Author Topic: Infinity RNB vs Infinity New Deal?  (Read 5623 times)

405er

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Infinity RNB vs Infinity New Deal?
« on: April 16, 2021, 07:11:34 PM »
I've been paddling for 7-8 years, but really just got into SUP surfing with any consistency about a year ago.  I've been going out in 2-3' surf with a few 4' waves on a 10'4 183l Infinity Wide Aquatic.  Last month, I was in Nosara, Costa Rica for a week, where I rode a 9'6 F-one that was around 155l.  I'm now trying to figure out whether to buy an 8.8x32x142 RNB or a 9.6x31x141 New Deal.  I realize the basic differences between the two boards, I've researched what I can on the internet and I've talked to a couple people for advice, but I haven't been able to get any specifics or differences between how the two boards perform compared to each other.  Quite frankly, I don't think I have enough experience yet to know which one makes more sense for me anyways, unless it becomes painfully obvious when I demo both boards at Doheny or Sano in the next couple weeks, but I'd like to learn what I can from those of you with familiarity with these boards.  I'm 54 years old, weigh 180 lbs, and questionably athletic but very active on weekends.  I typically ride 2-4' waves and don't see myself going much bigger than that.  My current abilities are catching waves and riding straight in one direction, although I'm finally getting better at riding down the line instead of straight in to the beach.  My goals are to continue to make that first turn and ride down the line, start making more turns and eventually string together series of turns.  If I can get do that consistently, I'll be stoked.  Making sharp cutbacks and shredding would be great, but realistically not going to happen for awhile if ever.  Lol  Also, walking on the board and riding the nose like with traditional longboarding aren't really why I'd buy the New Deal.  What's important to me is balance on the water in less than perfect conditions, catching as many waves as possible and choosing the board that will be best suited for my goals.  I'd greatly appreciate any thoughts on the specific difference between these two boards in the water, or which one you think makes more sense for me in SoCal based on my experience and intended progression, or if you think I should go with a different size for either board.  Thanks for taking the time to read this and any advice!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 07:17:19 PM by 405er »

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Infinity RNB vs Infinity New Deal?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 10:40:47 PM »
The RNB is designed to go bottom to top fast, hit the lip and throw some buckets on steeper waves. The New Deal is a performer longboard that will maintain a glide on slopey less powerful SanO waves and carve with style, but not a noserider. You'll see a lot of New Deals at Sano because it suits that wave. The RNB is really loose, the New Deal is more locked in.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2021, 04:31:52 AM »
The 142 liter RNB has way too much volume for you at 180 lbs and probably would not surf well due to the excess buoyancy. You could go with the 8'5 x 31 x 33.5 liters but even that would be on the floaty side. The 8'8 B-Line would be a better choice and the wider outline might give it a bit more stability than the RNB.

The New Deal is a much more user friendly shape but at your weight, you'd be better off with the 9' x 31" x 125 liters.

125 liters is precisely the correct volume for your weight and 9' x 31" will give you plenty of stability.

I would go with either the 8'8 B-Line or the 9' New Deal depending on your style of riding.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 05:34:18 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

SurfKiteSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2021, 08:04:32 PM »
Unless you are set on getting an Infinity board the 9'2"x32(160L) or 8'7"x32(143L) 2021 Starboard Wedge may be worth a look at. 

Disclaimer: I am a newbie SUP surfer as well so my $.02 are barely worth anything. 

I just bought a 8'7" Wedge after riding a 9'2" Riviera Nugg for almost 6 months as my first board.  I had a lot of fun and caught many waves on the Nugg but it was a CL purchase, older board and, truthfully, I just wanted something shiny and new.

I was debating the 8'8" RNB as well but, for no real reason, the Wedge looked better to me in that sizing. I had no demos with either board.

I've only had a few sessions on the Wedge but am super happy with it so far.

There is a noticeable decrease in stability while standing around and extra paddle effort required to catch a wave with the Wedge but I think that is probably just a function of new board, dropping volume/size and increased nose rocker versus the Nugg.

I'm not skilled enough to quantify it but the Wedge feels livelier and more maneuverable once you're on a wave and I think has more performance than I'll be able to fully tap into for a long time.

my stats: 5'11", 195lb/89kg,  50-55y.o

BigZ

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2021, 09:16:24 PM »
I have both RNB and New Deal but in different sizes: 8’4x30x120l and 10x29x139l.
I am 6’4 and 235 pounds.

Both are great boards but completely different.

RNB is a very fast board that for me works best in small to medium waves. Very dynamic and you want to surf it actively.

New Deal is a high performance longboard and you need to surf it as one - trimming, active footwork. Very versatile- works well in a very wide range of conditions from small to double overhead.

Despite 20l volume difference both boards are very similar in stability. New Deal is very stable. RNB is incredibly stable.

The 8’8 RNB will be way to big for you. To get the performance you need to go as small as possible with RNB. No more than 20-30 liters over your weight in kilograms.

New Deal will be more versatile and will work better at higher weight to volume ratios.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 09:19:44 PM by BigZ »

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2021, 06:56:33 PM »
agree- Also had a 8'8 RNB @ 215 lbs (at the time)   way too big for you.  It was even too big for me in full winter gear (132 L) as a shortboard

The RNB is an amazing all terrain shape.  if you ever get into some juice....you wont want the New Deal especially if this is your one board quiver.

I have both RNB and New Deal but in different sizes: 8’4x30x120l and 10x29x139l.
I am 6’4 and 235 pounds.

Both are great boards but completely different.

RNB is a very fast board that for me works best in small to medium waves. Very dynamic and you want to surf it actively.

New Deal is a high performance longboard and you need to surf it as one - trimming, active footwork. Very versatile- works well in a very wide range of conditions from small to double overhead.

Despite 20l volume difference both boards are very similar in stability. New Deal is very stable. RNB is incredibly stable.

The 8’8 RNB will be way to big for you. To get the performance you need to go as small as possible with RNB. No more than 20-30 liters over your weight in kilograms.

New Deal will be more versatile and will work better at higher weight to volume ratios.

CB1

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2021, 05:52:11 PM »
agree- Also had a 8'8 RNB @ 215 lbs (at the time)   way too big for you.  It was even too big for me in full winter gear (132 L) as a shortboard

The RNB is an amazing all terrain shape.  if you ever get into some juice....you wont want the New Deal especially if this is your one board quiver.

If I may jump in on the conversation, would you consider the RNB a good (US) east coast beach break board?  (Assuming you are east coast from screen name).   Did you consider the B-Line at all? (I like the outline, but unsure if the rocker would make it too slow for east coast conditions unless it's really pumping).   And since you have th RNB, is the decked domed any or is it somewhat flat?

Thanks for any comments!
supSURFmachines
Longboard 9'2" x 29.5" x 4.25  140L
AC Grande - 8'5" x 31" x 4 3/8  135L
Wide Ripper - 7'8" x 30.75"  105L

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2021, 09:19:49 AM »

If I may jump in on the conversation, would you consider the RNB a good (US) east coast beach break board?  (Assuming you are east coast from screen name).   Did you consider the B-Line at all? (I like the outline, but unsure if the rocker would make it too slow for east coast conditions unless it's really pumping).   And since you have th RNB, is the decked domed any or is it somewhat flat?

Thanks for any comments!

I have a Genration Wedge which is very similar to the B-Line and you are spot on with your rocker comment RE east coast waves.

its VERY rare that that board gets out (needs at least a waist high wave and clean conditions)

I would not consider a B Line as your only board on the east coast.  I consider that a quiver board for sure. 

RNB goes in anything. on the one I had the deck was domed but just very slightly.  Not rearly as much as say a Sunova board like the Flow or Casey.

RNB is a fantastic option on the east coast if you can only have one board

Hope that helps!

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2021, 02:23:28 PM »
RNB goes in anything. on the one I had the deck was domed but just very slightly.  Not rearly as much as say a Sunova board like the Flow or Casey.

The Flow has a flat deck.  You must be thinking of the Speeed.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2021, 05:26:53 PM »

The Flow has a flat deck.  You must be thinking of the Speeed.

Badger- You are right.  mixing up models.   i was thinking of the Acid.  Too much fun to choose from at Jim's Extreme Windurfing Sunova Demos.

Kojack

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2021, 07:31:23 PM »
I own both of these boards and they actually make a great two board quiver.  My RNB and New Deals are both custom that I got before the production boards came out so the dims of mine are different than what your options are today.  The RNB is a great board-stable can be quick down the line, skatey but is not what I would call an easy board to really whip around as it has a wide tail-hence why it is so stable.  The New Deal while longer, actually turns better in my opinion.  more drawn out turns but this board also works well in all types of conditions and you will benefit with the added length in your wave count.  I have ridden all sorts of prone boards before starting to SUP and have always loved lonboarding-It doesn't sound like that is what you are really into though..

If I were you, I would start with the New Deal-it is a board you will always want to keep in your quiver and maybe adding a RNB or a Bline down the road.  You might want to check out the 10x29 too along with the wider 9'6".  narrower has some benefits, but 29 vs 31 def is different on the stability side of things.

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2021, 12:05:08 PM »
Whoever e-mailed me about the Wedge (Ed?) try sending a PM on here for me to answer.   The email adress the message came from was an automated Zone address I cannot reply to.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal