because it's acting like a Vertical Fin at the tail end of the fuselage?  More to push against and drive upwind. 

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Tails with Vertical Angles
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 09:25:49 PM »
I'm curious to hear what people have found in practice.  When going upwind, the force resisting the wing is primarily going to be coming from the fact that the foil is tilted in the water and so the direction of lift is partially upwards and partially to windward.  The mast might have a little lifting effect - probably far more than could be obtained from the tips of the tail.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 10:27:58 PM »
If they do help to go upwind it's for a different reason than main wings. The best upwind wing in my collection by a long shot is the 1300, which is pretty flat.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 03:55:19 AM »
My experience shows the fastest foil, on the tallest mast, with a long fuselage wins the upwind angle race. Tall mast is very important. You must lean it to windward more. Tails, I never noticed.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal