Author Topic: "Lay down Jibe" - Better for Light wind?  (Read 11099 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: "Lay down Jibe" - Better for Light wind?
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2021, 07:58:49 PM »
I don't do under grips except on silly long runs when my wrist starts to ache. I really don't know why that doesn't work for me, it seems like a trivial difference, but I have much less control with an under grip, especially on the front hand. I can get away with more on the back.

I really, really want to do this jibe in high wind with a small wing. I think it would be over before I even get a chance to fall. Especially if I commit to a tight, high speed turn. We can do this. Right stuff. All that crap.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2021, 10:50:54 AM »
Reposting to Motivate People.  Get it Done!

https://youtu.be/0vboTw9JpFc

juandesooka

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2021, 11:51:13 AM »
Watching this over and over ... smooth and cool and effective. Would be particularly awesome for turning into waves with speed....avoiding that awkward half second pause as you change hands.

But then the worries and fears and reality check kick in: lighter wind with larger wings, or not being as high on the foil as you should be, you will at some point catch leading edge as you turn.  The drag will mean you come off foil mid turn.  Wing position downwind means your body will land across the wing backwards.  I am wearing a harness hook, so that's a potential rip.  The board and foil at that point will be upwind and moving at speed, good chance it'll run into the leading edge of wing....potential pop.  Adding in murphy's law the board may also flip and then land foil into canopy....more rip potential.

So ... does the potential benefit justify the potential cost?  I think I leaning towards being negative nelly this morning ... for what is a fairly straightforward regular turn, I don't think it's worth the risks for me.  But hey, permanent intermediate over here, I won't ever be winning any style contests.   ;D

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2021, 01:10:54 PM »
https://youtu.be/B6c15mVS0pk

At 1:11 another beautiful example
Quite a few in this vid
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 01:14:45 PM by Dontsink »

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2021, 01:55:47 PM »
Watching this over and over ... smooth and cool and effective. Would be particularly awesome for turning into waves with speed....avoiding that awkward half second pause as you change hands.

But then the worries and fears and reality check kick in: lighter wind with larger wings, or not being as high on the foil as you should be, you will at some point catch leading edge as you turn.  The drag will mean you come off foil mid turn.  Wing position downwind means your body will land across the wing backwards.  I am wearing a harness hook, so that's a potential rip.  The board and foil at that point will be upwind and moving at speed, good chance it'll run into the leading edge of wing....potential pop.  Adding in murphy's law the board may also flip and then land foil into canopy....more rip potential.

So ... does the potential benefit justify the potential cost?  I think I leaning towards being negative nelly this morning ... for what is a fairly straightforward regular turn, I don't think it's worth the risks for me.  But hey, permanent intermediate over here, I won't ever be winning any style contests.   ;D

I have not tried them yet so this is just me blabbing off...but from what i see in the Gong vid and this last one i posted (good one at 1:46) the leading edge never goes below deck height.
They seem to almost touch their feet with it.

Three more days in the city and i'm off to the coast,will give this a try for sure!.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2021, 02:21:37 PM »
Today i tried this jibe a few times, the first one came out perfect,beginner's luck...Two fails on my bad side and another two sketchy but ok on both sides.

So it is reasonably easy,and it felt really good to go in full speed in the weakening wind without worrying about the wing backing into me.More tomorrow,liked it.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2021, 06:44:36 AM »
This "lay down jibe" happens to me when I screw up my Carving 360s.  I guess i need to polish it up a bit.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2021, 07:18:22 AM »
I am liking it a lot, in flat water you can really charge into the jibe at full throttle.Long radius flowy turn.
Still working on more bumpy terrain,keeping the foil in the water and carving at speed is hard :)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2021, 09:20:20 AM »
I'm working on this, I've given up on heel/toeside and just concentrating on switching feet during the jibe. I'm getting a few, and I tried a few laydown style yesterday. I more or less got one, though I touched down and couldn't pump right back up, the wind pooped out on me.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2021, 04:54:43 PM »
The Gong guys are calling it the racing jibe:
https://youtu.be/UMsyhXXclCI

The Light Wind jibe works very good too:
https://youtu.be/RDEm8DpLLT8

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2021, 10:01:33 PM »
Taken from Gorge race footage.
Not sure who this is ,i have seen Johny Heineken do this jibe in many clips.Switching feet before or after.Supercool.
It is kind of a duckjibe but pivoting the wing on the front handle and not the back one.

https://youtu.be/IpvhuVLPimo

Foilgeoff

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2021, 11:24:04 AM »
Amazing. Thanks for posting!

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2021, 11:39:06 AM »
Amazing. Thanks for posting!

Same but close up,slo mo and switching feet after.Johny Heineken has flow to burn :)

https://youtu.be/YZdw-5kRnTA

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal