Author Topic: Jumping!!!!  (Read 2409 times)

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Jumping!!!!
« on: April 16, 2021, 07:02:25 AM »
My progression with winging for 2ish years has led to the holy grail of jumping. I finally got on small, light enough gear to feel like its time to jump.  I am just making it up as I go. Of course I read everything I can and watch all the videos on jumping but I still feel like I'm just "winging" it. Here's how it goes for me:
Jumpers, or non jumpers please chime in with tips.
1. get in both footstraps
2. bear off slightly and get as much speed as possible
3. get in athletic attack stance(wide stance, knees bent a bit more than typical)
4. try not to explode violently with all this happening and have a hideous strapped tamohawk
5. get as high on mast as possible
6. find a ramp to send off
7. dip board down almost to water and then pull it up and time that with ramp
8. bring wingding up overhead and point LE up, pulling on power handle hard
9. BOOOOSSSST!!!!
10. level wingding out and Mary Poppins back to Earth
11. foil touches water followed by board (scariest part fight or flight)
12. pop back up on foil and repeat

My kit is:
Moon Buddy 80L 5'
Axis 82cm AL mast
HPS 980
380 stab
SS Dart 4.5

It gets more comfortable each time. It is, so far, relatively low impact. My front elbow gets a little tennis elbowy after a full huck session. I am trying to take off loaded and going across the wind and land running downwind. This worked for kiting and seems to work for winging.
Just when I thought winging couldn't get any more fun.....I am back to kid in candystore mode. Time to start thinking about spinning. Seems horrifying currently.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Jumping!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 07:21:49 AM »
I jump mine with a combination of windsurfer technique and kite technique.

I load up to the max by heading upwind a touch. Off the wind would unload. I trying for max speed, with legs and foil highly loaded. I push down with rear foot to help the foil wheelie and launch on take off. Always with help from a wave or piece of chop.

Once airborne, I bare off the wind for the landing. Pulling the wing overhead, like we do on a windsurfer jump.

I’m no expert though. I never kite foiled with straps, so I never jumped a foil before.

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 07:55:14 AM »
My take away points have been:
- be smooth - to begin with I was forcing the pop and as a consequence I wasn't in full balance on take off, so got out of shape in the air and crashed rather than landed
- timing is critical - jumps will be a bit flat if sync between board and wing is off, but others that you hook up into nicely feel effortless and are bigger
- the more vertical you point the wing the better the boost
- my patch is flat water so I look for gusts rather than chop to jump in
- power is your friend!
- my abs will hurt the next day!

One thing I will work on next time is popping into the wind. I've been going cross wind which has been ok but don't think I'm maximising the potential...
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

Wingingtanuki

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 08:21:13 AM »
Thanks for this! I'm not there yet, but starting to think maybe I should try it. 

Not liking my strap positioning at the moment, though.  Every session I put them on and every session I take them off half way through.  They just don't feel comfortable (hurt the side of my feet) and they screw up my jibes.

Where do you have your straps in relation to the foil and how many and what angle for the front?

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 09:58:24 AM »
Have you guys that are jumping your wingboards ordered a new board yet? Because these things are not built like windsurfers and are pretty weak unless custom bulit. Seen alot of pictures of wingboard issues after jumping them.

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 10:06:44 AM »
Get a DW board and you can jump all day long with no worry of breaking it. I try to nose the board down on landings.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 11:04:31 AM »
I'd love to jump, but the first time I tried it going over a wave at Ka'a my knee ached like crazy for a week. I'm going to have to try it with an unloader brace.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal