Author Topic: Big Echos  (Read 2504 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Big Echos
« on: April 16, 2021, 10:55:25 AM »
I tried my new 7M echo yesterday afternoon in a light wind at the harbor and was reacquainted with all the issues of a no-strut wing. Like the tail sinking when you're getting started, and the weight of the boom. The boom is also hard to grab, which seems strange, but it's behind the huge leading edge. When I grabbed the boom too close to the leading edge I had some challenges getting my back hand on the boom. All that is a matter of getting used to the wing, but it surprised me a bit, and I struggled a bit in the super-light (10mph) wing, both getting to my feet and pumping onto the foil. I would have had a much easier time with a 6M F-one, but again, that's because I'm used to them.

No comparison in upwind performance, the Duotone goes upwind nicely, with a good stable feel, but compared to the F-one strike, a close reach is more like a broad reach.

It sounds like I didn't like the wing, and that's not the case. I think I'm going to really like these, but that going to take a little time. The performance and handling are much better than the 7M Airrush I was using in SoCal. I had some doubts about the string thing to manage the wing shape and keep the center of effort from wandering, but I was wrong, it works really well. The wing had none of the shifty feeling that the 1st generation large Duotones had. Smooth and powerful. I'm looking forward to trying the 6M now.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Big Echos
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 02:21:17 PM »
I have the 5M Echo.  While I 'understand' the problem of the tail sinking I no longer have a problem with it. 

When I climb on the board I always have my hand on the center soft handle.  And I push my hand DOWN on the deck as I am moving around or getting stable.  A quick movement of your hand forward is typically enough to fly the clew free.  If it sinks push your hand back down on the deck and the small air pocket between water and sail should fill and start flying the clew.

This works in bay and open ocean with solid wind.  I had some problems in the 5 knots of upwind current under the Golden Gate bridge which made things wonky. 

PS: I am still envious of the upwind ability of the F1 Strike.  But I am becoming more of a boom guy so I am holding out for the Duotone SLICK (I had to look the name up too many 1 syllable names)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 03:48:57 PM »
I’m with Beasho. The problem of the sinking clew goes away after 10 sessions.

I always felt the bigger sizes were the best ones. 6m being the best one. Only tried the 7m once.

The smaller you go, the less I loved them. As you go down in size, they get harsher in gusty wind. I felt like they added to my shoulder issues. Some give can be good.

pafoil

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 09:22:05 PM »
I have the 7m and it's the perfect wing for light wind. It's not very good to starts sinkers but works fine with a bit of wind. I can ride this thing in almost no wind, 8 knt and less.
I sold all my other echos, because the lack of surfing ability but I'm keeping this one.
The high dihedral is critical for big wings, I have more issues catching tips in my 5.4 Sling V2.
Just pump it a bit over 6 psi or to 7 psi.
There is just nothing better for jumping.   :D.
I hope they don't stop doing it.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 09:59:36 PM »
I fully expect most of the issues to go away. I started wingfoiling with duotones, and liked the small sizes. the big wings in even moderate wind were a handful. I'm glad to see that isn't the case with the echo.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Jeroensurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 10:06:50 PM »
I sold my 6m echo because I didnt get used of the sinking tail and the big V shape that makes it a handfull when riding swell.
Lately I had a few runs with the new slick and suggerst you try that one, imo it is just the better wing.
More stable, easier to pump and better handeling due its compact shape and it feels like it has more useable low end power.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 10:14:46 PM »
I would if I could. The line for the first big slicks is stupid long.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2021, 03:31:52 AM »
I would if I could. The line for the first big slicks is stupid long.

Keep a watch on these guys. Last season they had them, when others did not. They show real inventory on the site. Being in Florida, they prebook big sizes.

https://www.nbwindsurfing.com/shop/Wing-Foiling/Wings/p/Duotone-Slick-Foil-Wing-x55793784.htm

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2021, 08:22:22 AM »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal