Author Topic: "Lay down Jibe" - Better for Light wind?  (Read 11098 times)

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
"Lay down Jibe" - Better for Light wind?
« on: April 17, 2021, 08:00:39 PM »
Sometimes in low wind i go into a jibe and run into the Wing because i overtake it.

I saw the latest Gong vid and they do a few of this "Lay Down" windsurf style jibes,entry like a 360 and flip the sail just as it begins to backwind.

This may be better for lightish conditions as you cannot run into the Wing, i have not tried it yet.

Good example at 04:56 :

https://youtu.be/RxQidHlNJd8

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: "Lay down Jibe" - Better for Light wind?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2021, 09:45:09 PM »
Looks good. I've got to try that.

I lost my windsurfing mojo in the late 90's after roughly ten years of running to the Gorge or Manzanita every time I had a spare moment. I tore up my rotator cuffs (eventually both sides) playing rollerblade hockey and was out for about ten years getting my shoulders to work again. When I came back I could do a lot of things (King of the light wind waterstart for one) but I could not do a standard carving jibe, or duck, or step. After a few weeks of pounding my head against a wall I discovered I could still do a clean laydown jibe, which was probably the last jibe I learned. It's still the only planing windsurfing jibe I can pull off, but I can knock those off like I know what I'm doing.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2021, 12:39:22 PM »
Interested to see these. Have been doing them for sometime for heel side to toe side gybes. They are a really speedy, powered way to gybe. Feel really fluid when you get them dialled. Never seen one documented before.  :)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 12:41:15 PM by supunk »

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2021, 12:44:55 PM »
Jibes in light wind are tricky because you often move downwind faster than the wind speed so if you get the wing vertical in front of you it gets backwinded and you loose your speed.  Sheeting in the wing through the turn like in the video works, duck jibes also work well in light wind, or keeping the wing more horizontal in the jibe, spinning the wing quickly overhead and making a tight turn so you don't outrun the wind before powering up in the other direction.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 12:47:12 PM by blueplanetsurf »
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

Wingfoil1

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 01:52:17 AM »
The duck gybe is the best and easiest way to gybe in underpowered conditions. As soon as you let go of your front hand you get a little bit of power in the wing that helps you complete the gybe. The Balz Muller learning video (part 2) explains in detail how to do them

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 03:47:44 AM »
When you get it right it feels slicker and faster than a regular duck gybe to me. Its a tweaked duck gybe :)
Clip laying down a few alternate tacks and tweaks
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CHQno5jjkeo/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
Sorry for the head spinning orientation  ;D
Proceed as if you are going to do a 360 then just as you are about to backwind tumble the wing over your head. The wind will take it. Wish I had a clip from a viewers perspective. The Gong clip shows it perfectly.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 04:03:47 AM by supunk »

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2021, 09:36:24 AM »
When you get it right it feels slicker and faster than a regular duck gybe to me. Its a tweaked duck gybe :)
Clip laying down a few alternate tacks and tweaks
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CHQno5jjkeo/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
Sorry for the head spinning orientation  ;D
Proceed as if you are going to do a 360 then just as you are about to backwind tumble the wing over your head. The wind will take it. Wish I had a clip from a viewers perspective. The Gong clip shows it perfectly.

Nice (upside down :) ) vid!.Great examples of the jibe in question.

The advantage i see in the lay down jibes is that the wing is off to the side and aligned with wind and boardspeed in the downwind phase,which is were apparent wind will drop to zero or even negative.

I guess this is why windsurfers adopted it as standard for slalom jibes or big bottom turns.

I have to practice this, they look way cooler than standard jibes too IMHO.

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2021, 09:40:01 AM »
I stumbled across this gybe variation (I called it a 'flip gybe' in my head) when first attempting 360s but not tried it in the light. Thought that as it needs the wind to fill in from behind to complete it nicely, I would lose too much speed waiting for the wind to catch up. I'm a spin the wing quickly and crank in a turn kinda guy as it keeps the weight of the wing on the inside of the turn for longer which helps turn my big foil, but will try duck gybes next time it's light...
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

juandesooka

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2021, 11:11:44 AM »
interesting variation....going to have to do some dancing on the beach to figure out the mechanics of that.

Had a few extreme light wind days lately, where I can just barely stay up on foil and not enough speed or lift to get through the turn.  In these sessions I've been focusing on pumping training for surf foiling.  An interesting experiment has been pumping downwind through the turns, generates enough speed to keep wing stable. 

I am thinking this may also be an interesting option for learning to tack ... eg if I can pump upwind with wing luffed, then just turn the other way, re-engage, and off I go.  Dunno....tacks elude me....never could get that figured out kiting either.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2021, 07:01:30 PM »
Can someone post some time stamps of where they are doing this move in the video?

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2021, 09:23:40 PM »
1:48 and 4:55

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2021, 06:56:55 AM »
Here.  Graceful and compelling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vboTw9JpFc

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2021, 08:44:10 AM »
That’s it. Thanks Beasho  ;)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2021, 10:18:15 AM »
Damn, that's the way to do it. I'm going to put that on an infinite play loop in my head until I get it. The wing move is certainly something to practice on the beach. I've been trying to onehand the wing over my head in a jibe--it works on a tack. In a jibe, so far it's a sure way to get yanked off the board to the inside. I think that laydown move might work in higher wind if I hold enough speed. 
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2021, 11:53:06 AM »
Having watched that clip my only comment is that I find it much easier to complete it with my front hand in an over grip rather than an under, so might be worth experimenting on the beach to see which you prefer.
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal