Author Topic: Blue Planet Strongbox and handle  (Read 2464 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Blue Planet Strongbox and handle
« on: April 17, 2021, 01:37:15 AM »
I put a Blue Planet Tuttle/track strongbox into my old reliable Kalama board for surfing. That's one seriously stout box, I'm not worried about breaking that thing out. If I do the board will probably be in many tiny pieces. I'll sand it and hotcoat it in the morning. Now I can use both GoFoil and Axis foils with it. I also installed one of blue planet's handles on the bottom. This poor bugger is getting a bit heavy. I got a delam on the top and bottom a year or so ago and I fixed that, which added some weight. I also installed a mast track back when I thought I might try windfoiling. It's probably picked up five pounds with all this amateur hacking. Still a great board though, I'm looking forward to surfing it. My wife insists on reading my little message to myself as "Try Pono Be" instead of "Try Be Pono". That's as close to Pidgin as I get other than saying "Wheah you stay?"

« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 01:39:07 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Blue Planet Strongbox and handle
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2021, 12:15:51 PM »
Sanded and hotcoated. I don't know what my problem is with hotcoating in Maui. Maybe it's the ancient epoxy--the hardener is brownish, but it still kicks fine. I have never had a problem at my shop in Hood River, but here--uneven and blotchy. I sprayed a little rattlecan urethane on some sanded spots on the rest of the board. All this hacking hasn't done Dave's cool paint job any good. It used to be a really nice-looking ride, then Randy sold it to me and it's all downhill from there.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2021, 02:01:14 PM »
Did you use this Additive F stuff?.
I never have but i got terrible fish-eyeing on some epoxy jobs (a table and two carbon wing foil board handles) and i  have been told it works great for finishing coats.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2021, 05:56:57 PM »
I didn't. I never have. Fisheye is generally a symptom--it means there's something about the surface that is interrupting the flow out of the paint/epoxy. I just clean the surface really well and hope for the best. I didn't actually get fisheye, just a somewhat strange blockiness to the finish. Oh well, it's just the bottom, and the board worked fine. I didn't get rolling early enough to surf, so I winged it at Kehei. Fun session, fairly smooth wind with occasional lulls and my newly repaired Strike 5.0 worked well. Unfortunately I tied it to a tree to dry and a thorn must have nailed one of the bladders, It went slowly limp. Oh well, leak check and bladder repair. Damn.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2021, 06:12:51 PM »
Nice work Bill, and fast! 
I saw your order going out just a few days ago it seems.  It looks like it wants to go in the water today!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 06:15:22 PM by blueplanetsurf »
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2021, 06:21:23 PM »
It was in the water today. Worked great. Yeah, one day from receiving the package to done. Strong, fast, and pretty. Pick any two. I obviously chose 1 and 2.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2021, 07:46:13 AM »
Bill, Rick Holt (Kauai, makes all Titus’s stuff) messaged me a couple years back and let me know that F isn’t a cheat. It’s a necessity in humidity. Since then my fisheyes have dropped to nil. Guys with our shop cleanliness and focus on getting it into the water should give in and do it. 😂

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal